Were you born into this or did you just decide to pick Tennessee

Honestly, at the time, I didn’t see any other female posters so I didn’t know how a predominantly male fb fanbase would react to a woman jumping in a conversation about football. They are horrible to women over in the SEC Rant.

Well to heck with those SEC Rant folks. We Vol Nation folks are much more enlightened and welcome all genders and opinions. Unless you happen to disagree with someone. Then we’ll eat our own.

Welcome aboard.

Well to heck with those SEC Rant folks. We Vol Nation folks are much more enlightened and welcome all genders and opinions. Unless you happen to disagree with someone. Then we’ll eat our own.

Welcome aboard.
Oh I’ve been here for a minute now. Some call me PAW lol. But really this forum is the best despite my bias. I jump around in different threads depending on the season and I love how each one has its own vibe. My guilty pleasure are the game threads lol.

Sooner born and Sooner bred. When I die I'll be Sooner dead. But I visited the UT campus for a convention 30 years ago and fell in love with the place. Almost took a job in Knoxville, I liked it so much. Been a lurking fan for years and with Josh Heupel taking over, have become even more active.

I look forward to the coming Oklahoma/Tennessee games in the future. I will always love the Big Red, but Tennessee is my next favorite school.

My dad was born and raised in East Tennessee. After a 20 year military career, he returned "home" with a wife and three sons in 1970. I met Bobby Majors and Curt Watson at a meet and greet type event. I was 9 years old and thought those guys were larger than life. I listened to or watched the games from that point on. To this day, I'll take John Ward over any broadcaster out there.

Reactions: SDV and UT_Dutchman
I’m from PA and I had only watched NFL prior to randomly catching the 92 game vs. Florida. I was immediately hooked and never wavered or looked back. I’ve made the 8hr trip many of times to Neyland stadium over the years. It blows people’s minds that I have no official ties to Tennessee and I’m as die hard as I am. I get questioned all the time as to how I became a fan living in PA. My kids were born into it and both have aspirations of going to school there. GBO!

Honestly, at the time, I didn’t see any other female posters so I didn’t know how a predominantly male fb fanbase would react to a woman jumping in a conversation about football. They are horrible to women over in the SEC Rant.

Well, being an Army wife you’re probably tougher than a $2 steak from Bi-Lo anyway, so you fit right in here. You’ve probably figured out by now we’re just a bunch of blustering, testosterone ridden clowns that think we know what we’re talking about in here. So, don’t mind us.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I had a friend who was a vols fan from birth, I grew up in a household where pro football was the sport. My buddy convinced me to be a UT fan and I've been hooked ever since.

Nashville native. Mom, Aunts & Uncles went to Vandy. Grandfather English professor at Vandy. Wanted to go away to college. UTK is far enough that parents cant drop in & close enough to come home. Did not realize how much Vandy hates UT. Gradually grew to root against Vandy in any sport. My kids all went to UT. Our blood is Orange.

Born in eastern Kentucky. My Dad and both my brothers were always huge Wildcat fans. But, when I was six (long before I ever even thought about college sports), and while living in Kentucky across the river from Cincinnati, I just knew that Orange was my favorite color. Then when I was seven my Dad was transferred to Knoxville. When I saw Orange all over the city I immediately fell in love. Been bleeding Orange ever since. Even after spending the better part of 35 years working in Atlanta, Knoxville is the only place I’ve ever called home. So, I wasn’t born into it, but I’m a Volunteer to the bone. GO BIG ORANGE!

I’m pretty sure at the age of 8, the Vols, Lakers, and Braves were all really good teams. I’ve stuck with em and been cursed every since.

Maybe you've been in a coma, but I have great news. The Braves are reigning World Series Champs!

Same teams here since the early 80's as a kid - Vols (basketball first, football second), Braves, Lakers, and Broncos.

Was born into Vols and Braves fandom.

I chose the Lakers (Magic, Worthy, Divac) and Broncos (Elway) because I loved the players.

Still passionate about the Vols and Braves. Could care less about the Lakers (whiny Lebron) and Broncos (replaced by Titans).

All in all, things are looking positive for all my favorites right now. Vols basketball and football are as exciting as ever thanks to Barnes and Heupel. Titans are annual playoff team. Braves are right back near the top of baseball with a core of young stars that are locked up for the next decade. Boom!

Grew up in New Jersey as the product of divorced parents. Dad moved away to TN for a teaching job at Roane State. Due to significantly lower tuition for in state residents my college choices were Rutgers or UT. I went south and arrived on campus, sight unseen, on orientation day '79. Walking around campus, seems like the first week, I heard some rumbling from the stadium. Wandered into the southwest corner, no ticket, and somehow found myself 10 feet from the 10 yard line, almost plastered by Utah players chasing Jimmy Streeter out of bounds. That was the scene that began the best 5 years of my life. Of course it didn't hurt that later that night, legally I think, I somehow ended up at my first bar during a wet T-shirt contest. Some place called Shelbourne Towers. Impressionable day for a kid right out of high school.

Chose it. Grew up a Penn State fan. Watched UT play one day in the early 90's and realized I had been watching terrible boring football all my life leading up to that point.

Reactions: LadyVolette
I chose this life!

I was born and raised in south Florida where college football wasn’t a big deal and so I never followed it. I moved to the Knoxville area when I was 13 (in 2006) and immediately became infatuated with the Vols because of how passionate the community was for them. I wish I could’ve witnessed better times for the program but there is no jumping ship for me.

I grew up going to as many USC Trojan games as possible. Been to 5 Rose Bowls, gone all over the West Coast and ND to see games. Long story short, saw the power of the fan base when I saw Tenn play ucla in Pasadena CA. I wanted to be a Vols fan at about 12 years old. Almost moved to Knoxville 5 years ago. Finally moved my family last year. East Tenn has so much to offer but rooting hard for the Vols is my favorite thing to do. I'm all in through good and bad. The fan base deserves a winner more than any other fan base.

VN Store

Back