What does everyone NOT like about Hendon Hooker?

I understand the Milton frustrations, though I do think if he can get the deep ball under control he will be dangerous.

But everyone keeps calling for Bailey. Why so much Bailey love and not Hooker? I feel like Hooker proved his merit quite well against Pitt. He does a LOT of the same things Dobbs did with his feet, and he may have a better arm.

He made some beautiful touch throws, had some impressive runs, and I felt like when he was on the field we were always going to move the chains, and that’s something I haven’t felt in a long time with our QB position.

Gave a like BUT - - What is the old saying ?? Ifs and buts - -

Only read the title but the only thing I don't like is he stares down his WR. He did it in the O&W game for a pick 6 and vs PITT in crunch time.

We would have a lot of turnovers with him. Jmo

I think staring down a receiver would be easier to fix than correcting a thrower's ability to pass correctly.

I get real nervous about his ball security. The hesitation in the pocket is a concern but I think that improves with more in game reps. Maybe not though, haven't looked at anything from his time at VaTech.

I understand the Milton frustrations, though I do think if he can get the deep ball under control he will be dangerous.

But everyone keeps calling for Bailey. Why so much Bailey love and not Hooker? I feel like Hooker proved his merit quite well against Pitt. He does a LOT of the same things Dobbs did with his feet, and he may have a better arm.

He made some beautiful touch throws, had some impressive runs, and I felt like when he was on the field we were always going to move the chains, and that’s something I haven’t felt in a long time with our QB position.
There's a possibility that I'd rather not broach and don't want to think that Vol fans would have as a reason to pull for Bailey.... And people fell in love with the idea of a "5* QB" on the roster and think he MUST be that good without realizing that he wasn't a consensus 5* and the other guys were 4*.

For Hooker, he just isn't flashy. Historically he's been a good decision maker who usually takes care of the ball. He is more likely to make a big play with his legs than arm but doesn't hurt you throwing it either. On pure arm strength, he and Bailey are similar. Bailey probably has a little bit quicker release. Bailey may very well have more innate ability to "see the field" than Hooker but Hooker isn't bad there either. IMO he's the kind of guy who gives you enough that a team can win around him. You probably won't hear an announcer talk about him picking a good secondary apart... you might hear that about Bailey. You aren't going to hear anyone catch their breath when he unleashes an effortless 60 yard bullet... but he can give you some good throws deep when needed. One one side you have the Bailey fans in love with what little they've seen and his HS ranking. On the other side you have a physical freak. In the middle living in the shadow of both... you have Hooker the "steady", experienced, quiet hand.

Lower overall upside than Milton. Milton has more time to play, a massive frame, a rocket launcher for an arm, and accuracy is correctable.
Then why hasnt it been corrected?
High school
Michigan
Tennessee

Not sure that it's a correctable problem at this point

Reactions: VolRage
Bailey is the best QB on the roster, but two coaching staffs...including two QB coaches that were Heisman finalists and national champions feel differently?

I honestly don't get the Bailey love. He looks weak and timid. Milton probably has the highest ceiling and still has 3 years, but some of his issues seem uncoachable.

Hooker is fine, I just don't think he's something we can build on. We aren't winning anything important this year. I think they're balancing wins this year with potential success down the road, and Hooker will run out of eligibility before anything decent can be accomplished. Similarly, Bailey will never be athletic and the game has changed - even in the NFL - you can't be as lathargic as he is anymore.
They've been saying that about a "running qb" (especially in nfl) since Randall Cunningham

I guess maybe eventually it will be true

I must admit I am a Bailey first guy. Was pulling for Hooker secondly and then Milton. No certain reason for the last 2 except maybe Michigan next to Milton’s resume.
After seeing the 2 games and 2 player options and differences, reading and watching about Heupel’s offenses, I may understand why Milton is starting, Hooker is 2nd, and maybe why Bailey is currently 3rd. I don’t think it necessarily is about mobility. It is more about speed of the offense whether running or passing. It is obvious so far that Milton can get the offense ready to go much quicker than Hooker. Maybe that is the issue holding Bailey back. Not accuracy or mobility or arm strength. It is obvious in games how much quicker Milton is than Hooker. Maybe in practice it is obvious Bailey is even slower, and more important, maybe Bailey realizes it. Bailey is very accurate, moves in the pocket, and reads his progressions, all the things spectators notice. However speed is this offense’s main attack. Milton can do that. Bailey can learn that. Don’t give up on him. He has every other tool Heupel wants.

Reactions: Vol Main
They’d probably be more open to that except for the fact that our fans are demanding wins now. Thus they have to play who the best option is right now, even if it’s someone with no eligibility left after this year.
Don't have the horses for many wins this season, have the fans forgotten how bad Beldar set the program back ?

Then why hasnt it been corrected?
High school
Michigan
Tennessee

Not sure that it's a correctable problem at this point

If it is correctable, it's not going to happen during the season. I could see the argument if Heupel had gotten Milton in here during the spring and had months to work with him prior, but he didn't, and he's not going to correct a multi-year problem with Milton's passing game during 20 hours/week of team activities when he also has to prepare him and the rest of the team for a game each Saturday.

