What Happens if 'AA Sends UT Notice of Allegations Anyway?

madbamahater

Will the NCAA continue to investigate UT and can they claim UT broke rules that don't apply to NIL?

I seem to recall a few weeks ago the word on the street is they will be investigating UT for multiple wrong doings.

What is to stop the NCAA from not complying with the temporary injunction? How long is the temporary injunction in place, until there is a ruling and court order handed down?

What happens with the lawsuit moving forward, since basically there is just pending litigation?

Reactions: savannahfan
Will the NCAA continue to investigate UT and can they claim UT broke rules that don't apply to NIL?

I seem to recall a few weeks ago the word on the street is they will be investigating UT for multiple wrong doings.

What is to stop the NCAA from not complying with the temporary injunction? How long is the temporary injunction in place, until there is a ruling and court order handed down?

What happens with the lawsuit moving forward, since basically there is just pending litigation?

Uh ... then the court can assess civil penalties that escalate until such time as the NCAA relents? Not to mention the fact that any party that violates a court-ordered injunction is not helping their odds of winning the associated case? I'm not a lawyer, but I am fairly certain repeated violations of injunctions is a fast track to a losing court case, at which time the NCAA would be ordered to both cease and make whole the plaintiffs.

Do you think those imperial imps really want to phock with Tennessee and its fans? Do ya?
FrontierVol1.jpg

I suspect it will all come down to the allegations and the proposed penalties. Pretty clear by now that UT won't and shouldn't accept anything that further reduces our scholarships. If they don't go after the post season or players on the roster, it might be something that UT wouldn't fight. Both sides would benefit by finding a way for the NCAA to save some face while UT gets some sort of harmless slap on the wrist and the only losers are the lawyers. Clear the deck and both sides go their separate ways. Having said that, the Eeyore in me says that it just won't be that simple. Frankly, even if it does go down the easy way, I'm sure the NCAA will continue to dig on UT. They're like herpes.....off and on. They'll never truly go away.

I suspect it will all come down to the allegations and the proposed penalties. Pretty clear by now that UT won't and shouldn't accept anything that further reduces our scholarships. If they don't go after the post season or players on the roster, it might be something that UT wouldn't fight. Both sides would benefit by finding a way for the NCAA to save some face while UT gets some sort of harmless slap on the wrist and the only losers are the lawyers. Clear the deck and both sides go their separate ways. Having said that, the Eeyore in me says that it just won't be that simple. Frankly, even if it does go down the easy way, I'm sure the NCAA will continue to dig on UT. They're like herpes.....off and on. They'll never truly go away.
Nope. UT and the state should go scorched earth on the NCAA. Use the legal system to smite them utterly. If the NCAA violates the injunction or keeps going after UT, fine more lawsuits, and name their officers individually in the lawsuits. Scorched...earth...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227-083718.png
    Screenshot_20240227-083718.png
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 7
The injunction is in place until the court case plays out. But charging UT with breaking NIL rules may not be the NCAA's only option. It could try to reinterpret alleged violations as breaking rules regarding only boosters, even if those boosters were acting on behalf of an NIL collective.

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
The injunction is in place until the court case plays out. But charging UT with breaking NIL rules may not be the NCAA's only option. It could try to reinterpret alleged violations as breaking rules regarding only boosters, even if those boosters were acting on behalf of an NIL collective.
The NCAA already tried that and were stopped from doing it by the injunction. The NCAA can't interfere with NIL in any way.

Nope. UT and the state should go scorched earth on the NCAA. Use the legal system to smite them utterly. If the NCAA violates the injunction or keeps going after UT, fine more lawsuits, and name their officers individually in the lawsuits. Scorched...earth...
I've been around for 7 decades. Seen enough of the "legal system" to know how unpredictable it can be. For proof, just look at how it's operating today. Both sides have far too much to lose by continuing down this road. Take the path of least resistance and pain on this one. Figure it out and move on. Eventually, the SEC and Big whatever number it is now....will form a super conference and separate football from everything else anyway.Then they'll be out of our hair for good. Until that day, we go our separate ways and move on.

That's essentially what they tried to do this time and there's no way that will work. They should just stop this retroactive persecution and figure out a set of rules that are legal and workable. Put 'em to paper and make everyone aware and clear. Then restart the clock and enforce from that point. Stop going back 2-3 years and making ish up to fit their agenda.

