What does the inside of Josh Heupel's program actually look like?

David Ubben

Hey everyone, I spent a good chunk of last week talking to a bunch of Josh Heupel's former players about how he operates his program.

Earlier this week, we wrote about what it's like off the field.

In early team meetings, he asked his players for their feedback. What was working? What wasn’t working? What needed to stay the same? What needed to change? How could game days improve?

“I thought it said a lot about him that he respected players enough that he wanted to use what worked, not just what was his idea,” said Wyatt Miller, a four-year starter at offensive tackle who moved from the right side of the line to the left side for his senior season. “He gave everybody a voice.”

The team already had traditions like taking a trip to the beach or going bowling for various team outings under Frost. But players wanted their teammates to face punishment if they didn’t show up to those events. Heupel instituted the rule at players’ request.

Today, we wrote a follow-up story on how he installs his offense and builds/operates his program on the field and in the weight room.

“As a punter, I squatted 585 pounds,” Mac Loudermilk said “We were trying to be big and fast, and you had to be strong. We were squatting houses. We were hang cleaning, power cleaning 300 pounds. We were moving some serious weight for a decent number of reps. Was our form always the best? No, but we were strong enough to get away with it.”

Once Heupel instituted his weight program, he dialed back the amount players lifted. He put an emphasis on refining technique to prevent injuries. Every lift was focused on developing explosiveness over simple, pure strength.

“Nobody was squatting six or seven plates at a time during max-out days,” Loudermilk said. “Everything was about keeping bodies and legs fresh, staying healthy and not risking those offseason injuries.”

Hope you all enjoy both pieces if you're interested in checking them out.

“As a punter, I squatted 585 pounds,” Mac Loudermilk said “We were trying to be big and fast, and you had to be strong. We were squatting houses. We were hang cleaning, power cleaning 300 pounds. We were moving some serious weight for a decent number of reps. Was our form always the best? No, but we were strong enough to get away with it.”

Once Heupel instituted his weight program, he dialed back the amount players lifted. He put an emphasis on refining technique to prevent injuries. Every lift was focused on developing explosiveness over simple, pure strength.

“Nobody was squatting six or seven plates at a time during max-out days,” Loudermilk said. “Everything was about keeping bodies and legs fresh, staying healthy and not risking those offseason injuries.”

I'm not so certain this is great news. That works great until you play some of the teams on our schedule that have refined technique AND massive strength. While I don't necessarily prioritize strength over technique, our team has been pushed around on the field for years, even by lower-level teams. We've been dealing with the worst of all worlds - our opponents have been physically stronger, they've had better technique, and they've actually known what their assignments were for every play (who would have ever known that was important?)

I'm not so certain this is great news. That works great until you play some of the teams on our schedule that have refined technique AND massive strength. While I don't necessarily prioritize strength over technique, our team has been pushed around on the field for years, even by lower-level teams. We've been dealing with the worst of all worlds - our opponents have been physically stronger, they've had better technique, and they've actually known what their assignments were for every play (who would have ever known that was important?)

Technique in the weight room doesn’t equal technique on the field.

It is somewhat concerning that he advocates for lower weight. I’ve always heard that high weight low rep leads to explosiveness by strengthening twitch muscles, but I’m also not an expert and that’s just from reading I’ve done in the past.

Hey everyone, I spent a good chunk of last week talking to a bunch of Josh Heupel's former players about how he operates his program.

Earlier this week, we wrote about what it's like off the field.

In early team meetings, he asked his players for their feedback. What was working? What wasn’t working? What needed to stay the same? What needed to change? How could game days improve?

“I thought it said a lot about him that he respected players enough that he wanted to use what worked, not just what was his idea,” said Wyatt Miller, a four-year starter at offensive tackle who moved from the right side of the line to the left side for his senior season. “He gave everybody a voice.”

The team already had traditions like taking a trip to the beach or going bowling for various team outings under Frost. But players wanted their teammates to face punishment if they didn’t show up to those events. Heupel instituted the rule at players’ request.

Today, we wrote a follow-up story on how he installs his offense and builds/operates his program on the field and in the weight room.

Wait, is this THE Davis Ubben of The Athletic?

As long as he does not use the Butch Jones strength training program I sure it will be fine.
Do y'all remember the Botch Jones Urine color chart? Running around practice talking about what color everyone's urine was? SMH

It is somewhat concerning that he advocates for lower weight. I’ve always heard that high weight low rep leads to explosiveness by strengthening twitch muscles, but I’m also not an expert and that’s just from reading I’ve done in the past.

My girl friend, is not a fan of my explosiveness, though she brags about my reps.

I agree with your take.

I am sure Heupel and his staff knows more about weight training than I ever will but I have heard the same on high weight/low reps.

If they are making up for it with more plyometrics then it is probably a good trade off though.

I honestly think that scheme and philosophy hurt more than S&C over the past two years. I don't know if what Heupel plans will work. But I do believe that UT's OL's were big enough and strong enough not to be abused like they were these past two seasons.

There was a time when "pound the rock" really worked. Even if your opponent knew what was coming, OL's could physically dominate front 7's over the course of a game. In this era of CFB, you cannot line up and dominate every opponent. You have to have a scheme that gives your guys the advantage. If you try Fulmer ball... you are behind by 6 TD's by the time you wear out the opponent's D.

I believe when Heupel mentioned putting offensive players in a position to succeed he included OL's. Play calling and scheme can either help or hurt your OL.

Fantastic research. I gotta admit, this is exciting and a lot more adapted to today's players. The days of "do as I say because I said it" are long gone.
It reminds me of the Jocko Willink style leadership... for those who don't know, Jocko is a former U.S. Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander who has written multiple books on leadership and founded one of the world's best leadership consulting firms. He preaches "decentralized command", which basically just means developing decisive leaders below your rank and empower them to be aggressive

It reminds me of the Jocko Willink style leadership... for those who don't know, Jocko is a former U.S. Navy SEAL Lieutenant Commander who has written multiple books on leadership and founded one of the world's best leadership consulting firms. He preaches "decentralized command", which basically just means developing decisive leaders below your rank and empower them to be aggressive
Watched 2 of his podcast interviews on YouTube yesterday. It’s good stuff.

VN Store

Back