What does everyone NOT like about Hendon Hooker?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I understand the Milton frustrations, though I do think if he can get the deep ball under control he will be dangerous.

But everyone keeps calling for Bailey. Why so much Bailey love and not Hooker? I feel like Hooker proved his merit quite well against Pitt. He does a LOT of the same things Dobbs did with his feet, and he may have a better arm.

He made some beautiful touch throws, had some impressive runs, and I felt like when he was on the field we were always going to move the chains, and that’s something I haven’t felt in a long time with our QB position.

I understand the Milton frustrations, though I do think if he can get the deep ball under control he will be dangerous.

But everyone keeps calling for Bailey. Why so much Bailey love and not Hooker? I feel like Hooker proved his merit quite well against Pitt. He does a LOT of the same things Dobbs did with his feet, and he may have a better arm.

He made some beautiful touch throws, had some impressive runs, and I felt like when he was on the field we were always going to move the chains, and that’s something I haven’t felt in a long time with our QB position.

Loved me some Hendon Hooker in the Pitt game. I am on record saying he should start this weekend. He played great in stretches and seemed to direct the offense once he settled in a little. He was very nervous the first series. Didn't seem to know what to do on the first
Utah pass, but considering he hasn't taken any first team snaps in the last two weeks he did a lot of things well. Bailey is likely also a good quarterback and Milton is a physical freak - just not sure he will ever master the position of qb.

Hooker and Bailey are probably fairly comparable - Hooker a little more mobile and has played a lot more, Bailey is taller in the pocket and very accurate. All this is of course just my opinion, but I did like what I saw in Hooker.

From what I saw my biggest complaint so far is he needs to be willing to take shots and give the WR a chance to make the play in 1-on-1. and not force balls into coverage. Other than that he played alright.

There was much anticipation during Bailey's recruitment. The anticipation turned into a great deal of excitement when we landed him. Vol fans were and are emotionally attached to HB. No knock on Milton or Hooker, but they transferred in, no hype. This is the fourth year for some us waiting to see what HB can do. So is why there is vociferous support for HB and relatively none for others.

Hooker seems like a fast elusive runner, but we need a QB who makes good decisions and reliably delivers the ball with accuracy. That is job #1 in Heupels full-throttle offensive schemes. Heupel is scheming receivers wide-open and RUNNING, where good timing and touch are critical to connecting for big gains / touchdowns IF the QB delivers.
While a dual threat QB with Hookers elusiveness would be nice, a sharpshooter who can hit receivers at speed is ESSENTIAL to make this system go big.

Im still all in on Heupel but already its clear that after we were practically promised a passing game of 3- 4,000 yards Bailey is the only one who can remotely achieve that.

Secondly we were told that it was an open competition, well by all accounts Bailey was way best in Spring camp and we all had that confirmed in the O&W game where he even showed he was accurate with the long ball which was one of the knocking points about him. Yet if he doesn't see the pitch this week he may not ever because if I was him there is no point staying especially with Jackson (another mobile quarterback with a big arm) coming.

Let's take a different look at it. These two new girls move into town, one is a ten but lousy in the sack. The other one is ok looking but everything she does is bland. Then there is your ex who is drop dead beautiful, does everything great except she walks funny. Alot of guys want her and the ones that don't are gay.

Ball Security.
Pocket Presence.
Decision Making is Delayed.

He doesn’t attack, he reacts.

Our offense doesn’t stretch the field with him in the game, inviting pressure that amplifies the above.

He escapes. But I’d rather see what Bailey has.
But didn’t we drive down the field more efficiently when he entered the game than what Milton did. Hooker is our leading passer right through two games as a 2nd stringer.

I didn't like that he seemed unprepared on his first series, and temporarily confused on a later series. Almost as if he had not been preparing well.

I didn't like the interception, he practically threw it right to the DB. Didn't like the decision on the 4th and short to hand it off.

I did like his pocket presence, seemed cool under pressure for the most part. Thought his passing was adequate to good. Loved his running ability. At this point in the season I think he gives us the best chance to win.

Let's take a different look at it. These two new girls move into town, one is a ten but lousy in the sack. The other one is ok looking but everything she does is bland. Then there is your ex who is drop dead beautiful, does everything great except she walks funny. Alot of guys want her and the ones that don't are gay.

:)

He looked terrible in spring. He looked bad in the early series and had 2 bad turnovers.

The dude is a senior. Obviously he is what he is - which is "not the answer".

If the RBs come back and Hyatt performs, can they make some noise? Sure. Just don't expect him to be anything but MAYBE Dobbs Lite (which obviously is better than what we've had)

Reactions: goldvol and Hbg
There was much anticipation during Bailey's recruitment. The anticipation turned into a great deal of excitement when we landed him. Vol fans were and are emotionally attached to HB. No knock on Milton or Hooker, but they transferred in, no hype. This is the fourth year for some us waiting to see what HB can do. So is why there is vociferous support for HB and relatively none for others.

Very well said.

Only read the title but the only thing I don't like is he stares down his WR. He did it in the O&W game for a pick 6 and vs PITT in crunch time.

We would have a lot of turnovers with him. Jmo
Hendon Hooker could have busted so many big runs on the defense on the O&W game…even on the pick 6 he had a huge gap he could’ve been gone up the field. It was like he was told to NOT run with it…to stay in the pocket to work on passing. Staring down a WR if you can take off running manipulates the defense in one direction as well.

1631788882396.gif

For me there are a few things. The offense runs at a slower tempo. He seems more prone to poor decision making resulting in turnovers. And the third thing is that I have yet to see him throw a ball more than about 15 or 20 yards. Can all of those things be corrected? Perhaps. I know a lot of people say that if Milton hasn't corrected his mistakes by now, he never will. The same argument could be said for Hooker. And Hooker had the opportunity to go through spring ball as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
Those that says he is not an accurate paaser, his passing completion percentage and rate of interceptions at Virginia is almost identical to Manning's record here.

Reactions: Carp
He is clearly not an All-American type player who can mask our other deficiencies and lead us back to the promised land, or at least 8-4 or something. Right now we are still clinging to the hope that Milton or Bailey could become such a player.

I'm fine with either Hooker or Bailey. I do think Bailey is the best QB on the roster, but also think with our O-line depth issues, Hooker might be a better option at the moment. But both look miles ahead of Milton to me.

Bailey is the best QB on the roster, but two coaching staffs...including two QB coaches that were Heisman finalists and national champions feel differently?

I honestly don't get the Bailey love. He looks weak and timid. Milton probably has the highest ceiling and still has 3 years, but some of his issues seem uncoachable.

Hooker is fine, I just don't think he's something we can build on. We aren't winning anything important this year. I think they're balancing wins this year with potential success down the road, and Hooker will run out of eligibility before anything decent can be accomplished. Similarly, Bailey will never be athletic and the game has changed - even in the NFL - you can't be as lathargic as he is anymore.

VN Store

Back