West Virginia transfer C - Matt McCormick (Vol)

Great pickup...I'm still a little bummed that Greer didn't give it another year if he still had eligibility...I think he could have been a good catcher

If I remember correctly, Greer was out of eligibility.

Reactions: VolnJC
It was surprising just how bad several of the pitchers including relievers were at holding on runners. RHP with a high leg kick? UVa and Texas took advantage of that in Omaha.

McCormick is not being talked up as a terrific defensive catcher, so pitchers will have to help with their time to HP. I heard CTV talking about having two catchers. I'm guessing there will be a catcher platoon, one guy to catch Tuesdays and Saturdays (or Sundays) and one guy for Friday night and one of the other weekend games. It's hard for these guys to catch two or three games in a row.

LOL

I would think the fact that it's in the baseball forum might have ruined the surprise.
yes, but when it is listed in the "Vols Forum Threads" (main page) section you cannot tell where the thread is until you pick on the link and go to the actual thread.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
McCormick is not being talked up as a terrific defensive catcher, so pitchers will have to help with their time to HP. I heard CTV talking about having two catchers. I'm guessing there will be a catcher platoon, one guy to catch Tuesdays and Saturdays (or Sundays) and one guy for Friday night and one of the other weekend games. It's hard for these guys to catch two or three games in a row.

I think, I hope that part of CTV's development as a coach is to learn how to get the team to peak when it counts. i.e. regionals, supers and especially at the series.

I think having more dudes that can play will help. Especially, for catchers, staying fresh and healthy includes playing a little less.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I think, I hope that part of CTV's development as a coach is to learn how to get the team to peak when it counts. i.e. regionals, supers and especially at the series.

I think having more dudes that can play will help. Especially, for catchers, staying fresh and healthy includes playing a little less.

Yep. Especially catching three days (or even two days) in a row. Also especially catching a day game after a night game.

A friend of my son pitches at WVU and said that he was their best player over the last 2 yrs (at least offensively) he really did not elaborate on defense just said he is a good bat with some pop and played every game except a couple and they were midweek ho hums

What your son's friend did not tell you was that he played first base last year and was the 3rd catcher on the team. Don't expect much defensively.

What your son's friend did not tell you was that he played first base last year and was the 3rd catcher on the team. Don't expect much defensively.
Here’s his stats so people can see: Matt McCormick - Baseball - West Virginia University Athletics

He was in 51 games, so he was clearly good enough to get in the lineup regularly. The primary catcher signed with the Marlins. I’d imagine finding players in the transfer portal with this much playing time in a P5 conference is hard.

UT isn’t handing the position to him; he’s competing for it.

I'm hearing Matt McCormick (Catcher) showed up to UT, lasted a few practices, but left the team. I suspect he didn't quit baseball all together based on his Summer performance as well as WVU stats. I have an idea of where he went, but I can't confirm at this time. My thought is that he is at another team in the SEC.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I'm hearing Matt McCormick (Catcher) showed up to UT, lasted a few practices, but left the team. I suspect he didn't quit baseball all together based on his Summer performance as well as WVU stats. I have an idea of where he went, but I can't confirm at this time. My thought is that he is at another team in the SEC.
Where did he go? So a player can just “try out” teams/schools now?
GBO!!

This means Vitello’s goners!
- C Lowe prolly

Doesn't make sense unless he thought he was going to walk into the starting job and that wasn't the case. Can we assume Charlie Taylor is looking good? Anyone have specifics on why it's unfolding this way?

Hearing that the workouts are EXTREMELLY hard and just wasn't ready to handle them, UT is trying to be a National Contender every year and there is no substitute for hard work. TV has created a culture and a brand and some kids just don't fit the system.
It takes a Special System to be the National Stage every year. I am hearing this team has the pcs for a run!!! Go Vols!!!

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense unless he thought he was going to walk into the starting job and that wasn't the case. Can we assume Charlie Taylor is looking good? Anyone have specifics on why it's unfolding this way?

what Volsbaseballfan says is basically true, after a few workouts he opted out. Whether or not it was because of Q's workouts.......it may have played a part however it may not have been the sole reason for him to move on. I think the staff is comfortable with their options behind the plate next year. Do we have a potential 1st round pick behind the plate, probably not, however, I think the catching situation will be more than adequate. Besides, we can't hold runners on first anyway........

Here’s his stats so people can see: Matt McCormick - Baseball - West Virginia University Athletics

He was in 51 games, so he was clearly good enough to get in the lineup regularly. The primary catcher signed with the Marlins. I’d imagine finding players in the transfer portal with this much playing time in a P5 conference is hard.

UT isn’t handing the position to him; he’s competing for it.
Matt just looks like a catcher. Sounds like a solid get for the Diamond Vols.

VN Store

Back