I think a majority of fans just want to get a look at Bailey in real action. He may not be that physically gifted compared to the other two, but it is yet to be seen if he has that "it" factor that winners have at the QB position. When he played last year, the games were already out of hand or had no relative importance, plus he had Wienke as his QB coach. I know I want to see if he can move the chains.

Hooker is serviceable, definitely a better option than Milton IMO, but he appears to have limitations. He seems unsure, stares down his target, and if the first read isn't open he panics. The turnovers are definitely an issue. Honestly, both Hooker and Milton are playing exactly like they did at their previous schools and I can see why they weren't successful. They have made no significant improvements since transferring - only been two games though.

From listening to CJH this week, I think Milton will be riding the pine if he doesn't start hitting those deep balls much more frequently.
You could tell that coach was frustrated. We had guys so open. More so than I've seen in one game in a long time.
Besides that, Milton doesn't look that fast when running, but he is big and strong which helps. I think Hooker has more speed.
Hard to believe that we have been so many years without a serviceable QB.
I'm tired of poor QB play and the opponent having a better QB in nearly every game. We should have won many more games over the last few years.

There's a possibility that I'd rather not broach and don't want to think that Vol fans would have as a reason to pull for Bailey.... And people fell in love with the idea of a "5* QB" on the roster and think he MUST be that good without realizing that he wasn't a consensus 5* and the other guys were 4*.

For Hooker, he just isn't flashy. Historically he's been a good decision maker who usually takes care of the ball. He is more likely to make a big play with his legs than arm but doesn't hurt you throwing it either. On pure arm strength, he and Bailey are similar. Bailey probably has a little bit quicker release. Bailey may very well have more innate ability to "see the field" than Hooker but Hooker isn't bad there either. IMO he's the kind of guy who gives you enough that a team can win around him. You probably won't hear an announcer talk about him picking a good secondary apart... you might hear that about Bailey. You aren't going to hear anyone catch their breath when he unleashes an effortless 60 yard bullet... but he can give you some good throws deep when needed. One one side you have the Bailey fans in love with what little they've seen and his HS ranking. On the other side you have a physical freak. In the middle living in the shadow of both... you have Hooker the "steady", experienced, quiet hand.

Yeah you shouldn’t broach that because that would be woefully inaccurate. Josh Dobbs is probably the most beloved Vol in the last decade.

Everyone just wants the guy that gives us W’s, nothing more.

Yeah you shouldn’t broach that because that would be woefully inaccurate. Josh Dobbs is probably the most beloved Vol in the last decade.
And Dobbs wasn't competing with someone with the following of Bailey. You can speak for yourself... not others. And if you don't think there's anyone here pulling for Bailey because he's white... I can't help you. And you don't have to look too hard regarding my political posts to know that I don't buy much of the excuse making and BLM non-sense.

Everyone just wants the guy that gives us W’s, nothing more.
I don't doubt that's true. I'm old enough to remember the years just after black QB's broke the race barrier in college football. The desire to win may suppress prejudices some times. Even then, most OL's continued to be white for about another decade because of the notion that black players weren't smart enough.

The fact that these same people want to win doesn't mean that things not related to who actually has the skill and talent do not play into who some people think the "guy" should be.... that it doesn't influence who they're rooting for.

TURNOVERS! Who was the only QB to have a turnover in the Spring game? Now, 4 quarters played and 3 turnovers. Yet Bailey remains on the pine. It is obvious that the coaches erronoeus trust in Joe Milton as the starter was misplaced. Now fans are expected to trust the coaches and not our eyes: the confidence in Hooker is low. If Bailey is tried and screws up then Volnation will shut up on the QB question. Then we know the problem is coaching and talent and cant be fixed.

There was much anticipation during Bailey's recruitment. The anticipation turned into a great deal of excitement when we landed him. Vol fans were and are emotionally attached to HB. No knock on Milton or Hooker, but they transferred in, no hype. This is the fourth year for some us waiting to see what HB can do. So is why there is vociferous support for HB and relatively none for others.
4th year?

TURNOVERS! Who was the only QB to have a turnover in the Spring game? Now, 4 quarters played and 3 turnovers. Yet Bailey remains on the pine. It is obvious that the coaches erronoeus trust in Joe Milton as the starter was misplaced. Now fans are expected to trust the coaches and not our eyes: the confidence in Hooker is low. If Bailey is tried and screws up then Volnation will shut up on the QB question. Then we know the problem is coaching and talent and cant be fixed.

Every QB is going to turn it over at some point. The question, is which QB puts forth the most offensive production, so that the turnovers, when they happen, have the least effect on the outcome of the game?

He avg 140 yards per game passing at VT
He has proven where he is
The other QB need a shot

The only games that he threw for less than 200 yards in 2019 or 2020, were games where he had limited passing attempts, 20 or less.

Hooker looked pretty good outside of a couple of series. This team can win with his abilities. Milton just has a bigger upside/higjer ceiling.

The Bailey infatuation amazes me to no end. I loke the kid and hope whwn he gets a chance he balls out and wins the job. However pretending the coaches have some ulterior motive for not playing him is ridiculous.

VN Store

Back