What Happens if 'AA Sends UT Notice of Allegations Anyway?

I suspect it will all come down to the allegations and the proposed penalties. Pretty clear by now that UT won't and shouldn't accept anything that further reduces our scholarships. If they don't go after the post season or players on the roster, it might be something that UT wouldn't fight. Both sides would benefit by finding a way for the NCAA to save some face while UT gets some sort of harmless slap on the wrist and the only losers are the lawyers. Clear the deck and both sides go their separate ways. Having said that, the Eeyore in me says that it just won't be that simple. Frankly, even if it does go down the easy way, I'm sure the NCAA will continue to dig on UT. They're like herpes.....off and on. They'll never truly go away.
They are about 1/2 of a wrong step of going away forever in Div. 1 sports.

The current allegations the NCAA made are centered on Spyre being considered a booster. I believe they will have to rework allegations to proceed. They cannot control anything related to NIL. The money can't come directly from a booster to the athletes however if the money was given to Spyre from a large booster they can not control that either. The NCAA is dead in the water on everything pertaining to NIL and collectives. They would have to directly link a University employee to all of it to have a case.

Yes, that's why I started this thread. Just because there is an injunction regarding the NIL side of things, I would think this is not blanket immunity to do whatever the hell you want to do.

UT is a member of NCAA and there are bylaws to abide by, outside of NIL.....

Like, if there is still money swapping hands via McDonald's bags or even McDonald's bags with chicken nuggets and french fries, these actions would still violate the associations rules....
What is the NCAA investigating that's outside NIL?

The NCAA would be best to quit messing with UT. They had a 4 year investigation and went back to the well again. At this point it would be looked at as a witch hunt. The arm of the NCAA will never have the power it once welded. There time is over, they do not have the resources to fully do the job and they continue to expand the rule book with silly rules just like the latest one. They make them trivial rules to be able to poke around anytime they want. They no longer serve the best interest of the schools. And most college football fans have no faith in the NCAA or there ability to lead or be fair. All respect has been lost. GBO

The current allegations the NCAA made are centered on Spyre being considered a booster. I believe they will have to rework allegations to proceed. They cannot control anything related to NIL. The money can't come directly from a booster to the athletes however if the money was given to Spyre from a large booster they can not control that either. The NCAA is dead in the water on everything pertaining to NIL and collectives. They would have to directly link a University employee to all of it to have a case.
That was a backdoor attempt to regulate NIL by the NCAA, post NCAA vs Alston. It was patently false and a blatant anti trust, anti competition move. The judge busted them with the injunction. He doubled down on it with his statement that Tennessee is likely to win at trial on the merits of the case.

Last edited:
That was a backdoor attempt to regulate NIL by the NCAA, post NCAA vs Alston. It was patently false and a blatant anti trust, anti competition move. The judge busted them gir it with the injunction. He doubled down on it with his statement that Tennessee is likely to win at trial on the merits of the case.
I agree even if they reword their allegations and try to redifine it in those areas they will be shot down again. NIL is completely a non starter for the NCAA.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

short read

"A student-athlete may not agree verbally or in writing to be represented by an athlete agent in the present or in the future for the purpose of marketing the student-athlete's ability or reputation."

Marketing ones Name/Image/Likeness is separate from reputation or abilities. Hard to sell the argument it's the same since the NCAA was doing exactly that themselves by marketing students NIL to EA for video games until they got sued. Their attempts to monopolize the NIL of student athletes is what started all this.

That's essentially what they tried to do this time and there's no way that will work. They should just stop this retroactive persecution and figure out a set of rules that are legal and workable. Put 'em to paper and make everyone aware and clear. Then restart the clock and enforce from that point. Stop going back 2-3 years and making ish up to fit their agenda.
It would seem to me that the NCAA had their opportunity to penalize Tennessee for any infractions when they were involved in the Pruitt debacle. That case has been resolved already, and I don't see how the NCAA could go back at this point in time and try to punish Tennessee again for what has already been finished and filed, and punishment being enacted already.

The NCAA can’t do a thing.

The courts would happily crush them if they tried and I highly doubt they would even attempt something so insane.

Will the NCAA continue to investigate UT and can they claim UT broke rules that don't apply to NIL?

I seem to recall a few weeks ago the word on the street is they will be investigating UT for multiple wrong doings.

