What does it take?

Not sure you noticed, but we've got a lot of badasses on this team right now. Just need a few more to sub for them from time to time.

I have been as frustrated as anybody about this team. The fact is we weren’t winning this game- there was a chance but probably not. We have seen improvement. Through 10 games TN has had the lead sometime in each game. They need to go put away these last two teams, get some bowl practice, win a bowl game which would be 8 games in Heupel first year. That includes a win over a ranked KY team on the road and blowout of 2 SEC teams. I know those teams aren’t good, but bad teams don’t beat bad teams badly. They win 12-10. After that bowl game then just need to go out via high schools or transfers and get players!!! Got to find a way to beat one of the big 3 next year or year after.

Yep. I mean there were TN fans saying we would win this game. UGA hasn’t seen a team like us. UGA is overrated. It’s the same thing every year.

Even when we won in 2016, it took a Hail Mary to beat them with a true FR QB and Kirbys rookie season. I mean we don’t have a single person on defense that would be on UGAs second string.
Maybe Theo and Young could certainly get reps imo. Hey the bright side is our OL did some good things. We left points on the field for sure and 2 turn overs didn't help. I was actually surprised at the yardage. Just need to stick the ball in the endzone. We will get there. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I can't wait for NSD etc ... this OP is probably going to be one of those "we need to sign local 2* kids that bleed orange like Dale Jones and Al Wilson". This thread has the same vibes. Pure phantasy.

Maybe Theo and Young could certainly get reps imo. Hey the bright side is our OL did some good things. We left points on the field for sure and 2 turn overs didn't help. I was actually surprised at the yardage. Just need to stick the ball in the endzone. We will get there. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Good post. That was one freaky sick defense. We did pretty well on the stat sheet. But playing straight up without the long field in the red zone revealed our inferiority. Gotta give this team and staff credit. They don't lay down.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
t
did you see this Tennessee team the last few years……last 4?

What “talent” Tennessee had left over (for the most part) was underdeveloped……..that’s one of the major reasons the last two coaches are gone. Some of the “other” talent on this team is new.

A 3 star junior on Bama……would probably rate better now (even many on other teams as well).

A 5 star junior on last year’s Tennessee team……may very well rate lower.

If some of you folks think this roster is loaded with “developed” talent……..then I don’t know what to say.

Kind of hard to develop this shaky roster in less than a year.

but hey everyone should keep complaining while Tennessee goes 7-5…….something Pruitt didn’t do, Butch didn’t do, Doofy didn’t do and even “Kiffin” didn’t do year 1.

Tennessee has a legit chance to win 8 games this season, after all that happened, and after all those players left……….and folks still bitchin and moaning……….wow.
I see you believe a 3 star at ALA is better than 5 star Cade Mays. Has he not won SEC lineman of the week twice this year? But you are entitled to your opinion, like the rest of us. I'm a UT grad and many year season ticket holder. The Vols are my team. But unlike you I have high expectations. UT is still a top 10 football program. It bothers me that UT fans like yourself are euphoric with the prospect of going 7-5 and making a Music City bowl etc. Yet KY may go 9-3, go to a better bowl, and their fan base is pissed! KY fans have higher expectations than many Vol fans like yourself. That is so f**ked up! I will never accept that! Here's hoping the players and coaches don't feel the same way as you. Whether we win or not, I want our team to believe every game is a possible victory. You set low expectations and more times than not you get low results.

41-17 is a respectable score against the No. 1 team in the country and where the program was 11 months ago. Heupel and the team have exceeded my expectations at the beginning of the year. I am encouraged by Heupel and hope he can plug the holes in the roster for UT to get even better.
Exactly…with a healthy Evans plus all of the good players we lost to transfer, we play this game a lot closer. [and that’s in Heupel’s first year]. Georgia currently has the talent and player depth advantage -Not the coaching advantage.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
t

I see you believe a 3 star at ALA is better than 5 star Cade Mays. Has he not won SEC lineman of the week twice this year? But you are entitled to your opinion, like the rest of us. I'm a UT grad and many year season ticket holder. The Vols are my team. But unlike you I have high expectations. UT is still a top 10 football program. It bothers me that UT fans like yourself are euphoric with the prospect of going 7-5 and making a Music City bowl etc. Yet KY may go 9-3, go to a better bowl, and their fan base is pissed! KY fans have higher expectations than many Vol fans like yourself. That is so f**ked up! I will never accept that! Here's hoping the players and coaches don't feel the same way as you. Whether we win or not, I want our team to believe every game is a possible victory. You set low expectations and more times than not you get low results.
I remember when I was 18

t

lol

Well try not to “change” what I say. Also don’t say something yourself and try to imply that “I” said that………maybe learn about fallacies.

