What I am hearing about reasons for current UT Football dysfunction

This is not the reason we are not winning. I feel like you are buying into and spreading drama. I witness this type of behavior at churches with business decisions or who gets to do a project or program. It doesn’t stop them from being successful. I would actually suggest you think about all the top notch and winning programs where coaches almost get into fist fights over this type of stuff. The reason we have been so terrible has got to do with player execution. Imo the biggest reason is because we never have a big talented Senior and Junior classes anymore. Plus our qbs didn’t seem to be talented or mentally tough enough to lead UT football since Dobbs. I believe until we get jr/sr classes that are full of talent and mental ability with a Qb that can compete at this level then we continue to struggle.

so its the fan's fault again?
Of coarse it is not.
Some cannot accept the fact that Joe Fan Six Pack has no say whatsoever in how UT athletics function. Buying season tickets and parking pass allows you to park in a designated lot and to sit your ass in a narrow seat. Not to have any say in operations.
People that say it is the fans fault have no idea how expendable they are. They are full of themselves and feel entitled because of their meager donations for the right to buy tickets.

My experience is that you don’t hear about stuff like this until after staff is gone.

Typical “if you leak this information, I will never give you information again” type stuff

That's not generally how journalism works. If people were talking as much people on here like to pretend, someone would have picked up on it by now.

I believe Tee was forced on Pruitt by Fulmer. It's as if nobody paid any attention to USC and the issues they had there with Tee on staff. Staff didn't get along, coaches came and went and at the center of it all was Tee. Be careful what you ask for because you may just get it.

It’s obvious the program is a mess. If Pruitt had played this year the same Vandy team they played in 2018 instead of the beaten down undermanned squad they did, he’d ended with 8 straight double digit ass kickings.

Reactions: barrylee
Both were put in their high paying positions for only one reason, they do as told.
The problem with Vol football goes much higher than HC and AD.
There is a reason both have not been fired yet for incompetence.
He who sets on the Golden Throne above the High Table of Tennessee football makes all the decisions. Everyone blames CJP for sticking with JG at QB for so long. I cannot believe that would have been the case had it not been decreed from on high. If a HC has his starting QB picked out for him by others, the program will never improve. This meddling has gone on at UT for a long time.
Pruitt constantly blames everything and everyone but himself. He’s a problem.

Dont know! Dont care! Somethings not right! That's obvious, I understand groups can have weaknesses IE strong D-line and 2ndary, but weak linebacker play. WE HAD NOT "1" unit that excelled. NOT "1". first time in 52 years I have not been hopeful for the next season.......🤷‍♂️😕😕😕 ....Basketball School??

Reactions: barrylee
Dont know! Dont care! Somethings not right! That's obvious, I understand groups can have weaknesses IE strong D-line and 2ndary, but weak linebacker play. WE HAD NOT "1" unit that excelled. NOT "1". first time in 52 years I have not been hopeful for the next season.......🤷‍♂️😕😕😕 ....Basketball School??
CLOSE DOWN OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM!! call it, a "mercy killing"😢

This is not the reason we are not winning. I feel like you are buying into and spreading drama. I witness this type of behavior at churches with business decisions or who gets to do a project or program. It doesn’t stop them from being successful. I would actually suggest you think about all the top notch and winning programs where coaches almost get into fist fights over this type of stuff. The reason we have been so terrible has got to do with player execution. Imo the biggest reason is because we never have a big talented Senior and Junior classes anymore. Plus our qbs didn’t seem to be talented or mentally tough enough to lead UT football since Dobbs. I believe until we get jr/sr classes that are full of talent and mental ability with a Qb that can compete at this level then we continue to struggle.

In the course of "liking" your post, I noticed you have 300+ posts in 10 years and only 4 likes. That's incredible. What have you been posting about for 10 years?

In the course of "liking" your post, I noticed you have 300+ posts in 10 years and only 4 likes. That's incredible. What have you been posting about for 10 years?
There used not to be a “like button.” A lot of his posts could have come before then.

Talking to local reporters, some ex-players and others, below is what I have been able to gather about current state of football program. Now this all comes from informal chats and people claiming they know this stuff so take is for what it is worth.

1. Fulmer still likes to act like he is the head coach. He meddles into everything from basic practice to game planning, personnel etc. Pruitt is sick of being micro-managed.
  2. There are three factions in coaching staff:
    1. Tee and Jay are Fulmer's boys and they act very much like it too. Tee in particular acts like he is above head coach and has been cause of a lot of friction with in staff.
    2. Pruitt, Friend, Nerdimeyer, Weinke are in another camp. Tee and Jay particularly dislike Nerdimeyer
    3. Derek Ansely, Chaney and Shelton Felton generally stay away from these groups.
  3. Ansley has a weak personality and deflects any pressure to Pruitt. Lacks leadership.
  4. Pruitt micro-manages the offense through Chaney while Tee tries to run his own stuff. Chaney is very disengaged and even does not run a lot of meetings. He was not like this in his previous stunt here. He just stopped caring.
  5. Shelton Felton, Osovet, Brambaugh etc are/were good coaches who are just caught in amazing dysfunction. Brambaugh got fired because he was tired of Pruitt dissing DL all the time and he got into heated argument with Pruitt a lot.
  6. Tee tells people around him that he will be HC here someday and he will run this place like Belichik runs Patriots.
  7. Pruitt will be forced to let go of his guys (Friend gone, Nerdeimeyer and Weinke next). Tee will likely be Co-OC for 2021. Pruitt is fed up with Fulmer and would be happy to take his buyout and leave.
  8. Fulmer has a lot of boosters support and Pruitt still feels like outsider.
  9. Team is completely divided.
The amount of dysfunction and politics at UTAD is disgusting. Fulmer is root of it. Pruitt does not have the personality to be a HC who can handle all this and Tee is an opportunist who is waiting his turn fueling the infighting.

