What actually happened with Young's fumble at the goal line?

i didn’t say they didn’t get it right? I just answered the question. Confirmed means there wasn’t inclusive evidence to change the call, which mean they stuck with the initial Td. I never heard the ref mention a fumble is what I was saying. I’m not arguing the call.
He said confirmed..

Eactly, so they never considered the fumble even after the review, which is where they got the call wrong because the ball was clearly coming out of his hand before it broke the plane.
This is where the head ref messed up, though not the worst of the mistakes in this issue. He said "ruling is confirmed." They only thing confirmed was an alabama TD. After he said confirmed, he said there was a fumble recovered by bama.

The initial ruling did NOT include a fumble. They went arms up as soon as he broke the plane. That ruling was therefore NOT confirmed as he clearly stated in his explanation there had been a fumble.

He should have done a much better job of explaining by which manner they were gonna screw the Vols on this particular play.

Reactions: Bryan1
I watch NBA games. You don’t notice the officiating.
I watch NFL games. You don’t notice the officiating.
I watch MLB games. You don’t notice the umpiring.
I watch UT football games. The officiating is a total freaking joke and an insult to anyone with half a brain.

It could be, but if it wasn't in UT's immediate possession it really doesn't matter.
You seemed to be implying if UT didn't have it, then Bama did. There are two other possibilities: no one possessed it and it was impossible to determine who possessed it.

Show me the still image from the video where it is clearly in Bama's possession in the endzone. That likely doesn't exist or it would have been shown on the telecast. The replay officials apparently assumed Bama was in possession of the ball because their player appeared to be laying on it. I haven’t checked the rules but I'm guessing merely laying a ball doesn't meet the requirements for possession.

They lost sight of the ball for several seconds after it was fumbled and assumed Bama recovered it long enough to award a TD but they have no definitive video evidence to support that conclusion (which is supposed to be the standard).

Eactly, so they never considered the fumble even after the review, which is where they got the call wrong because the ball was clearly coming out of his hand before it broke the plane.

The ref said there was a fumble when announcing the review. He said Young fumbled and recovered.

I watch NBA games. You don’t notice the officiating.
I watch NFL games. You don’t notice the officiating.
I watch MLB games. You don’t notice the umpiring.
I watch UT football games. The officiating is a total freaking joke and an insult to anyone with half a brain.

If you don't notice the officiating in NFL games then I think you're lying when you say that you watch.

You seemed to be implying if UT didn't have it, then Bama did. There are two other possibilities: no one possessed it and it was impossible to determine who possessed it.

Show me the still image from the video where it is clearly in Bama's possession in the endzone. That likely doesn't exist or it would have been shown on the telecast. The replay officials apparently assumed Bama was in possession of the ball because their player appeared to be laying on it. I haven’t checked the rules but I'm guessing merely laying a ball doesn't meet the requirements for possession.

They lost sight of the ball for several seconds after it was fumbled and assumed Bama recovered it long enough to award a TD but they have no definitive video evidence to support that conclusion (which is supposed to be the standard).

Why would a still image be more convincing than video? That's completely backward.

And to that end, you can see the ball go underneath Young and it is there for multiple seconds before the pile becomes too big for a good view. Young may not have had his hands around it, but there is no way that any UT player did.

Why would a still image be more convincing than video?
Ok, where's the video plainly showing possession in the end zone?

Young may not have had his hands around it, but there is no way that any UT player did.
If he doesn't have his hands on it, how can he have possession? Whether or not UT had any hands on it is irrelevant, why do you keep going back to this? You are asserting a player may possess a ball without his hands on it, not sure that's in the rules.

UT came out of the pile with the ball. That is the only video evidence (still or moving) of someone possessing the ball in the end zone post fumble.

Show me the irrefutable video (still or moving) of any one from Bama with the football in the endzone.

Why would a still image be more convincing than video? That's completely backward.

And to that end, you can see the ball go underneath Young and it is there for multiple seconds before the pile becomes too big for a good view. Young may not have had his hands around it, but there is no way that any UT player did.
Dude why do you come on here just to disparage people's opinions? You seem like a miserable person.

Ok, where's the video plainly showing possession in the end zone?

If he doesn't have his hands on it, how can he have possession? Whether or not UT had any hands on it is irrelevant, why do you keep going back to this? You are asserting a player may possess a ball without his hands on it, not sure that's in the rules.

Because it's critical to the review. In fact, it's all that matters. The ruling on the field was TD. To overturn that there has to be indisputable video evidence that he didn't recover. There is no such evidence.

UT came out of the pile with the ball. That is the only video evidence (still or moving) of someone possessing the ball in the end zone post fumble.

They came out with the ball half a minute later. The change of possession has to be immediate for it to be overturned. There are several seconds in which you can see the ball disappear under Young's body and there is nothing that suggests a UT player recovered.

Dude, no. They called it a fumble, and said he recovered it, so the call of touchdown was confirmed. Go rewatch it.

Reactions: bamawriter
Dude, no. They called it a fumble, and said he recovered it, so the call of touchdown was confirmed. Go rewatch it.

Where’s the proof it was recovered?

Several of our players were throwing hand signals saying we had the ball.

From that camera angle, there’s no clear indication.

Where’s the proof it was recovered?

Several of our players were throwing hand signals saying we had the ball.

From that camera angle, there’s no clear indication.
I just watched it again, Bryce Young came out with the ball. He literally landed right on it.

I wish it were different, could’ve directly affected the outcome, but that’s what it is.

You may be right. I admit I haven't seen the play myself yet -- I'm relying on the interpretation of the replay given by Hubbs, which Ryan found persuasive.
You haven’t seen the play...it was atrocious, not as bad as the one that took points off the board for us against Ole Miss...but still a screw job and had it happened in Neyland I’m sure would of been another a golf ball or
Two on the field, right or wrong

I just watched it again, Bryce Young came out with the ball. He literally landed right on it.

I wish it were different, could’ve directly affected the outcome, but that’s what it is.
Has there ever been a rule in football about fumbling the ball forward and said fumbler being the one to recover in the endzone for a TD...I would think if you fumbled the ball forward and regained possession it should be a touchback. Just my 2 cents

Has there ever been a rule in football about fumbling the ball forward and said fumbler being the one to recover in the endzone for a TD...I would think if you fumbled the ball forward and regained possession it should be a touchback. Just my 2 cents

Yes, there is a rule about it. If a ball carrier fumbles forward it can recovered by any offensive player UNLESS it is 4th down. On 4th down only the ball carrier is allowed to recover his own fumble. A recovery by any other offensive player brings the ball back to the spot of the fumble.

VN Store

Back