West Virginia transfer C - Matt McCormick (Vol)

Serious question, as I am new over here, is that because there are so few that can do it or do teams just not use may 100+ pitchers for other reasons?

I would assume with modern training methods the population of pitchers that can hit 100 is much larger than it used to be; however, power pitching only gets you so far. You need to combine exceptional command and power pitching to succeed professionally and those guys are a dime a dozen (I.e. Nate Eovaldi, Brusdar Graterol, Aroldis Champan, etc.).

Reactions: GenRRN
Big league hitters can hit 100 mph pitches all day long if they're center cut (aren't well located). Power pitching is important in the big leagues, but control/command is more important. Maybe that's why you don't see 100 mph very often in the majors.

Hopefully our pitchers will be taught to favor control over power. I'm guessing they'll sacrifice some speed and throw in the mid nineties in order to maintain command. If they throw with good command at those velocities, that'll be more than enough power.

Reactions: GenRRN
If they can’t throw with control/command Coach Anderson and Coach V will not put them on the mound. The average fan looks and sees that so-and-so throws 95 and wonders why they are not pitching more. But if their walks are very high, they will not see the mound right now in a Tennessee jersey.

That is great to know. Thanks.

Well, I'm hearing 5 throw over 95 consistently, which for a college team is quite an accomplishment, especially if they have a mix of pitches and hit their spots. As for the 100? It's one thing to consistently hit 100 (which I know Joyce does), it's another to "touch" a hundred. I doubt they're all hitting 100 consistently. Still, I do not want to take anything away from the guys throwing 95+ consistently.

VN Store

Back