What I was most dissapointed in.

I think I am most dissapointed because I had higher expectations for Pruitt.

I had higher expectations that he would at least have this team ready to compete against a bad UF squad.

All I read or heard last year is that we were a competent coach away from winning winnable games, and this one was winnable.

I also grew to expect embarrassing antics from Lane, Dooley, and Butch. I did not expect to see antics from Pruitt in his first SEC game as a HC.

I am sure there are defenses and excuses, or rationalizations for kicked white boards, risky back firing calls, and penalties against a coach but I expected more.

/End rant
I still think he can do it. But hell I believed Dooley and Butch could too, for a time.
what's the alternative?

expect the worst?

plan for failure?

it's his first year. it's our 10th in this decade of malfunction. our ten trumps his one. no matter what you were told, to me, and i include myself in this category, that's the single biggest thing affecting this fan base.

we're 10 years in to the suck. he's only got 1. and we really don't want him to add any more to it, even if this year really isn't going to be his fault.

we want someone to save us. and maybe he will. it just may take 3 years to do it.

People keep saying the "play calling is bad". Just what the hell can he call? Roll-outs get turned inside. Long and intermediate pass plays don't have enough time to develop. Short routes across the middle have the receiver blown up or held up. On and on this goes. So just what can he call??

I get what you’re saying, the OL is an absolute liability right now and makes everything more difficult offensively. However, I think we could at least mix up the runs and not run it straight into the middle of their line and stacked box over and over. It would be lovely to see a reverse, toss, or sweep thrown in to keep the defense really on their toes. Plus the predictability was really evident. We ran the ball almost every first and second down it seemed. But I’m not a coach, so I have no idea what they see at practice every day. I just hope we see some progress and improvement.

Wonder if Mulen was on our sideline and Pruitt as one theGators sideline if we still would have had6 turnovers and a safety?

Hate to state the obvious, but if The Great Grude had gone to the Hill, we win that game by three scores.

I had higher expectations that he would at least have this team ready to compete against a bad UF squad.

All I read or heard last year is that we were a competent coach away from winning winnable games, and this one was winnable.

I also grew to expect embarrassing antics from Lane, Dooley, and Butch. I did not expect to see antics from Pruitt in his first SEC game as a HC.

I am sure there are defenses and excuses, or rationalizations for kicked white boards, risky back firing calls, and penalties against a coach but I expected more.

/End rant
I still think he can do it. But hell I believed Dooley and Butch could too, for a time.
Key words..compete Coach. CJP has always been an assistant coach in the college ranks. Unproven behind the proverbial wheel..
I like the guy but so far he seems to be way, way, way in over his head and it shows during the games.

One big problem is our 4 and 5 stars never...or rarely....ever play like it. How about 5 star QB Crompton. He had his moments at the end...but it took forever. Wasn't Bray a 5 star? Highly touted recruits like Kongbo don't do squat. Coaching has been so bad....and its critical to our success.

Why do so many Tennessee fans think a new coach year one is going to come out and win? Do you see what we have right now as far as personnel? Our OL is stretched so thin we have a defensive lineman taking snaps with 2nd team.

You think because he was at Bama he was just going to come into Tennessee and in 8 months make a team go from 4-8 to 8-4? He had to undue everything that had been done the last few years. You don’t just do that in one offseason.

Realize we have to have a culture change before we can have a on field change. So buckle up it’s gonna be a long season, but Pruitt is the guy for the job.

Why do so many Tennessee fans think a new coach year one is going to come out and win? Do you see what we have right now as far as personnel? Our OL is stretched so thin we have a defensive lineman taking snaps with 2nd team.

You think because he was at Bama he was just going to come into Tennessee and in 8 months make a team go from 4-8 to 8-4? He had to undue everything that had been done the last few years. You don’t just do that in one offseason.

Realize we have to have a culture change before we can have a on field change. So buckle up it’s gonna be a long season, but Pruitt is the guy for the job.

I think the problem is that most feel that last years 4-8 team could have easily been 8-4 with decent coaching. I was not expecting 8-4 this year. I did expect us to be competitive and disciplined though. That to me is the biggest issue.

