What could K. Briles do with our receiving corps

Not sure what WR corps you have been watching. I see one player who is tough enough to go across the middle and make the tough catches in traffic. I see another one who can go up and catch 50-50 balls. I don't see enough speed to stretch a defense and after #15 and #1, I don't see any WRs who are consistent at catching the ball. Plus, none of UT's receivers can get separation against good teams.

The WR corps as a whole were way overrated this past year.

Not sure what WR corps you have been watching. I see one player who is tough enough to go across the middle and make the tough catches in traffic. I see another one who can go up and catch 50-50 balls. I don't see enough speed to stretch a defense and after #15 and #1, I don't see any WRs who are consistent at catching the ball. Plus, none of UT's receivers can get separation against good teams.

The WR corps as a whole were way overrated this past year.

As I've watched games to get an idea about OC candidates--OkStU, Houston, NCSt, etc--that's been one thing that's stood out. It's crazy to see the outstanding WR play by those big play offenses, compared to ours.

But the positions he was bringing with him were needing an upgrade and Jones was ok with it. If Pruitt wants to retain his OL coach, there is nothing wrong with that and he shouldnt back off that decision because a prospective coordinator wont come unless he does. No other head coach would do that unless they have already had thoughts of upgrading those position coaches.

When you interviewing someone for a big opening and they tell you what they need to succeed, you have to put some thought into it... After all, it is a negotiation and it isn't like UT is the only school Briles is getting chased by.....

Also, it isn't like Friend did even an okay job this year with the Oline.....

But hey, lets let another big program hire the guy while we still sit around twiddling our thumbs.

When you interviewing someone for a big opening and they tell you what they need to succeed, you have to put some thought into it... After all, it is a negotiation and it isn't like UT is the only school Briles is getting chased by.....

Also, it isn't like Friend did even an okay job this year with the Oline.....

But hey, lets let another big program hire the guy while we still sit around twiddling our thumbs.
If you are the head coach and you see what you need to succeed differently from what a prospective employee tries to tell you, then you go with what you feel. Another program hiring him has absolutely nothing to do with Pruitt's faith in Friend. If Pruitt feels that way, then I 100% support him standing up for what he wants......even though I would have really liked to have Briles here.

And who the **** could do "an okay job" with this line this year......are you oblivious to the personnel we have on on the line and the personnel that played a majority of the snaps this year?

Reactions: Behr and malibuvol
Don't know who we will be getting at OC but as far as Briles and this last season...and the finally stats on our OL...I really doubt that any OC could have made much of a difference this past season. I'm not sure how any knowledgeable fan could take the "sabermetrics" of this past season from the OL and not conclude the OC was NOT totally responsible for the ineptness we experienced on offense (I know he's ultimately responsible of course). Things certainly can change in 2019 and the new OC could benefit from that but I'm concerned that less understanding minds could go silly on the new OC IF the issues we experienced at OL are repeated in 2019. Not saying this is the case AT ALL as far as the new OC goes but looking at the personnel we currently have available there I don't think I would want to risk my reputation as a play caller based on the OL we currently have in place. JMO of course.

You obviously weren't around (Just kidding) when it came out Shoop wanted to bring 1-2 guys with him from Penn State. That also proved true considering the turnaround he's had in one year after Tennessee.....
And he should’ve been able to bring them. Point is, he accepted the position so it wasn’t a dealbreaker or condition.

Reactions: Behr and JMSqb11
Don't want. No more of that hurry up, two-hand touch, sissy flag football. If you want the scoreboard to ring up like a pin ball machine then go to an arcade. That's not football. More like a game invented by a Northern left wing liberal trying to change a game to make it 'more interesting' to them. Best baseball game score is a 1-0 pitchers dual. Best hockey game 1-0 or 2-1. Football 24-21, certainly not 48 to 42.

Reactions: AM64
Don't know who we will be getting at OC but as far as Briles and this last season...and the finally stats on our OL...I really doubt that any OC could have made much of a difference this past season. I'm not sure how any knowledgeable fan could take the "sabermetrics" of this past season from the OL and not conclude the OC was NOT totally responsible for the ineptness we experienced on offense (I know he's ultimately responsible of course). Things certainly can change in 2019 and the new OC could benefit from that but I'm concerned that less understanding minds could go silly on the new OC IF the issues we experienced at OL are repeated in 2019. Not saying this is the case AT ALL as far as the new OC goes but looking at the personnel we currently have available there I don't think I would want to risk my reputation as a play caller based on the OL we currently have in place. JMO of course.
Pretty sure it has been mentioned multiple times (part of Helton's exit interview) that play calling this past year was severely limited because of the OL and their inability to consistently hold a block. Why was the coaching staff not able to scheme around it? I think because it was so inconsistent, they never knew from one play to the next whether all of the players would actually do their job correctly. It only takes one person failing to kill things for everyone.

Reactions: tennrich1
Don't want. No more of that hurry up, two-hand touch, sissy flag football. If you want the scoreboard to ring up like a pin ball machine then go to an arcade. That's not football. More like a game invented by a Northern left wing liberal trying to change a game to make it 'more interesting' to them. Best baseball game score is a 1-0 pitchers dual. Best hockey game 1-0 or 2-1. Football 24-21, certainly not 48 to 42.
Let’s bring back the leather helmets too!!

Reactions: Sin City Vol
Pretty sure it has been mentioned multiple times (part of Helton's exit interview) that play calling this past year was severely limited because of the OL and their inability to consistently hold a block. Why was the coaching staff not able to scheme around it? I think because it was so inconsistent, they never knew from one play to the next whether all of the players would actually do their job correctly. It only takes one person failing to kill things for everyone.
You are 100% correct...IMO

I had seen a few interviews with Kiffin when Briles was OC for him. He said that they ran a lot of repetitions, lot of on field practice, no play book.
I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but how do you have an offense at that level without a playbook? It is not necessary to affirm my ignorance. That has been certified by a list that is both long and distinguished.

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but how do you have an offense at that level without a playbook? It is not necessary to affirm my ignorance. That has been certified by a list that is both long and distinguished.

It is definitely different. But I remember him (Kiffen) saying that it was very basic concepts with a lot of read options. And it seemed to work that year when he was at FAU and seems to be working at Houston. So who knows.

Based on an article on tomohawk nation, FSU is not quick to pull the trigger on Briles either. Conjecture is that while they would take a PR hit for him coming, he also wants to bring some assistants that might not fit what Taggart wants. So it seems like its not only UT has an issue with who Briles wants to bring.

Reactions: Behr and bpalmer28

Not sure how old you are but you might quit watching football fairly soon. The game is now designed for high scoring.

Reactions: volunteerfan
Rumor has it that Pruitt isnt a fan of scoring points. Hed rather stop the other team from scoring alot and tell his o to run it up the middle until it works
I know you’re being cute but that’s not far from a championship blueprint.

Forgot THIS

VN Store

Back