really??? and who the hell are you to put this kind of stuff out there? are you a booster? are you personal friends with any of these people? If so tell us! Have you even played football at any level? You are full of ****

True insiders will not come in here and spill the beans for you fans. They keep their information close to their chest and let y’all speculate until you figure out that all you do is post misinformation. They sit on this board and read all of the stuff you hear and they feed you more false info with a little bit of belief until you feel dumb for posting it. Trust me when it comes down to it there is no one on here that knows anything about what is going on inside the program that will post it for you to attack like 13 yr old kids. Insiders have insider knowledge because the people in the know have a small circle they trust to give any information too. If that information came out then they would know who said it and that person would not have the privilege to get any more access or info. Please speculate away and I will laugh at all of you because you have nothing but air and what you want to think. If you were such a good football minded individual maybe you would be standing on the sideline, but your not so stop with your rumor mills..

Pruitt is the head coach until the University of Tennessee says he isn’t. If you don’t like it go jump on another teams bandwagon. If you have played the game you can see there will be some coaching changes this year but it will not be the head coach..So stop talking about it.
Or what?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Considering the sterling, memorable season we had, a whopping 3 wins with only 7 losses, with the best players at every position, well prepared for every opponent, the OP must have it wrong to assert discord and apathy among the coaching staff. Thanks, VNers, for pointing out how wrong he was!!

Talking to local reporters, some ex-players and others, below is what I have been able to gather about current state of football program. Now this all comes from informal chats and people claiming they know this stuff so take is for what it is worth.

1. Fulmer still likes to act like he is the head coach. He meddles into everything from basic practice to game planning, personnel etc. Pruitt is sick of being micro-managed.
  2. There are three factions in coaching staff:
    1. Tee and Jay are Fulmer's boys and they act very much like it too. Tee in particular acts like he is above head coach and has been cause of a lot of friction with in staff.
    2. Pruitt, Friend, Nerdimeyer, Weinke are in another camp. Tee and Jay particularly dislike Nerdimeyer
    3. Derek Ansely, Chaney and Shelton Felton generally stay away from these groups.
  3. Ansley has a weak personality and deflects any pressure to Pruitt. Lacks leadership.
  4. Pruitt micro-manages the offense through Chaney while Tee tries to run his own stuff. Chaney is very disengaged and even does not run a lot of meetings. He was not like this in his previous stunt here. He just stopped caring.
  5. Shelton Felton, Osovet, Brambaugh etc are/were good coaches who are just caught in amazing dysfunction. Brambaugh got fired because he was tired of Pruitt dissing DL all the time and he got into heated argument with Pruitt a lot.
  6. Tee tells people around him that he will be HC here someday and he will run this place like Belichik runs Patriots.
  7. Pruitt will be forced to let go of his guys (Friend gone, Nerdeimeyer and Weinke next). Tee will likely be Co-OC for 2021. Pruitt is fed up with Fulmer and would be happy to take his buyout and leave.
  8. Fulmer has a lot of boosters support and Pruitt still feels like outsider.
  9. Team is completely divided.
The amount of dysfunction and politics at UTAD is disgusting. Fulmer is root of it. Pruitt does not have the personality to be a HC who can handle all this and Tee is an opportunist who is waiting his turn fueling the infighting.

I’ve heard similar that Fulmer has been a problem trying to play politics and power games like he just won the NC, which was 22 years ago. I don’t think Fulmer or Pruitt belong on the campus. Tee isn’t qualified to be a head coach. Hopefully whats been said above is untrue.

Reactions: EZE and Border Vol
All that being said.. what does all that have to do with our team playing like trash. We can’t even cover a simple slant. Most of this drama goes on at any university let alone a common workplace. It’s no excuse for 4 and 5 star players to play like dookie ..

We all like Tee personally, but he has far, far less experience than Pruitt does and we see how that is going. He was given a co - offensive coordinator position at SC for one season and their offense sucked - I believe he was calling plays. He is a good recruiter, but it isn't hard to recruit to SC, Alabama, Ohio State etc. Don't want Jay Graham as head coach either. We don't want anyone to be given a position just because they are a friend of Fulmer or played for Fulmer, - they need to be qualified. Dooley was hired because his family were friends of a booster.

Tee went to USC in 2012. Made OC in 2015 after being made Passing Game Coordinator in 2014. He shared play calling duties with Helton because big Bro wanted to get his brother some reps in calling plays too. So, Tee actually was OC two full seasons, before HC Helton let his brother get in the mix.
In 2017, USC posted its highest total offense average (484.1) since 2005, had at least 600 yards of total offense 3 times and ranked fifth nationally in first downs, 13th in total offense and 16th in passing offense. USC set school season records for passing yards (4,157) and passing first downs (192).
He doesn't sound like an inadequate OC.

VN Store

Back