Reactions: MustafaRasta

/End rant
Blasphemy!!!! Pruitt is the savior of our program!!! Never question his teams!!! What did you really expect?!?!? You wanted to see our boys come out against an equally bad Florida team at home and not lie down like beaten dogs from the first snap of the game?!?!? Such a want it now attitude these days!!!!! Anyone with any sense knows he needs minimum 10 years to show improvement!!!! Come on man don’t be an idiot!!

How about not getting embarrassed by a team that went 4-7 last year with a new coach this year at home? If that was to much to expect then yeah I guess I’m guilty of expecting to much. Didn’t even expect to win, just expected a decent game between two terrible teams.

What I'm disappointed in is that the game made me lose my appetite and I couldn't finish my chicken wings.

Just kidding, I finished them. But it was out of anger.
Did you eat the bones too! I know I was angry enough to chew through a chicken bone!

Poor on-field execution and fumbles are out of the coach’s control. The only response would be to bench the player at fault. Unfortunately, we simply do not have the depth to do this.

How about not getting embarrassed by a team that went 4-7 last year with a new coach this year at home? If that was to much to expect then yeah I guess I’m guilty of expecting to much. Didn’t even expect to win, just expected a decent game between two terrible teams.

You take the turnovers away and it is a great game. Going into that game we had the least amount of turnovers in the SEC. Stop judging this team and coaches on one terrible game. It was an awful game, but when you turn the ball over 5 times in one half it’s kinda hard to look like a good.

No excuses for the awful ball security, but no one has mentioned we out gained them in yards and 1st downs. Take the turnovers away and all of y’all are singing a different tune.

I’m most disappointed with ball security against Fl. 6 is off the charts.
6+... That safety was basically a turnover plus 2 points for the gators.

Probably a dumb question.. does the "6 turnover count" include Pope's touchback/fumble through the back of the endzone?

You take the turnovers away and it is a great game. Going into that game we had the least amount of turnovers in the SEC. Stop judging this team and coaches on one terrible game. It was an awful game, but when you turn the ball over 5 times in one half it’s kinda hard to look like a good.

No excuses for the awful ball security, but no one has mentioned we out gained them in yards and 1st downs. Take the turnovers away and all of y’all are singing a different tune.
Yeah if we wouldn’t have played terrible fundamental football we might could have won, what’s the argument here?

/End rant
It takes a while to rebuild a football team. I know everyone is tired of hearing this. You have to change the culture. Look it took Rick Barnes a few years to change Tennessee basketball team. But now he has done it. Football has alot more guys to turn over a roster. Pruitt will get it done. Alabama wanted to fire Saban after his second year. Pruitt knows what it takes to win in the SEC. I just don't see many if any SEC players on this Tennessee roster right now. These freshmen and shophmore might be some just have to give it time.

Yeah if we wouldn’t have played terrible fundamental football we might could have won, what’s the argument here?

Well like I said we lead them statistically in everything. Just turnovers is why we lost. You are looking at only what they did bad.

The argument is stop acting like we even have the personnel to compete. Our OL is not only banged up, but not very good even if they weren’t hurt.

DL can’t put pressure on the QB.

Young. How many freshman are playing? How many kids played last week for the first time in Neyland when there was 100,000+ people there? Nerves is a factor. There’s a million reasons as to why they aren’t a very good team. Said it before the season started we might only win 3 games, 5 if we were lucky. Y’all just keep acting like these coaches are going to come in and win.

Well like I said we lead them statistically in everything. Just turnovers is why we lost. You are looking at only what they did bad.

The argument is stop acting like we even have the personnel to compete. Our OL is not only banged up, but not very good even if they weren’t hurt.

DL can’t put pressure on the QB.

Young. How many freshman are playing? How many kids played last week for the first time in Neyland when there was 100,000+ people there? Nerves is a factor. There’s a million reasons as to why they aren’t a very good team. Said it before the season started we might only win 3 games, 5 if we were lucky. Y’all just keep acting like these coaches are going to come in and win.
I’m looking at only what they did bad? I’m looking at the scoreboard my man, the only thing that matters.

