What did you have for dinner II?

Guaranteed delivery for 730 tonight? Just stuck a homemade lasagna in the oven to be ready by start Of the game and My buddy just texted he shot a deer with his bow on the back of my place so I guess I’m gonna have cold lasagna and tape delay game for dinner lol. First deer he’s ever shot with a bow ( he’s only shot 2 with a gun) so he’s excited and so am I for him! I guess I’ll be cleaning deer at 730.😥

Ate that close to every day in the school cafeteria in Japan. It's my ultimate comfort food.
You talking about it when I made Tomkatsu was what got me looking at making it. It's now a regular thing at the HateSteve household. So, thanks for that.

Last edited:
I’m going to try this!

Couple of questions:
- do you make your own roux, and if not, what do you use for the curry base?
- is the Katsura baked or deep-fried?

one more:
- is that corn I see in the curry? I thought Japanese curry was potato, onion, and carrot.
It's curry block. We looked for a homemade option, but most of the Asian cooking blogs we frequent said most households in Japan just use block. Which one is best is apparently a subject of hot debate. We used this one, because it's what the local Ingles carries, and it's quite good.
large_911d964c-b5c1-4cfe-a049-af91e954f414.png
The Katsu is fried. I put a couple inches of oil in a wok, so that they barley float. We've done it baked before, but it's hard to get it crispy in the middle.

No corn, I diced the taters too small this time. They broke up a bit when I stirred the block in. Still yummy, but I'll make sure to keep them to a half inch dice next time.

Reactions: VolNExile
It's curry block. We looked for a homemade option, but most of the Asian cooking blogs we frequent said most households in Japan just use block. Which one is best is apparently a subject of hot debate. We used this one, because it's what the local Ingles carries, and it's quite good.
View attachment 310056
The Katsu is fried. I put a couple inches of oil in a wok, so that they barley float. We've done it baked before, but it's hard to get it crispy in the middle.

No corn, I diced the taters too small this time. They broke up a bit when I stirred the block in. Still yummy, but I'll make sure to keep them to a half inch dice next time.
I found the curry block at Ingles. In the Indian section, of course. :p I got the medium heat, as I Am A Weenie. #NoApologies I also bought an apple to shred into the curry.

Thank you for the recommendation!

I found the curry block at Ingles. In the Indian section, of course. :p I got the medium heat, as I Am A Weenie. #NoApologies I also bought an apple to shred into the curry.

Thank you for the recommendation!
I would have bought mild (I know, wus). One can always add hot pepper. One cannot take it out. 🤪

Reactions: VolNExile
I would have bought mild (I know, wus). One can always add hot pepper. One cannot take it out. 🤪
I agree. I’d have bought mild if they’d had it.

My hope is that, even if Ingles filed it in the Indian food section, it meshes with Japanese (not Indian) curry. The box has Japanese lettering on it. Japanese curry is a lot calmer than Indian or Thai.

Or so I’ve read! 🤪

Real tacos - carne asada, carnitas, pork belly with cilantro & onions on corn tortillas, served with a habanero salsa and a side of pinto beans
I got take out from a local place run by naturalized citizens originally from the Yucatán. Mostly, they serve black beans, so I had to try the charros.

VN Store

Back