What’s it Going to Take to Win the Missouri Game?

That's an easy question.

Good quarterback play from someone who can throw a 30 yard dart in stride across the middle and a bomb in stride down the sidelines.

We're eventually gonna start missing on these rooty poot 50-50 prayer tosses. That we haven't already paid dearly for trying that crap over and over is a testament to our alpha dog receivers.

Last edited:
I am thinking this will possibly be the most important challenge to our pass defense and pass rush and will require Warrior and DBs to play their best game. Bryant will be hungry for a good showing in front of scouts and will have knocked any rust off during the Florida game. Dline needs to put pressure on the QB and make him throw bad passes our DBs are ready for. I believe Missouri’s receivers are all pretty good, so there’s that too. Of course we will still have to play well against the run and that can’t be an afterthought.

Nigel Warrior’s improvement has been key in resurrecting Tennessee’s 2019 season

Missouri has played good defense all year, even in the Florida game. Our offense has fallen off so badly that the defense eventually gets worn out by 3rd and 4th quarter.

I was excited about this year, even after the Wyoming debacle, I really thought this would be a special year. Was looking forward to trash talking on here after every victory and having some fun on here especially for Vol game-week. That went out the window as soon as we lost to Vandy. It was clear as day we did not have what we thought we had. For some reason our offense just completely broke down and I'm honestly not sure why. If you can score 17 most likely you will win, and I am not exaggerating at all. My prediction is a dogfight.

Control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
No Vols turnovers and take advantage of any Mizzou turnovers.
Don't start JG (honestly, he plays better coming off the bench).
Play smart (limit penalties).

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Missouri has played good defense all year, even in the Florida game. Our offense has fallen off so badly that the defense eventually gets worn out by 3rd and 4th quarter.

I was excited about this year, even after the Wyoming debacle, I really thought this would be a special year. Was looking forward to trash talking on here after every victory and having some fun on here especially for Vol game-week. That went out the window as soon as we lost to Vandy. It was clear as day we did not have what we thought we had. For some reason our offense just completely broke down and I'm honestly not sure why. If you can score 17 most likely you will win, and I am not exaggerating at all. My prediction is a dogfight.

Derrick Dooley is your OC! He is a really good Xs and Os coach but he is a little eccentric. Not awe inspiring!

Orange Blood and Guts is what it will take to go to CoMo and bring back a W
Go Vols get it done!

Control the ball, control the clock. Constant pressure on the qb, DBs have to play up on receivers. Establish the run, Callaway and Jennings have to use those big bodies to their advantage. Get the TE more involved.
Get the TE more involved ... I hope for this every damn season ... but Lucy always pulls the football away.

Reactions: Vol737
Get the TE more involved ... I hope for this every damn season ... but Lucy always pulls the football away.

imo if we try to control the clock with the running game we lose. Open the offense up, downfield passes, have a balanced attack 50% run 50% pass. I do agree get the te involved more also.

Last edited:
imo if we try to control the clock with the running game we lose. Open the offense up, downfield passes, have a balanced attack 50% run 50% pass. I do agree get the te involved more also.
I basically agree with you. Let Chaney be Chaney, and our boys execute. And don't let up.

Mizzou plays good pass D which at least on the surface does not favor UT. UT has not run the ball well.

The problem with trying to evaluate them is their schedule. Their OOC is weak and they lost to a mediocre mid-major. They beat WVU who has proven to be a pretty bad team. Even in the SEC, they've dodged the better teams except for UGA who beat them 27-0. Mizzou has beaten one team that currently has a winning record... FCS SEMO. Six of their 8 FBS opponents have losing records. They lost to two of them.

None of this means their D isn't good. It does mean that they're probably UK/UAB good and not UGA/UF good.

For a team that appears to defend the pass well, they do not sack or pressure the QB a lot. They play to keep everything in front of them and force patience.... while they try to play fast on O.
From what I have seen they rarely bring pressure. Rush 4 and base 4-2 most of the game

Reactions: VOLSONLY
What’s it Going to Take to Win the Missouri Game?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

/thread.
Touché

Off topic, but I’ve been following this message board for a few years and I still don’t know what WGWTFA means. Is there an old post or thread that would lead me to the answer?
We gonna whip that friggin arse is all I can make of it lol

The one thing the Vols can't be expected to do, is beat Mizzou and the ref's
because it's just too much to ask, right?

Frankly, I think we need to play our best game of the year. We'll need to play clean and mistake free. My big concerns are the OL and our punting. If we can't run the ball, they'll be feasting on JG and when he's focused on the rush instead of receivers...well...we've seen that show before. No clue what has gone haywire with our punting. I thought that was rock solid coming into the year. Now it seems like every other punt is a shank. Can't have that today. Just can't.

VN Store

Back