What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

This "truck" wouldn't be pulling much of a boat. This thing is just a grocery getter with a bed.
Yes and no. The 4 cyl hybrid pulls 2k pounds. The 4 cyl turbo pulls more. But people who are in the market for something like this, I would have been 2 years ago, aren't interested in something that pulls boats or 20 foot trailers. I strongly considered a Ridgeline 2 years ago.

A 40mpg truck grocery getter daily driver with ground clearance and a cargo bed. I would have gone for a test drive 2 year ago.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
This "truck" wouldn't be pulling much of a boat. This thing is just a grocery getter with a bed.
You understand there are some people who want to get groceries, haul yard debris away, pick up materials for a small project, pull jet skis or small boat and don't want a truck which does more than they will ever require?

As opposed to rear wheel drive? We’ve had rear wheel p-ups forever so what’s your point. Makes as much sense as the wannabe cowboy who buys a super duty 350/3500 and won’t even take it on a gravel road.

Point is once the front wheels start spinning pulling out your 18’ Searay you’ll need 3 or 4 big boys to sit on the hood.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
There's always a troll parade saying "I wouldn't buy that unless it can tow 7000 pounds" about every vehicle. Nothing anybody can do about that. You just have to wait until the parade goes by.

Nobody with any brains would look at this as a tow vehicle.

There's always a troll parade saying "I wouldn't buy that unless it can tow 7000 pounds" about every vehicle. Nothing anybody can do about that. You just have to wait until the parade goes by.

Nobody with any brains would look at this as a tow vehicle.

It would tow 3,500 pounds up a wet ramp much better with rear wheel drive though.

You understand there are some people who want to get groceries, haul yard debris away, pick up materials for a small project, pull jet skis or small boat and don't want a truck which does more than they will ever require?
Apparently not

Yes and I fully support them buying it, I hope Ford sells millions of them.

I mean it'll pull any fishing or pontoon boat and most ski boats. I'm not sure what else you thought you'd get from a compact. I was hoping for 5000lbs towing like the Santa Fe. But it's pretty much in line with the old smaller V6 model compact trucks. There's nothing too bad here, at least in the eco boost model. Not everyone wants to drive a freightliner. I may even look at one used in a few years, once we see what kind of bugs it has in it.

I mean it'll pull any fishing or pontoon boat and most ski boats. I'm not sure what else you thought you'd get from a compact. I was hoping for 5000lbs towing like the Santa Fe. But it's pretty much in line with the old smaller V6 model compact trucks. There's nothing too bad here, at least in the eco boost model. Not everyone wants to drive a freightliner. I may even look at one used in a few years, once we see what kind of bugs it has in it.

There must be a market for them and I said above I hope ford sells millions of them.

There must be a market for them and I said above I hope ford sells millions of them.
I bet they'll sell the heck out of them. They don't have much competition in that segment. Hopefully Chevy, Toyota, and Dodge take the hint.

Me too, maybe they will drive down the demand and price for the 1/2 ton trucks.
Heck a mid size would do anything I'd ever need it to. If they could just get a 4x4 crew cab with a towing package below 30k. In cars I just buy used. Can't do that in trucks without a bazillion miles on it. I'm hoping more trucks will make the used market sane again.

Mom had a Maverick...loved that car.
It takes a man to admit loving a Maverick.

Funny story. My grandad had a tan Maverick with that awful plastic vinyl seating. When you sat in the drivers seat you just went down down down. When he died my dad brought it home. My niece was only 5 or 6 at the time and called it the ghetto cruiser. She would lay down in the back seat when she had to ride in it.

Reactions: Wireless1
I've owned all 4 major mid size trucks (Colorado, Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline. The Ranger wasn't available during my ownership time). The best one was the Ridgeline. Towed everything I needed (probably even over the 5K limit) and more (even on the original Alaskan Highway in the winter which is now a off-road trail, thanks Google Maps). Handles better than the other trucks in adverse weather as well.

