What did you have for dinner II?

Well I ruined it... I was on pace for Everything from our farm again but I can’t figure out how to grow jasmine rice yet in central NC but I decided to channel my inner @Tin Man with some southeast Asian lilt. Inspiration for this is from my friend Vivian Howard who does some crazy stuff in her restaurant. Made pork blade steaks with Thai red curry paste and Roasted watermelon, garlic sage butter roasted baby carrots, baby mixed green salad.

For those of you who haven’t cooked with watermelon it is the most amazing transformation of most any ingredient I’ve ever cooked with. The consistency and taste after braising with the red wine or rice wine vinegar Sauce and the pork is like a sweet and sour fire roasted tomato. I love water melon raw, in fruit salad or with mint in salad, or even as a gazpacho but it’s awesome cooked or grilled. 10A781E4-E757-4A51-9B40-29CF70D8200A.jpeg4819D112-3825-462B-B399-E5F3D573294B.jpeg

pizza from Agatuccis
aggatuci-s-11-pizza-with.jpg

Another home grown meal tonight... Fried up some Brown sugar hickory smoked bacon I cured from our pig we got from our friend, baby romaine hearts and Cherokee Purple tomatoes from the garden all sliced and layered on some sourdough bread my wife made yesterday. The little people call them BLT sammiches, we call them the royal eats :p. Had a side of the last of our cantaloupes.
Wait until you see what I got in mind for tomorrow if we get all the cows and calves taken care of by early afternoon. Got a full day of tagging and checking our herd and might be too tired for making dinner but we'll see.

You had me at Cherokee Purple Tomato. I would have only needed mayo and two slices of bread. dinner fixed.

I have never heard of fried cabbage. I bet i would love it. Well done my friend.

Fried cabbage is the bomb of the veggie world. Got that from my mom. Fry up a few pieces of bacon. Save back just enough dripping to pan fry the thinly sliced cabbage. Don't want greasy. Salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon back in. I like adding a dose of sweet corn. One of my favorite sides. and if I'm alone, I'll add smoked sausage and just make it an easy meal for one.

Any of the heirloom varieties but Cherokee is one of my favorites for sure. Probably closing ours out next week or so.

I'm pulling everything but one CP and one pink brandywine. Hope to get a few more to ripen this month.

My tomatoes were slack this year. Got garden in 3 weeks late waiting to get new area turned over tilled because of rain. They tried to come in at the peak of the "heat wave". Then those fat green worms showed up overnight last week just when they were rebounding and setting alot of fruit. Stripped the. My step son works for a commercial seed company, and he brought me about 120 pounds of vine ripe tomatoes from one of his growers up in Johnson City. He saved my tomato sandwiches, but I didn't have heirlooms to do a tomato pie.

But, I had squash and watermelon out the yazoo.

VN Store

Back