We're in Pittsburgh!

You will fit in just fine with the locals by still calling it Heinz Field. The change got some blowback. But that is kind of in our DNA. I notice many of you incorrectly refer to it as “Pittsburg”. It is spelled Pittsburgh in the Scottish traditional manor with an “h”. In 1891 they tried to standardize US cities to “burg”. Our city officially became Pittsburg, but no one actually called it that. So in 1911 they gave up and put the “h” back on the end.

saw a guy in the stands in a Heinz ketchup bottle outfit

Reactions: GGAllin
I can tell you many folks from that area were shocked when Rolling Rock became a premium, in demand beer

Yeah it was always a local favorite because it was brewed nearby, but Rolling Rock popularity spiked in the 90s. There was a scene in Reality Bites (I think) where the characters are hanging out on a roof in Seattle drinking green bottles of Rolling Rock. I remember seeing that and thinking it was funny. RR also hosted a “Town Hall” music festival in that era that featured national rock bands.

It is a unique taste I guess, but always gave me terrible hangovers.

Reactions: volinbham
Didn't a lot of the Appalachian dialect also come from the Scottish and Irish settlers?

Hard to really say one group or another had the most influence. I mean the people who came in on ships to, say Virginia, were from different places. There were a lot of Irish and Scotch. But like my ancestors, they were English and on the other side French. My French relatives came here in 1700 to avoid the persecution of France, who at the time were killing French Protestants (Huguenots.).

Reactions: Holys#!tVol1979
I can tell you many folks from that area were shocked when Rolling Rock became a premium, in demand beer

I was living in Hawaii the first time I saw RR priced high in the premium beer section at a local grocery store. I had some people giving me weird looks because of the inability to control my laughter. Ah, the power of marketing.

Reactions: volinbham
Lol. Iron City has a bad rap but it’s as good as any other cheap drinker. But there are a whole lot better options for local beer in Pittsburgh.
We had a couple iron city beers. It is fine. Light and refreshing. Goes good with the Pramanti bros sammich

Lol. Iron City has a bad rap but it’s as good as any other cheap drinker. But there are a whole lot better options for local beer in Pittsburgh.
Actually, I enjoy a taste of the old standards long enjoyed in places like Pittsburgh. Detroit had Stroh's, Philly had Yuengling, which is nationwide these days. Same with San Francisco 's Anchor Steam.

Didn't a lot of the Appalachian dialect also come from the Scottish and Irish settlers?
Yes and in East Tennessee it’s actually closer to 15/16th century Elizabethan English. If I could find the link, there’s a video of a professor shattering the myth that Shakespeare wrote and spoke King’s English. When you hear Shakespeare both ways ( in King’s and Elizabethan/Southern Appalachian dialects) it’s very clear to understand which way he spoke and wrote his works!

VN Store

Back