What are we doing with BJ Edwards?

Hypothetically, if someone gets injured and granted an extra year of eligibility, what are they called? Are they called a Medical Hardship Freshman or a Redshirt Freshman?
As I understand it, they are called a redshirt senior, because you cannot apply for the medical hardship until you’ve exhausted your initial eligibility. Someone correct that if I’m wrong.

Reactions: VolPack22
As I understand it, they are called a redshirt senior, because you cannot apply for the medical hardship until you’ve exhausted your initial eligibility. Someone correct that if I’m wrong.

It appears it can be granted in any year.

"The medical hardship process is an important tool by which a student-athlete can receive an additional year of competition if, after participating in limited competition during a particular academic year, the student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury and the criteria set forth in NCAA Bylaw 14.2.4 are satisfied. It is the responsibility and duty of every individual involved in the medical hardship process to conduct themselves with the highest level of ethics, integrity, objectivity and professionalism. No medical hardship petition may be submitted unless and until it is verified that all of the criteria set forth in Bylaw 14.2.4 have been met

NCAA Bylaw 12.8.4 -- Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the NCAA for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occurs subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition not exceeding the maximum limitations in each sport as set forth in Bylaw 17 as set prior to the first scheduled contest or date of competition of the designated official NCAA championship playing season in the applicable sport) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled competition (including exempted events except for scrimmages and exhibition contests identified as such in the legislation) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.1.2 – Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill. A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.1.2.2 Change in Circumstances. If circumstances change and the student-athlete subsequently practices or competes at the institution at which the incapacitating injury or illness occurred, the student-athlete again shall become a counter, and the institution shall be required to count that financial aid under the limitations of this bylaw in the sport in question during each academic year in which the financial aid was received."

You can play I think 4 games in college basketball and still keep a redshirt...I thought they were passing a rule where it was gonna be 6-8 games but not sure if they did

BJ is not ready to play SEC basketball. Period. There, I said it so you all don't have to. That's not coaching staffs fault. That's his fault. Hopefully, he is watching, learning and will put in the work in the off season. I like the kid. But he has not looked good in the limited time he has played.

You can play I think 4 games in college basketball and still keep a redshirt...I thought they were passing a rule where it was gonna be 6-8 games but not sure if they did
Some conferences asked for a 4 game emergency use during the season affected so bad by Covid. I don't know if that got granted or not. The current rule as I see it, is a player can medical redshirt if he/she is injured and hasn't played in more than 30 percent of the first half of the scheduled games. Otherwise, there is no redshirt if you play in even one game.

Good question. He must be levels away from being an effective player as of this moment.

Kind of getting Tamba vibes here, I could be wrong of course.

VN Store

Back