What is to stop the NCAA from not complying with the temporary injunction? How long is the temporary injunction in place, until there is a ruling and court order handed down?

What happens with the lawsuit moving forward, since basically there is just pending litigation?
You sure you hate Bama?

Oh, yes. They will fine comb any action that UT does, looking for violations.
Battered Vol Syndrome says they are stewing and looking for a screwing. It appears, if they cherry pick Tennessee for other minor violations, but then put harsh penalties in place as punative, it's a bad look for them. That never stopped them before. Like someone said, they could put us in a difficult bracket with a bad seed for basketball. (didn't that happen last year)? The NCAA has a punchbowl with an orange floater in it. And they say ESPN hates us!!

Thing is, other teams are doing everything we are being investigated for (NIL part) and it's going to be "hold my beer and watch this". I don't know if other states will band together like Tennessee did with Virginia, but just think if it was individual. NCAA lawyers have 48 more court cases to attend. (I'm dumb on this subject, but it sounds good).

Nope. UT and the state should go scorched earth on the NCAA. Use the legal system to smite them utterly. If the NCAA violates the injunction or keeps going after UT, fine more lawsuits, and name their officers individually in the lawsuits. Scorched...earth...

Smite is a word not used nearly enough in our 2024 vernacular.....

Will the NCAA continue to investigate UT and can they claim UT broke rules that don't apply to NIL?

I seem to recall a few weeks ago the word on the street is they will be investigating UT for multiple wrong doings.

What is to stop the NCAA from not complying with the temporary injunction? How long is the temporary injunction in place, until there is a ruling and court order handed down?

What happens with the lawsuit moving forward, since basically there is just pending litigation?
IMG_5442.gif
It was there UT laid his ruin, and smote his ashes upon the mountainside.

That was a backdoor attempt to regulate NIL by the NCAA, post NCAA vs Alston. It was patently false and a blatant anti trust, anti competition move. The judge busted them gir it with the injunction. He doubled down on it with his statement that Tennessee is likely to win at trial on the merits of the case.

And the Universities are using NIL as a back door to have booster's money transferred to athletes. Neither side in this is an angel. And neither side has the best interest of the athletes. It is all about the money.

"A student-athlete may not agree verbally or in writing to be represented by an athlete agent in the present or in the future for the purpose of marketing the student-athlete's ability or reputation."

Marketing ones Name/Image/Likeness is separate from reputation or abilities. Hard to sell the argument it's the same since the NCAA was doing exactly that themselves by marketing students NIL to EA for video games until they got sued. Their attempts to monopolize the NIL of student athletes is what started all this.

It is a very thin line between the two. If a player did not have a reputation or ability as a star athlete, for most of them there would be no one wanting to market their name, image or likeness.

It is a very thin line between the two. If a player did not have a reputation or ability as a star athlete, for most of them there would be no one wanting to market their name, image or likeness.
NIL is here to stay, the NCAA will have no say so about it. They had 4 years, their reign of arbitrary power is OVER. There ego needed deflating. They may stay in some capacity but they will not be the welding arm of power among the power 5. GBO!

NIL is here to stay, the NCAA will have no say so about it. They had 4 years, their reign of arbitrary power is OVER. There ego needed deflating. They may stay in some capacity but they will not be the welding arm of power among the power 5. GBO!

Are you okay with no governance at all? Players don't have to go to school or progress towards a degree? The highest bidder wins? Players can be poached mid-year by another team with more $$'s?

What next? Kick the SEC to the curb? Why are they needed?

The NCAA already tried that and were stopped from doing it by the injunction. The NCAA can't interfere with NIL in any way.

That is a great article. Favorite quotes: "If the definition of insanity is repeating actions and expecting a different outcome, then folks at NCAA headquarters are auditioning for an asylum visit."

And: "Instead of embracing collective bargaining, the NCAA marches to the beat of its broken drum and begs Congress for a lifeline. It’s third-and-18 for the NCAA, and it’s once again handing off to the fullback against a stacked defense. Insanity."

The injunction is in place until the court case plays out. But charging UT with breaking NIL rules may not be the NCAA's only option. It could try to reinterpret alleged violations as breaking rules regarding only boosters, even if those boosters were acting on behalf of an NIL collective.
judge already ruled on this, inclucing boosters being involved. At this point NCCA has no jurisdiction at all concerning what we have heard UT has been alleged.

VN Store

Back