What does it take for us to beat FL this time around?

HoopCreekVol

Besides the obvious of getting more points than FL, what do we need to see to know it is going our way? Do we really have the people to not only give FL a great game, but come out a winner?

What part of our game has to be superb to defeat the Gators? Special teams? Quarterback play? Defensive schemes?

Granted, we are not playing Bama where a near-perfect to perfect effort HAS to happen.

Reactions: jhcrane14
Don't let him scramble for every single 3rd down conversion. He may get a couple, but when he does he better get down on the ground before he gets hit for real because UT's defense aint playing with opposing QBs this year. Just ask Pitt's QBs.
They busted that zip QB as well

Besides the obvious of getting more points than FL, what do we need to see to know it is going our way? Do we really have the people to not only give FL a great game, but come out a winner?

What part of our game has to be superb to defeat the Gators? Special teams? Quarterback play? Defensive schemes?

Granted, we are not playing Bama where a near-perfect to perfect effort HAS to happen.

My main concern is containing Richardsons ability to run or check down. Keep everything in front. CBs will have to play disciplined football and not bail out the UF offense with penalties. Richardson is mistake prone so we have to capitalize on his mistakes and make UF pay for turning the ball over.

Reactions: HoopCreekVol
-dont give Florida's offense good field position.
-limit explosive runs from Richardson.

Mobile quarterbacks were our kryptonite last year. Richardson has not played well this year and he our defense/fans have the potential to overwhelm him. If we make it easy for him and allow him to make big plays with his legs to get comfortable, it will be a toss up of how the game goes. Pitt started with the ball on our side of the field 3 times. We CANNOT do that again this year.

Last edited:
Keep good contain on defense, block well, hold on to the ball.

That is all it will take. They can’t hang with us if we play sound football. Add in the crowd? Fugghedabowdit.

Edit: In sum, carry the fight to Florida and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
Get off the field on 3rd down. We couldn't do that in the games we lost last year and couldn't in the games we won on several occasions.

Do not play like we normally do vs Florida. Which means we make a crippling mistake or two in at least two phases of the game. Don't give up kicking game touchdowns, don't turn it over on special teams.

Make the throws when they are open. We will get open looks like we do against everyone, we just have to give Hooker time to make an accurate throw.

Don't miss opportunities to score. We can't afford to miss field goals or not score when we get inside the 30. We have a history of leaving points on the field against Florida.

If we get up, pour on more steam. If the breaks go against us, keep trying and fighting. Look at the Pitt start, it was horrible.

Reactions: sjt18
Preferably win the turnover battle, but that's every game. -1 on turnovers at worst. I can't see Florida keeping up with us if turnovers are even or if they win turnover battle by one. Put ourselves -2 turnovers and I can see FL hanging around in a game they've got no business competing in.

For containing AR15, I imagine we'll play a lot of zone read with a spy. If he surprises everyone and starts going through his reads, making throws down the field with accuracy, I imagine we'll go to man but keep a spy.
I think the key will be rotating the spy assignments between Banks, Mitchell, & Beasley. Unless AR15 is actually hobbled like some suggest, he's a good enough athlete to beat the spy if he knows who it is on the pre snap read every play.

WGWTFA!!!!

WGWTFA don’t worry.

Shutting off all the distractions (ESPN), hype, and being ready to play a full 4 quarters of football. Being able to overcome mistakes and taking advantage off of turnovers.

And don't give up if Florida takes the lead late in the game with time still on the clock.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back