The redesigned front end on the '21 Ridgeline model also looks much better now. And they've amped it up a bit. There was a time I wouldn't have entertained such a "truck" but at my age and uses now, such a capable and dependable "truck" getting 26 mpg on a standard 3.5 V6, instead of dinky turbos is becoming more appealing. Besides, that in bed trunk/cooler is sweet. Only thing I can ding on it is the gold wheels on the off-road model. And if GM hasn't improved the reliability of that 3.6 they still use, the heck with a Colorado. That engine in my 05 CTS was horrid. I'm leery of Nissan quality these days. Maybe they still hold their own on the altimas and Maximas, buy in the Fortier and SUV's, they had a drawn out issue of the coolant leaking into the tranny, and ruining it.

We acquired a low mileage '17 Pilot FWD for my wife. Wanted the AWD, but it had 40K more miles in the same year so we gave up the AWD for the low mileage. Suspension is firm, but rides smooth and confident. Excellent vehicle. I'm sure the Ridgeline would tow every bit of it rating.

Last edited:
Heck a mid size would do anything I'd ever need it to. If they could just get a 4x4 crew cab with a towing package below 30k. In cars I just buy used. Can't do that in trucks without a bazillion miles on it. I'm hoping more trucks will make the used market sane again.

The Ranger/S-10 class would do 90% of what most people that buy 1/2 tons need done. But they are stupid expensive for what you get.

The redesigned front end on the '21 Ridgeline model also looks much better now. And they've amped it up a bit. There was a time I wouldn't have entertained such a "truck" but at my age and uses now, such a capable and dependable "truck" getting 26 mpg on a standard 3.5 V6, instead of dinky turbos is becoming more appealing. Besides, that in bed trunk/cooler is sweet. Only thing I can ding on it is the gold wheels on the off-road model. And if GM hasn't improved the reliability of that 3.6 they still use, the heck with a Colorado. That engine in my 05 CTS was horrid. I'm leery of Nissan quality these days. Maybe they still hold their own on the altimas and Maximas, buy in the Fortier and SUV's, they had a drawn out issue of the coolant leaking into the tranny, and ruining it.

We acquired a low mileage '17 Pilot FWD for my wife. Wanted the AWD, but it had 40K more miles in the same year so we gave up the AWD for the low mileage. Suspension is firm, but rides smooth and confident. Excellent vehicle. I'm sure the Ridgeline would tow every bit of it rating.
I actually don't like the Ridgeline redesign. The old one looked like a truck at least. The new one looks like a Pilot

I've owned all 4 major mid size trucks (Colorado, Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline. The Ranger wasn't available during my ownership time). The best one was the Ridgeline. Towed everything I needed (probably even over the 5K limit) and more (even on the original Alaskan Highway in the winter which is now a off-road trail, thanks Google Maps). Handles better than the other trucks in adverse weather as well.
My acceptance of what a truck is probably higher than yours. It performs decent on relatively flat ground or with no heavy tow but when you get thing on rough terrain pulling weighted trailers, you realize then that a truck with a frame is much more suited. The ground clearance alone makes it feel like half a truck when you really test it out. I always felt like with no tow, it handled similar to the Odyssey or Pilot (all three are the same platform). They just feel like a family oriented vehicle, which it is. I worked at Honda for 5 years and have driven many of them (including my own), some even modified heavily. It's a comfortable (half)truck to drive no doubt, but it lacks what makes a truck, a truck. Anyone who needs a truck to use as a truck to do heavy task is not buying a unibody truck that pulls with the front wheels. They're like a minivan for suburban dad's that don't want to be seen driving a minivan.

What's hilarious is they use to park them up on a hill for marketing purposes. If it rained enough and the road up was used a bit, I had to pull them out of a certain section with my old 80s 4wd S10 lol. Everyone use to get a kick out of that.