I've been around for 7 decades. Seen enough of the "legal system" to know how unpredictable it can be. For proof, just look at how it's operating today. Both sides have far too much to lose by continuing down this road. Take the path of least resistance and pain on this one. Figure it out and move on. Eventually, the SEC and Big whatever number it is now....will form a super conference and separate football from everything else anyway.Then they'll be out of our hair for good. Until that day, we go our separate ways and move on.
What does UT have to lose?

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
That's essentially what they tried to do this time and there's no way that will work. They should just stop this retroactive persecution and figure out a set of rules that are legal and workable. Put 'em to paper and make everyone aware and clear. Then restart the clock and enforce from that point. Stop going back 2-3 years and making ish up to fit their agenda.
The NCAA clock is broken. Any time that they come up with that trues to interfere with NIL is a non starter.

There are at least 3 options for the NCAA

1. Get an anti trust exemption from Congress. Senator's Dodd and Blackburn have both said that there is essentially no interest in this in the Senate, and it's not going to happen.

2. Admit that they can't control things with their silly and illegal rules, and blatantly inept and selective enforcement, and stick to promoting college sports and stay out of trying to have recruiting rules.

3. Wave the surrender flag, admit the athletes are professionals, pay them, have an employees union, have a collective bargaining agreement, and continue to stay out of trying to illegally restrict NIL.

If they don't choose one of these, their days as a sports rules organization are numbered. They may be anyway.

The NCAA already tried that and were stopped from doing it by the injunction. The NCAA can't interfere with NIL in any way.

No quid pro quo then it isn't NIL and you have a violation. One reported case and the NCAA probably investigates. Just saying

FWIW

Last edited:

This is a proven legal settlement method, but TN would have to admit some guilt and right now they are adamant they are not guilty of anything. You have also got the 'repeat offender' rule in play. And I don't think they give a rats ass about letting the NCAA save face. It may just be a standoff until a court settles it.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Remember it is illegal to have a banner, gift basket or anything special in a hotel room on a recruiting visit. Hotel employees that snitch on a university or collective will be honored at the next NCAA rules committee meeting with a Starbucks gift card. NCAA was a solid idea that went bad when the small barely solvent schools restricted anything that the large profitable universities found reasonable. The day of the faceless ncaa bureaucrats being feared is nearing an end.

It doesn't matter how much investigating the NCAA does if there was no violation by anyone associated with UT. NCAA investigators spent a lot of time on campus questioning UT personnel and found no violations by anyone at UT. That is why Chancellor Plowman was so indignant about the NCAA trying to punish UT for something the Spyre Group did.

They may get back us by bad seeding for basketball or baseball tournaments or whatever influence they have in the football playoffs.

Tell them to pound sand

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I think some of you are misinterpreting what the injunction was about. This did not stop the investigation the NCAA was performing against UT.

Reactions: madbamahater
This injunction only suspended enforcement of specific NIL rules at this time. If the NCAA can prove that a booster was involved with paying for the unofficial visit and flight for Nico, that clearly violates recruiting rules NIL or not.

Reactions: madbamahater
This injunction only suspended enforcement of specific NIL rules at this time. If the NCAA can prove that a booster was involved with paying for the unofficial visit and flight for Nico, that clearly violates recruiting rules NIL or not.
The recruiting rules as applied to NIL violate the Sherman Antitrust Act. Federal law overrides a private group's'rules 100% of the time.

The NCAA is trying to claim that NIL collectives fall under their booster rules.
That's a moot point, because regardless of what the NCAA calls them, those rules are an illegal restraint of trade.

I think some of you are misinterpreting what the injunction was about. This did not stop the investigation the NCAA was performing against UT.
Yes, that's why I started this thread. Just because there is an injunction regarding the NIL side of things, I would think this is not blanket immunity to do whatever the hell you want to do.

UT is a member of NCAA and there are bylaws to abide by, outside of NIL.....

Like, if there is still money swapping hands via McDonald's bags or even McDonald's bags with chicken nuggets and french fries, these actions would still violate the associations rules....

Reactions: volfan102455

What's to stop UT from not complying with the NCAA?

Yes, that's why I started this thread. Just because there is an injunction regarding the NIL side of things, I would think this is not blanket immunity to do whatever the hell you want to do.

Like, if there is still money swapping hands via McDonald's bags or even McDonald's bags with chicken nuggets and french fries, these actions would still violate the associations rules....
Why would anyone use fast food bags when they can use NIL?

Reactions: McMannis

We broke no rules. You can't be held accountable retrospectively for a rule that didn't exist at the time of the occurrence.

VN Store

Back