I didn’t say anything about Mays……but of course you know that.

I was talking about development…….and again of you know that.

Many of the players Tennessee has had over the past years have not been developed to their potential………again I think you know this.

I NEVER said “all” were not, nor did I mention any specific player.

I merely stated that Bama has done a pretty good job developing talent. Also several teams who don’t have “top” rated signing classes do pretty good………because they can develop the talent they “do” get.

Tennessee has been in a mess……..not solely, but “also” because they have failed to develop talent……..but again you know this…….for some reason you want to “change” up what I stated.

lol your entire post is a fallacy. Please show in my post where I made ANY type of comment about 7-5 being amazing or where I was “euphoric”……or ANYTHING of the sort……please……you can’t because you lie.

I simply stated a “fact” that Tennessee has improved. I stated a “fact” no coach since Fulmer (even Kiffin) went 7-5 (regular season) in their first year and Tennessee May very well do that………again improvement.

Improvement is all I was taking about……..who in the heck (that is a Tennessee fan) doesn’t want them to win more? Heck we all want them to be even better………however this is certainly an improvement over what Tennessee has had year one in a long long time…….and definitely an improvement over last year

but hey you keep throwing out fallacies to improve your……..”cough” “cough”…argument.

Also:
All of this from what…..trying to debunk my “pride” statement? Tennessee certainly “needs” more than pride to beat “this” Georgia team……Georgia certainly has more talent, and Tennessee definitely “needs” more talent. My goodness that easy to understand…….I think you even know this…..but for whatever reason you want to drive it down a different lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodforlife
lol

Well try not to “change” what I say. Also don’t say something yourself and try to imply that “I” said that………maybe learn about fallacies.

I didn’t say anything about Mays……but of course you know that.

I was talking about development…….and again of you know that.

Many of the players Tennessee has had over the past years have not been developed to their potential………again I think you know this.

I NEVER said “all” were not, nor did I mention any specific player.

I merely stated that Bama has done a pretty good job developing talent. Also several teams who don’t have “top” rated signing classes do pretty good………because they can develop the talent they “do” get.

Tennessee has been in a mess……..not solely, but “also” because they have failed to develop talent……..but again you know this…….for some reason you want to “change” up what I stated.

lol your entire post is a fallacy. Please show in my post where I made ANY type of comment about 7-5 being amazing or where I was “euphoric”……or ANYTHING of the sort……please……you can’t because you lie.

I simply stated a “fact” that Tennessee has improved. I stated a “fact” no coach since Fulmer (even Kiffin) went 7-5 (regular season) in their first year and Tennessee May very well do that………again improvement.

Improvement is all I was taking about……..who in the heck (that is a Tennessee fan) doesn’t want them to win more? Heck we all want them to be even better………however this is certainly an improvement over what Tennessee has had year one in a long long time…….and definitely an improvement over last year

but hey you keep throwing out fallacies to improve your……..”cough” “cough”…argument.

Also:
All of this from what…..trying to debunk my “pride” statement? Tennessee certainly “needs” more than pride to beat “this” Georgia team……Georgia certainly has more talent, and Tennessee definitely “needs” more talent. My goodness that easy to understand…….I think you even know this…..but for whatever reason you want to drive it down a different lane.
Well let's try another way since you all over the place. Let's use "your own words".
In regard to Cade Mays and not mentioning any talent.. Here is what you said... "A 5 star junior on last year’s Tennessee team……may very well rate lower." UT only had two 5 stars on last year's team that played today. Cade Mays and Darnell Wright. "Cough" "cough" So there's no one else that you could be referring to that isn't as good as a ALA 3 star.

"Did you see this Tennessee team the last few yrs......last 4?" I believe I mentioned I was a UT grad and season ticket holder. I will let you do the math.

So there are your exact words. No fallacies on my end. I support Coach Heupel and believe he deserves every chance to right this ship. The difference in you and I is very clear. You and many in our fan base think 7-5 is a miracle and I see it as meeting expectations. I will never have lower expectations than a KY football fan. One thing we do agree on is GBO!!!!!!