I firmly believe whoever brings back a cheap as balls mini truck like a Hardbody, S-10, B2200, Ranger, ect will do extremely well.

Last edited:
I actually don't like the Ridgeline redesign. The old one looked like a truck at least. The new one looks like a Pilot

The oldest one still resembled a Pilot front end, but yes was more truckish. I just didn't care for the high angled bed into the cab. The re-design looked like our 2017 Pilot. Improved the bed design, but, yes, exact front facia as Pilot, so lost a few points. 2021 Model has more squared off front and looks better. They did make some noticeable differences at the nose that makes it more palatable than looking like a Pilot. I pulled up the new Maverick for comparison and that would have to be a no compared to the ridgeline. Of course, if you're gonna be in the ridgeline price range, can always stick with the tried and true Tacoma. The only thing my '94 Toyo 4x4 wouldn't handle is the back end of another car at 55mph.

Last edited:
My acceptance of what a truck is probably higher than yours. It performs decent on relatively flat ground or with no heavy tow but when you get thing on rough terrain pulling weighted trailers, you realize then that a truck with a frame is much more suited. The ground clearance alone makes it feel like half a truck when you really test it out. I always felt like with no tow, it handled similar to the Odyssey or Pilot (all three are the same platform). They just feel like a family oriented vehicle, which it is. I worked at Honda for 5 years and have driven many of them (including my own), some even modified heavily. It's a comfortable (half)truck to drive no doubt, but it lacks what makes a truck, a truck. Anyone who needs a truck to use as a truck to do heavy task is not buying a unibody truck that pulls with the front wheels. They're like a minivan for suburban dad's that don't want to be seen driving a minivan.

What's hilarious is they use to park them up on a hill for marketing purposes. If it rained enough and the road up was used a bit, I had to pull them out of a certain section with my old 80s 4wd S10 lol. Everyone use to get a kick out of that.

I firmly believe whoever brings back a cheap as balls mini truck like a Hardbody, S-10, B2200, Ranger, ect will do extremely well.
Probably not that far off. However, someone in the market for a Ridgeline isn't likely cross shopping it against a 1/2 ton.

Reactions: GVF

My 2002 S-10 was tough as nails. Good design. Vortec. Good trans. Still runs today. The only gripe I had was how many fuels pumps she went through. Horrible on fuel pumps. Didn't win either battle with the deer either. First time I replaced all the front ends parts. 6 months later, caught another one. Screw it I thought. Never had to replace those cheap zip ties holding alot of the grill and headlights in after that. They don't jump out in front of veteran deer slayers. Only unscathed front ends. Last few years it has been a Saturday trash hauler. 362K miles. Still cranked up and ran like a top everyday, except I took out the rear window cleaning up limbs after twister. Installed a hefty hefty rear window at that point. Guy down the road stopped about a month ago and said hey, you wanna sell it? I knew I did because my wife had already told me I would. He has done some work to it just to have a clunker truck back and forth to job sites so he wouldn't have to drive his big boy all the time. He gave me $800. I gave him the keys. I see it go down the road pretty regular. He's got money, but that's what he wanted. and he was tickled to death.

I had a first gen Ranger and liked it pretty well too. But I just thought the S-10 evolved better and tougher towards the end. Especially the drive train.

Off road and all purpose utility, nothing beat my SR5 4x4 or my '89 TLC Wagon. S-10 was #2 behind them.

Reactions: SycloneJoe
The Frontier is one of those decent trucks that doesn't fall into a full "work" truck size, but is good enough for most tasks.

I'm glad Ford is bringing back the Ranger along those lines. So long as they keep it respectable in price.
I’ve had a 2013 Tacoma for the past 4 years and can’t think of a practical reason to own it other than its durable. Gas mileage seems about the same as my 04 Sierra had. I’ve got less interior room than my wife has in her Altima. And I can’t pull anything heavy. So why did I buy it? IDK but got my eyes set on a Cybertruck after we pay off the minivan

VN Store

Back