Were any of you there for the 98 Arkansas game?

I was. Soaking wet if I remember correctly.
I was at the game. Horrible game until the fumble. I was lucky enough to be setting under the press box. I didn’t realize how bad the weather was until I went to the restroom at half time and saw all these fans wet and shivering. Travis Henry was an unstoppable beast after the fumble.

Reactions: allvol123
I’m 28 so I was 5 when this game happened, I remember watching it on tv, bits and pieces. Those of you who were there what was the vibe like in Neyland? I imagine people were leaving but turned around once the crowd roared bc of the fumble. For those of you who went im jealous!
Yes. It was freezing. Standing in the student section as a senior. It was a glorious game!

I’m 28 so I was 5 when this game happened, I remember watching it on tv, bits and pieces. Those of you who were there what was the vibe like in Neyland? I imagine people were leaving but turned around once the crowd roared bc of the fumble. For those of you who went im jealous!

I was there!! I was 14 years old, siting in section I, row 61,seat 13! My parents had three tickets but none of them were together, but close enough we could could all see each other. After we turned the ball over on downs, my dad comes walking up the steps and says, "Let's go!" We walked to the concourse, but I REFUSED to leave!

We proceeded to watch in amazement as our OL ate Arkansas lunch all the way to the end zone after the fumble. There is not a defense in all of history that could have stopped us that drive. I watched as grown men had tears running down their face, as everyone, seemingly at the exact same time, had the thought, "This is a team of destiny, this is going to be our year."

Been to a lot of big games, big wins, and stupid losses, but that is the game I have told my wife and kids about the most.

It was the loudest I've been to and I've been to some good ones. XX3 row 4. Felt like we were going to fall off the balcony after we recovered the fumble.

Having been going to games at Neyland since 1965, many years to every single game and have seen many great wins.
The 1998 Arkansas win was imo the most meaningful game in Neyland during that long period. This was my first game to attend where my beloved Vols were #1 ranked in the major polls. Two top ten ranked 8-0 teams playing in November, also a first. Fortunate to have seats in the dry while the rain poured down. Going from total frustration to complete happiness in a matter of minutes. Watching play after play as Travis Henry and OL pounded it down their throats for the winning score in last few seconds. As that game ended I felt certain we were a team of destiny and would finally win it all.

I was moving out of my apt to my first house that day. Tv was on sitting on the floor. It was the last thing to go and we were about to unplug it when the fumble occurred.

Was there and we did get soaked. But it was worth it. Billy Ratliff made a great play. I believe the AR guard that he bull rushed into Stoerner was Brandon Burlsworth who tragically passed away a number of years ago. When Travis Henry scored, that was about as loud as I’ve ever heard Neyland.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
Remember watching us not convert on 4th down with under 2 minutes left and being in absolutely shock for the next 120 or so seconds prior to the fumble. Was so confident even down 18 we would win. If stoerner doesn’t fumble we get the ball back with about a minute left and still think our team finds a way to get Jeff Hall in position to win the game.

We were destined to win this game. The Arkansas Punter Pooching the ball into the end zone called incorrectly was the straw that broke the camel's back. Ref's got it wrong and called it a safety vs placing the ball on the 7 yard line. I have often wondered if this had been called correctly what the score would have been.

I wasn't there but ii have a friend who was and he said they had already turned and congratulated some arky fans who were sitting behind them, and bam the stumble and fumble happens, and the place went nuts.

Wasn’t there, but remember watching it. I was 14 at the time and the 90’s were awesome in general, not just football.

Late to the conversation and haven’t read the thread yet, but me and my best Vol friend was there! Our fans were very confident, I heard many times before the game…that we putting the pigs back in their place today.

I was nervous, I knew they was hungry and wanted a place at the table. We didn’t play our best until THE FUMBLE. People were leaving and people were screaming at them for leaving.

When we got the ball back, there was no doubt in my mind, we was a team of destiny. Our Oline took over and Travis Henry was running like he was possessed. When we scored, Neyland was shaking underneath us. Everyone was jumping up and down and I just sit there with my hands in my face, that stadium was definitely shaking.

It was pouring down rain the entire game and when we made it back to the strip (yes, people used to have a good time on the strip) we when into a bar and started celebrating/drinking and when we got up there was a pond out in the floor beside us. Great Day!

We were at all of the 98 homes games. Will never forget that season, and to be a part of it was something special! Our seats were in XX2 Row 13 Seats 1 and 2. Our first season tickets were when the chairback seats were built in the upper deck. Great times!

I was posted two blocks away in an ambulance. I heard all about the game from John Ward.

Yes. People were leaving after the incompletion. Maybe 20k gone. The stadium has never been louder than that moment even with the fans outside. I was there for 98 Florida, Cal, Oklahoma, name it. 98 Arkansas after the stumble fumble was the loudest Neyland has ever been. Even the blue hairs were standing up, clapping, screaming, and pounding he bleachers. Was a thing of beauty.

The rest was pretty terrible. I had the worst design poncho made that funneled the water to my lap. Cold and wet. But then it suddenly didn't matter.

I was. I had a buddy back out at the last minute, went by myself, (but hey, I had two seats to myself!) a 3.5 hour drive, it was pouring rain, we got our arses kicked most of the game. I was sitting high up in EE, and very depressed, had also just broken up with a gf, and miserable about life in general.

Then the miracle occurred. I can't describe adequately how good that made me feel. I remember the drive home being the best ever. It truly made my day or really week TBH.

We had played better in the second half, got it close, then it looked like Ark just had to run the clock out, and we got that incredibly lucky break.

It's my third favorite game ever (bammer 95 is no. 1, uf 98 no. 2). It was simply awesome.

What was weird about that game was that both teams were undefeated and in the top ten, but the Vols had played a series of huge top ten games that year, and this one was overlooked a bit. Ark was considered to be overrated in spite of being undefeated (not fair to them really), but also it was raining hard so the game didn't even sell out. There were tickets at the gate going for $10 as I entered the stadium. I guess the whole world, apparently including the Vol team, was maybe overlooking Ark.

Anyway, it was amazing. No Vol that was there would ever forget it.

Reactions: Birdie
I'll never forget the experience. My seats were right on the line of scrimmage of where the fumble happened. I had a great view, and I and the rest of the crowd went wild!!

VN Store

Back