Were you born into this or did you just decide to pick Tennessee

I guess a little of both. My father covered UT games for the Associated Press in the 50s. When I was born we had moved to Nashville and he was not covering the games anymore. Although not from Tennessee he became a fan (instead of being an unbiased reporter) after we moved and we watched, listened on the radio attended games while I was growing up. I took it to the next step graduating from UT and being a season ticket holder ever since.

I am sure somewhere along the way there has been a thread like this one. I'm just curious and figured it would make for some good stories while we wait on Saturday. Were you born into being a Tennessee fan or just decided one day that you liked Tennessee.

My story: My dad grew up in Cleveland, TN. He is obviously a lifelong Tennessee fan. I was born into it and never thought for a second to like any other team.
Born into it...At UT hospital...My first diaper was orange and white i am told...As a young child I remember my uncle and my brother watching the games...My brother took me to my first game in 1973...Vanderbilt game and we won...I was hooked after that.

Born into it. My biological father's side of the family are from Knoxville. Dad went to Knox West High School. My grandfather worked for the Knox News Sentinel and would draw what some of the older fans would know as Dyergrams on game day. We didn't get to go to a lot of games growing up but the ones we did get to attend, no matter who they played, felt like we were living a dream. Listening to John and Bill call the games, Pride of the Southland, players running through the T. Those things just imprinted on my DNA. Rocky Top will always be home sweet home to me. Go Vols.

Father was a Gator, mother a Hokie but by the grace of God family moved when I was 3 to Knoxville. First game in-person was 92 Florida. Left the game drenched but a vol fan for life.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I live in S.C. never been a clemson fan or commander cock fan. (Haha) S.C. gamecock fan. My uncle got me into The VOLS when I was 8. I'm now 43 .I've never regretted loving the VOLS. I'm a ride and die type person so I'll bleed Orange til the day I die.

Born into it (Knoxville) but was moved at age 13 to just outside of Birmingham,AL of all places. Born of the orange and will die of the orange. I would never pull for the hometown team!

Transplant but I've been a Vol fan for 45 years. At the age of 10 I was introduced to UT football by a close friend. Another friend's family had season tickets and took me to the games. I was hooked. Eight family UT graduates later and it's a way of life.

Born. As a kid, I was spoiled. The only thing I knew was winning. I thought 10-2 was a bad season. I laughed at UGA and Bama for being delusional about ever beating UT.

I dig this thread. I was born into it. My dad is a Clarksville native and one of the biggest UT fans I've ever seen. Even when I was a teenager and thought everything he did was wrong, being a UT fan was one thing I never questioned (also he was never actually wrong). Now I've got 2 kids of my own and they already hate Bama and love UT. So, if there's one thing I can look back on and say I did it right...this is it.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Picked it. Earliest great memory is the Miracle at South Bend, that's when I was old enough to really know what was going on.

Born into it my father was a diehard Tennessee fan in every sport, hated every SEC school and put that virtue in me. Kind of ironic I done the same to my son and now into my grandson who is 2. To the day I can't make myself root for another SEC school to win in championship games especially if it's Alabama in football and damn Kentucky in basketball.

My sixth grade math teacher told Us once that if Tennessee won that weekend, we wouldn't have homework the following week.... they did, and I've been a fan ever since.

Born in NJ, in the shadows of NYC. My mom's side of the family was, and is still, from east Tennessee. Spending may summers and vacations as a kid in Johnson City/Jonesborough area I came to know the Vols as the team my family rooted for. I didnt get to see much of them and being from the northeast, college football is not as big as it is in other parts of the country. The NFL was much more relevant in the NY area. We had season ticket to the NY Giants games. 1980/90s Giants was all consuming. Add to that, my dad was a Penn State alumni and so we watched Penn State games and went to a few games (Early-mid 1980s). Notre Dame and Michigan were also on about every weekend. But I never could really get into the Big10 teams.

By the time I started high school, and with those continued visits to east Tennessee, I started watching UT games when they were on. By the time I was finishing high school I was a full on Vols fan.

I eventually attended UT and am a proud alumni of the University of Tennessee.

I guess that's a long way to say - kinda of both....born into it via my TN family influence...but also, something I chose.

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
Born into it. My granddaddy graduated from UT, first in our family to graduate college, and he loved everything about UT. He knew every player on every team and if we had an underwater basket weaving team, he’d watch every game. My grandmother grew up in Fountain City and they met at UT before moving to Jackson and eventually to Fayette County. Growing up, we didn’t have a choice, it was always going to be the Vols and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Reactions: UT_Alex
My dad saw to it that I would be Big Orange through and through. With Vandy and Bammer fans mixed in around me in my family, my daddy said "my sons will not be a fan of either of those schools." And I'm glad he held to it. Both my daughters now are Big Orange through and through.

"Train up a child In the way they should go..."

Not even remotely born into a Tennessee tradition. As a 6-year old in Louisville, KY, I became a UT fan after seeing the Vols beat Texas A&M in the Gator Bowl. UT won by a field goal - in fact those were the only 3 points in the game - and I've been a huge fan of UT and especially kickers ever since. My granddad was my hero. When I learned he lived in East Tennessee as a young man, that cemented it. I was a huge Vol basketball fan, too, so I was an outcast in Kentucky. I have many, many stories about experiences at UT/uk bball games. I saw my first football game in Neyland in 1967 against Tulane and was absolutely awed by the atmosphere. I bought season tickets the year I graduated and still sit in those seats. The year 1967 was also a BasketVols SEC championship year. Baseball was my sport in high school and I was thrilled to watch Condredge Holloway both in football and baseball during my undergrad and grad years at UT. Besides baseball, my high school was good at girl's basketball. When I got to UT, I watched a fledgling women's team coached by Pat Head and got hooked. As my mother would have said, "I am eat up with UT."

Neither...I married into being a fan. It was pretty easy as my Alma Mater Saint Louis University does not play football. We lived in St. Louis and the only football in Missouri was played in Columbia, MO. My wife would tell me wait until I take you to a game at Neyland Stadium and she was right.

86 Sugar Bowl was the first football game in my memory. Born in TN but my parents were from up North. My Dad is a musician and doesn't care anything about football. My Mom follows it but not closely. I'll never forget that game or how much I loved the orange unis. I was hooked from the coin toss.

Born and bred… my fam responsible for the first stick built house in the state’s oldest town. We been here (USA) since at least circa 1650 and this is my blood 🩸
1663125422862.jpeg
1663125495257.jpeg
1663125521352.jpeg

We are all Volunteers 💯
We have not yet begun to fight!!

VN Store

Back