What about high school football?

CA_Vol

I don’t have high school aged kids, so those who do, what are you hearing about high school football and other sports?

Our school district has elected to delay the start of school and go 100% virtual for at least the first month. They have not made a decision on extracurricular activities, but I’m doubtful they will approve those if they won’t even allow kids into school. What are y’all hearing in your towns?

It would really suck for these kids to have their season cancelled. I would imagine it would also have upstream effects with regards to recruits missing a season of play and development. Hopefully we don’t get a class full of J.J. Peterson’s.

My 6 year old son is in a summer day camp. The number of kids is greatly reduced this year. One college age kid to manage 5 young kids at a time. They wear masks but go swimming and play outside but don’t mingle with other groups. The camp made it three weeks and decided to shut down yesterday because two counselors have been exposed to someone with Covid. That’s all it takes to shut everything down. I don’t expect much different in regards to high school or college football.

We’re very risk averse right now and maybe that’s not a bad thing.

I don’t have high school aged kids, so those who do, what are you hearing about high school football and other sports?

Our school district has elected to delay the start of school and go 100% virtual for at least the first month. They have not made a decision on extracurricular activities, but I’m doubtful they will approve those if they won’t even allow kids into school. What are y’all hearing in your towns?

It would really suck for these kids to have their season cancelled. I would imagine it would also have upstream effects with regards to recruits missing a season of play and development. Hopefully we don’t get a class full of J.J. Peterson’s.

I'm in Virginia. They just announced that there will be no football in the fall. Still deciding if they're going to try to move it to the spring and shift some of the lower contact spring sports to the fall.

Maybe someone can confirm the validity of this source?

Gov. Lee: High school football will take the field this fall

I live In East Tennessee & our school board has elected to reopen as scheduled. There is an option to send your child back, or do the virtual online coarses. If your child goes back to school, which they are calling brick-and-mortar, then they are going to have to wear a mask all day.

Reactions: Remy and CA_Vol
I’m a school principal in Birmingham. All the schools here are currently practicing and planning on a season in the fall. However, the underlying thought is that we are walking on thin ice and the AHSAA (our TSSAA) can take it away any moment. If I were a betting man, I don’t think we will see a high school season this year.

Reactions: CA_Vol
The elephant in the room that schools don’t seem to be addressing in their reopening plans is what happens when a student is confirmed or around a case of COVID. All of these reopening plans sound nice, but no one is addressing the dilemma that we will all soon be facing.

I live in Northern KY, my son will be a freshman and is playing for a HS team in Ohio. They had June mini camps and just started Preseason practice, first game is August 21st for the team. Unfortunately he stepped in a hole first practice and is now in a cast, sad thing is he was just released by Doc from his knee surgery last year. My kids are homeschooled so it doesn’t matter if the school he plays for opens it goes virtual. Ohio athletic association is pressing forward. Hopefully it all works out, the season goes on, and he recuperates in time to continue to develop his skills.

The elephant in the room that schools don’t seem to be addressing in their reopening plans is what happens when a student is confirmed or around a case of COVID. All of these reopening plans sound nice, but no one is addressing the dilemma that we will all soon be facing.

Everybody is going to get it sooner or later, that’s the nature of a virus. At some point people have to live their lives,

Fulton Co. (Atlanta) just announced parents have a choice of in classroom or virtual studies. Anyone that does not chose in classroom will not be eligible for extra curricular activities.

Reactions: Remy and Kdbnab1
Everybody is going to get it sooner or later, that’s the nature of a virus. At some point people have to live their lives,

Agree. Except those in charge of allowing all of us to live our lives simply don’t want to be responsible for an outbreak and a vulnerable citizen getting really sick or losing their lives.

No sports will be played this fall in Virginia

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools just announced that they will have kids in school for 3-4 days a week and then transition to fully remote after 2 weeks. Sports has been pushed back to at least a September start.

Reactions: sport3500
Yeah, my three year old went back to school (it’s actually a city school because it has their Pre-K program within it) a month ago and thus far, no issues. But I’m sure the moment a COVID exposure happens, they’ll shut it back down.

The salient phrase of your post is "at some point." Unfortunately that "point" is different for everyone, and the decision makers are pretty gun-shy. That "point" for them may be a year or more away. For some, that "point" may never come. They will continue with lockdowns in perpetuity, although their numbers will decline as time goes on and reality becomes more and more obvious.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Just an opinion, but high school sports are more problematic than college due to the age of most players. In areas with a low incidence of covid, why wouldn't they play as long as parents sign off. I would let my son play. Could change quickly though if numbers in the region explode and something changes with the virus so it impacts that age group far more than it has previously.

VN Store

Back