Man all the negativity, where is the objectiveness? I get it fans are frustrated but to place blame on a coaching staff for **** they can't control on the field e.g. fumbled touchbacks, fumbles, Int etc. is ridiculous. I am not saying some coaching personnel are not to blame, where they need to improve is the talent they put on the field at a given time. Honestly I think JJ and London should be on the field as much as possible. I like London because I think he is the best blocker of all backs and that is what we need at this point. Chandler tries to do to much and has missed blocks, and statistically speaking he is only averaging 6.3 to London 6.0 yds a carry with only two more touches, but that is just my opinion which honestly matters not. Look the O-line is the root of most of the problems. the Defense hasn't bee horribly bad, hell statistically they are better than last year. If you revisit last years tape, the O line was a problem then as well, it was just masked by quick screens and the aggressive running by Kelly, but once the opponents defense made adjustments to the horrible play calling, you could see the decline in Kelley rushing and quick passes weren't as effective. Let's be honest, we don't have the big bodies needed right now to bring power football back to UT. If there are fans that thought that we had talent left over then they live in a bubble and are in denial. Class rankings mean little when the stars you bring in don't feel the voids your team needs. The truth is that it is gonna be a tough year and if anyone thought otherwise obviously bought into what the last coaching staff has sold them.

6+... That safety was basically a turnover plus 2 points for the gators.

Probably a dumb question.. does the "6 turnover count" include Pope's touchback/fumble through the back of the endzone?
I’m sure it is a dumb question. All I have is a dumb answer.

The best part of the game was when I was getting a hotdog for the kid. Get to the counter and it’s a 10 min wait for the dogs to heat up. I missed the fumble on the 2nd half kickoff and the points they score because of it. I was so confused by the score when I got back to our seats. I think they score a TD and we kicked a FG while I was waiting for a hotdog.

Man all the negativity, where is the objectiveness? I get it fans are frustrated but to place blame on a coaching staff for **** they can't control on the field e.g. fumbled touchbacks, fumbles, Int etc. is ridiculous. I am not saying some coaching personnel are not to blame, where they need to improve is the talent they put on the field at a given time. Honestly I think JJ and London should be on the field as much as possible. I like London because I think he is the best blocker of all backs and that is what we need at this point. Chandler tries to do to much and has missed blocks, and statistically speaking he is only averaging 6.3 to London 6.0 yds a carry with only two more touches, but that is just my opinion which honestly matters not. Look the O-line is the root of most of the problems. the Defense hasn't bee horribly bad, hell statistically they are better than last year. If you revisit last years tape, the O line was a problem then as well, it was just masked by quick screens and the aggressive running by Kelly, but once the opponents defense made adjustments to the horrible play calling, you could see the decline in Kelley rushing and quick passes weren't as effective. Let's be honest, we don't have the big bodies needed right now to bring power football back to UT. If there are fans that thought that we had talent left over then they live in a bubble and are in denial. Class rankings mean little when the stars you bring in don't feel the voids your team needs. The truth is that it is gonna be a tough year and if anyone thought otherwise obviously bought into what the last coaching staff has sold them.
Pruit said 33 got the ball less due to his fumble. That’s a coaching backfire. He was an aggressive mistake. That I can live with. If you check the tape on the 1st fumble the back went to the inside rusher that the TE didn’t handle. Had he went for the outside guy the the other guy would have done similar damage. He might have gotten there sooner and caused a fumble that we could have revived(No if or but there.).

Pruit said 33 got the ball less due to his fumble. That’s a coaching backfire. He was an aggressive mistake. That I can live with. If you check the tape on the 1st fumble the back went to the inside rusher that the TE didn’t handle. Had he went for the outside guy the the other guy would have done similar damage. He might have gotten there sooner and caused a fumble that we could have revived(No if or but there.).
TE got beat multiple times. Are u referring to the DWA play where he was beat off the edge and Jordan picked up his man, letting the Blitzer go free which allowed for a free hit on JG. That play literally happened in slow motion for me I saw it come a mile away. I would have like to think that JG's peripheral would have picked up DWA guy but that blitzing back came wide and it was complete blind side. Again it's easy for me to arm chair QB but Jordan should have picked up that Blitz and let the chips fall where they may. DWA had a poor showing against FL. I think UT is learning as they go, Banks is a FR and Jordan a SO. Upside is good for these guys.

VN Store

Back