What could K. Briles do with our receiving corps

Not gona win an sec conference championship game in todays football scoring 24 points.
Defense still wins championships too. What Bama and Clemson and the Georgias have that is most important is good defenses and good O-Lines. Just being able to pass doesn't mean crap if you don't have a good defense when it comes to titles. No matter what it is a LOS league. GBO!

You seem to think a team has to line up in the Power-I in order to impose their will in the run game.

Our offensive philosophy is similar to UGA and Alabama’s and it will continue to be because that’s what wins championships. Oklahoma is where they are because their QB is a freak. Without him they’re 8-4.

Uhh Bama has gone spread and RPO-heavy. UGA is RPO-heavy too. Both are shotgun heavy. Both pass quite a bit. Neither is smashmouth 1950's style and both have evolved from even 90s style.

What WR on our team would you say has really good speed? I have watched Houston and FAU play. Their WRs look much faster. Not saying they are overall better but they look faster. Also, lets not forget how badly our WRs drop passes. While they do make some tough catches, they drop a lot of passes. The TEs do to.

No idea how they match up. It'd be like seeing the same receiver play in Sweetwater vs Atlanta. Lots of kids will look fast in lower g5 competition.

I disagree we dropped a lot of balls this year. Thought Coach Johnson did a great job with our receivers this year. Our lack of any run threat severely hampered them though. Palmer turned the corner, Murphy looked better, and Callaway was a ball catching machine. JJ caught tough ball after tough ball.

Defense still wins championships too. What Bama and Clemson and the Georgias have that is most important is good defenses and good O-Lines. Just being able to pass doesn't mean crap if you don't have a good defense when it comes to titles. No matter what it is a LOS league. GBO!

As all agree - the goal is to maximize points scored and minimize points allowed. Defense is a separate issue and all would agree it's good to have. The question up for debate is optimal offensive style. Running modern offenses allows these playoff teams greater scoring margins and thus lower opportunities to lose close games. No run-heavy smashmouth teams are going to the playoffs these days.

Uhh Bama has gone spread and RPO-heavy. UGA is RPO-heavy too. Both are shotgun heavy. Both pass quite a bit. Neither is smashmouth 1950's style and both have evolved from even 90s style.
Nobody but you has even mentioned 1950s or 90s style offense, just that great defense and establishing the run is how championships are won. It’s done differently now than it used to be but the best teams are still effective on the ground and impose their will late in the game.

Like I said, Tennessee’s offensive philosophy is similar to Alabama and Georgia. Maybe you missed it, but we ran a lot of spread and RPO this year while leaning on the run game. I haven’t looked myself so this may be totally wrong but I think I read that UGA ran the ball like 64% of the time. We played from behind a lot so ours is probably closer to 50/50

Last edited by a moderator:
I've convinced myself that Pruitt is completely a defensive guy. I mean that in a sense of, okay, he really doesn't care at all what kind of offense we run, so long as we consistently score at least one more point than the other guys, and can consistently take at least 35 minutes a game doing it.

A good offense is keeping the other offense off the field just as much as it's putting up points. If you can do that calling 50 runs and 25 passes, great. If you can do that airing it out all over the place, great. One way or another, if you're not winning time of possession, you're giving the other offense that many more opportunities to see whether our defense will make a mistake or get tired - and a team that's struggling to rebuild depth really needs that cushion of not having to play an extra couple dozen snaps on defense.

I mean maybe modern football is geared toward shootouts, and ball control is a thing of the past. But for me, and I know this is an NFL reference but whatever... the perfect game is one of those brutal wars of attrition like Pittsburgh would play against old Cleveland teams pre-Baltimore, when someone would win 13-10 and it'd take everyone weeks to recover. I'd like the opponents' opportunities to be few and far between, not play a game where they're getting the ball back in a minute and a half regardless of whether we went three and out or scored a TD.

Don't want. No more of that hurry up, two-hand touch, sissy flag football. If you want the scoreboard to ring up like a pin ball machine then go to an arcade. That's not football. More like a game invented by a Northern left wing liberal trying to change a game to make it 'more interesting' to them. Best baseball game score is a 1-0 pitchers dual. Best hockey game 1-0 or 2-1. Football 24-21, certainly not 48 to 42.
And you probably shoot free throws from between your legs.

Not sure what WR corps you have been watching. I see one player who is tough enough to go across the middle and make the tough catches in traffic. I see another one who can go up and catch 50-50 balls. I don't see enough speed to stretch a defense and after #15 and #1, I don't see any WRs who are consistent at catching the ball. Plus, none of UT's receivers can get separation against good teams.

The WR corps as a whole were way overrated this past year.

Palmer and Murphy are legit imo. They're just not consistent but we aren't really consistent getting them the ball tbh.

Reactions: TrueVolsGBOInsider

VN Store

Back