What’s your alma mater? (High School)

You see it spelled both ways. Was it "Campbell's " during the Civil War?

According to wiki, it was.

Farragut, Tennessee - Wikipedia

The area was originally known as Campbell's Station after a fort and stage coach station erected by Captain David Campbell (1753–1832) in 1787. The brick Campbell's Station Inn was built in 1810 and still stands on Kingston Pike within sight of the Farragut Town Hall. The Civil War Battle of Campbell's Station was fought there on November 16, 1863.

According to wiki, it was.

Farragut, Tennessee - Wikipedia

The area was originally known as Campbell's Station after a fort and stage coach station erected by Captain David Campbell (1753–1832) in 1787. The brick Campbell's Station Inn was built in 1810 and still stands on Kingston Pike within sight of the Farragut Town Hall. The Civil War Battle of Campbell's Station was fought there on November 16, 1863.

And then there's this:
The Battle of Campbell Station Historical Marker

Reactions: StarRaider
My high school alma mater posted a drone shot photo of the football stadium with the main campus building in the backdrop that was pretty breathtaking. Gave me the idea for this post, since I don’t really know anything about what schools look like outside of South Carolina and I’m interested to see what the differences are with all of us.

Speaking of, I graduated from Dorman High School in Spartanburg, SC in 2014. If you’ve ever traveled down I-26 through South Carolina for any reason, then you’ve undoubtedly passed it. View attachment 482608
View attachment 482610
I went just down the road to Byrnes. Unless you have driven through the mighty metropolis of Duncan, SC, you’ve not seen it. Of course, The Rebels have been featured on ESPN a few times, so you could have seen ‘em that way…. Go Rebels!

I went just down the road to Byrnes. Unless you have driven through the mighty metropolis of Duncan, SC, you’ve not seen it. Of course, The Rebels have been featured on ESPN a few times, so you could have seen ‘em that way…. Go Rebels!
Byrnes @ Dorman 2010 was on ESPN U. I remember I was in 10th grade. It was a massive deal to both schools. Custom made t shirts, had to pre order your tickets to get in… I think it set an attendance record at Dorman. 16,000 roughly.

Reactions: MillerTime80
Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, Chattanooga, ‘05

The same schools as Uros, among many other notable basketball players (Ado from Miss State, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander from KY, etc)

Dobyns Bennett, Kingsport, TN. '82. (should have been 81, but dropped out and went back the next year)

al·ma ma·ter
[ˌälmə ˈmädər]

NOUN
(one's alma mater)
  1. the school, college, or university that one once attended:
    "he started teaching at his alma mater"
    synonyms:
    educational institution · center of learning · academy · college · phrontistery
    • the anthem of a school, college, or university.

This thread cites high school. I don't have feelings of fidelity to my high schools. I don't think of either as my alma mater. After finally completing requirements for a diploma from my second high school, I was searching for a college that would award me the grants, loans, and scholarships for which I qualified. Some told me that there was no money for me. Two told me that they would inform me of their decision mere weeks before I'd be required to report for Fall term. The University of Tennessee not only accepted me, they gave me a decision on my financial aid application within weeks of my submission, adding $500 from the general scholarship fund. I was able to attend and earn a BSBA. UT has my fidelity. I proudly call it my alma mater.

I was just trying to give a like, but since I did hit reply ... yeah, what he said!

But we were debating at my house whether you can have more than one alma mater. My position is no, as it means mother soul ... don't see how you could have more than one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tin Man
I was just trying to give a like, but since I did hit reply ... yeah, what he said!

But we were debating at my house whether you can have more than one alma mater. My position is no, as it means mother soul ... don't see how you could have more than one of those.
Isn't the definition "attended" a school. So Yes.

VN Store

Back