I think 1. We've seen he can definitely recruit great coaches ding ding....winning. 2. He can get players coached up and willing to run through a brick wall for the T. 3. His scheme offensively works and can score points. Derive the rest for yourselves

Well let's try another way since you all over the place. Let's use "your own words".
In regard to Cade Mays and not mentioning any talent.. Here is what you said... "A 5 star junior on last year’s Tennessee team……may very well rate lower." UT only had two 5 stars on last year's team that played today. Cade Mays and Darnell Wright. "Cough" "cough" So there's no one else that you could be referring to that isn't as good as a ALA 3 star.

"Did you see this Tennessee team the last few yrs......last 4?" I believe I mentioned I was a UT grad and season ticket holder. I will let you do the math.

So there are your exact words. No fallacies on my end. I support Coach Heupel and believe he deserves every chance to right this ship. The difference in you and I is very clear. You and many in our fan base think 7-5 is a miracle and I see it as meeting expectations. I will never have lower expectations than a KY football fan. One thing we do agree on is GBO!!!!!!

I mentioned no one because it was about no one….it was simply about Tennessee’s lack of development. Again your still doing it……I also didn’t mention anything about “playing today”………now did I? It was simply about “some” players not being developed.

You also totally skipped the part about me being “euphoric” in my post about 7-5……..again you MADE that up……again…..fallacy.

“Not as good as an Alabama 3 star”…….again FALLACY…….again I didn’t say anything of the sort……I said a 3 star would probably rate better………if their still at Bama they very well might be “better” now than their old 3 star rating.

On the flip side: many Tennessee players over the past years have probably not lived up to their “star” ratings…….simply from bad coaching and sup par development………..nothing whatsoever about an Alabama 3 star being better than a Tennessee 5 star……..simply about “different” development.

Again you keep at it……your a season ticket holder…….your special.

Also what part of my original post was “wrong?” Seriously? I’m sure you feel Tennessee needs more than Pride…..right. Surely you think Tennessee could “use” some more talent……right. I bet (although I could be wrong) you do believe that over the years “some” of Tennessee’s talent was wasted and not developed fully…..right…….so what the heck?

Last edited:
The only way we are getting back is if Heupel finds guys that his competitors overlook and develops them to be better than the 5-star guys at UGA/Bama. The days of expecting to have a chance at 5-star guys are over. We are closer to having to embrace the Kentucky model than we are the Georgia model. There’s enough talent out there to do it.

Talent that Tennesse doesn't have. That's the whatever Heupel's salary is question.. Will he ever have it? He certainly doesn't now. It's not realistic right now that UT will have that type of talent anytime soon. Getting run off the field by the big 3 is getting old and wearing on people at this point. It's not Josh Heupel's fault though. At least not yet..

Thats the big question at this point.

Heupel can generate points on offense without question and I dont think Banks is as bad as some of these point totals are showing on defense.

NSD is looming larger every day and recruiting is stuck in neutral from the looks of it.

What does it take to realize what the badass ones before you did? What does it take to play for that T on your helmet? Absolutely embarrassing.
More talented players at ever position to have depth to give the players some rest. Our offense should not be tired even with running the HURRY up offense. No defense can play 90 player a game with out quality players capable of of giving the starters some quality relief. When the defense can got off the field, the offense can score a lot more points and we win a lot more games. However, the offense can not hold, jump before the snap, and miss blocks the way we did last night. I understood some of the mistakes early in the year, but we have now played 10 games and most of those mistakes should be history. I have been impressed with our WRs and believe they have progressed more than any other position on the team.

Pride? Finish out with 2 wins and win a bowl game would be a solid start to get us back on track. Then it requires recruiting lots of 4 star guys and a few 5 each year, plus coaching up those guys. I’m excited to see the progress this year, but not ready to celebrate until we finish the job.

What does it take to realize what the badass ones before you did? What does it take to play for that T on your helmet? Absolutely embarrassing.
Why are you so embarrassed? You actually thought we could match up with Georgia's talent? give me a break. It takes time to build a team like that and you think we should be able to do it in one season?

It will take Josh 2-3 years to recruit the talent to compete in games like this. Right now, there is no hope.

VN Store

Back