Were any of you there for the 98 Arkansas game?

Berry4Heisman14

VOL til death
I’m 28 so I was 5 when this game happened, I remember watching it on tv, bits and pieces. Those of you who were there what was the vibe like in Neyland? I imagine people were leaving but turned around once the crowd roared bc of the fumble. For those of you who went im jealous!

I’m 28 so I was 5 when this game happened, I remember watching it on tv, bits and pieces. Those of you who were there what was the vibe like in Neyland? I imagine people were leaving but turned around once the crowd roared bc of the fumble. For those of you who went im jealous!

Yes and the stadium had started to empty out. There were thousands in the concourse or just outside the stadium when the fumble happened.

I was there with my dad and was 15 at the time. I talked my Dad into staying for the entire game. Turned out to be a great idea. The atmosphere was electric especially when the stumble and fumble happened. The crowd noise was even louder when Travis Henry scored the go ahead TD.

Last edited:
I envy y’all who are old enough to experience the 90s. Unfortunately I’ve seen us be pretty bad most of my life, also a lot of people my age and especially younger who live in Tennessee aren’t even Tennessee fans.

I was living in married student housing in 98. Undergrad from 91-96. I spent my nineties assuming we would win every Saturday. That isn’t hyperbole.

That 2004 Florida game set the attendance record at just over 109k and yeah it was crazy loud when Wilhoit hit that winning FG.

Florida '98 was pretty loud too. I consider myself lucky to have witnessed Tennessee football at its peak during the 90s.

Didn't go to the Arkansas game in 1998, almost threw myself out of a high rise apartment window on that 4th down.

I was there, both teams 8-0. First time we were ranked #1 all season and fulmer almost choked it away. Rainy all day, but never once thought about leaving. There was something special about that team. U could just feel it. Was at the Florida game earlier that year. Loudest I’ve ever heard Neyland and I’ll never forget rushing the field when they missed the field goal in OT. It was incredible. Good times. GBO

I was sitting in the end zone seats where we scored the final touchdown. Was with a friend and his parent, but his parent were sitting somewhere else. We didn't have a cell phone. So, we made plans to stay for the entire game regardless, and then we had a meeting point after the game. People were leaving in droves, then the fumble happened, and they all came running back in. lol. good times. Glad we had a plan to stay the entire game. I was about as close to that fumble as anyone else not on the field.

I was there. We had season tickets in Section S under the overhang of the upper deck throughout my childhood (yes, I sincerely appreciate how good I had it growing up). I was old enough to go to games around the '90 season, and was at every home game until 2001 when we relocated away from Knoxville. The loudest Neyland I remember was Florida missing the FG in OT in '98. But the Stoernor fumble had to be top 3 moments of sheer craziness in there. A few in our area were heading out after the 4th down pass fell to the turf. But most of us stayed to the bitter end, never giving up until the clock showed triple zeros. You could just feel the energy growing with each handoff to Henry, you just knew there was no stopping him from getting in that endzone. The 90's were the heyday, and I look forward to getting back there again.

I was there. Wet, furious, despondent, mad at the world , depressed.

Dad and brother declared it was time to go. I told them I was going to stand and watch in the tunnel while they went to the bathroom.
They walked out and I said "omgtheyfumbledandwegottheballback..arhehebshtbtaaa"

They said "what?" And I grabbed them both and dragged them back in. They had a look of disbelief.

Then, we had an up close view to a clinic on run blocking. To this day I've never seen such holes on running plays.
That o line completely took over that drive.

I was there. That fumble was down on my side of the field. I actually missed it because I was stowing my binoculars in their case as I was preparing for the "walk of shame" after losing the game. My buddy with me saw the whole thing. What happened after that was MAGIC. The stuff legends are made of. No "walk of shame" that day.

I was there with my wife. She was mad because I paid $50 per ticket 3 hours before kickoff. When we were walking to the stadium tickets were $10 because of the weather. She stoped complaining when she found out our tickets were in the dry. I acted like I knew it the whole time but to be honest I had no clue.

I was there...

That aeason we had 4 seats in yy somerhing...maybe 8.was there for the UF and Arky game.

Peraonally haven't seen/heard anything close to those two games. I missed several during the ensuing years so maybe there were other games that are comparable but i dont know which it would be

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back