Welcome Jewel Spear B🍊🍊M

Sure hope that Kelly actually delivers on her promise to Spear and lets her take her shot. Need to not handcuff the guards that create for themselves. It’s time to enter the 2000s and let these women shoot, and it’s time to create shots for them. Dont recall the last time I’ve seen the LVs screen for a pull up 3. Just not what they do I guess. Not every 3 need be a kick out to a shooter. Give some license and I bet the makes start to go up.
Did you ever watch Kellie's Missouri State Team? They did two things. Got the ball to the post and screened for 3 pointers for Glitzen who was a great three point shooter. That is how she got that mid-major team to a sweet 16. Rae Burrell had a license to shoot the 3, but unfortunately was hurt early in her senior season and didn't get to show us all she could do. If Kellie has people that can shoot the 3 consistently, she isn't going to not let them shoot the 3.

37% from three gives you 11 pts for every ten shots

That is equivalent to 55% from the two pt. zone.

The big difference between Tess and Jewell (at least based on last season) is that Jewell can get open more readily.

Just goes to show you numbers can say/prove most anything you want. BUT to me if you throw up 10 three point tries and make 4 of the ten, that is 12 points. Now is you can rebound and put back - - well, that's another story for math experts.

Which is 40% which is excellent from the 3 point like. I fail to see your point here.
It's like baseball where hitting .300 is outstanding and .400 unheard of. The harder the athletic task, like hitting a 100 mph baseball or hitting a 20+ ft shot in a game, the lower the success rate.

It does feel weird to celebrate a stat where there's more failure than success tho.

How do you get that total out of a 36.7 percent lifetime three point shooter. What you get is 110 points on 100 shot attempts for a 1.1 points per attempt from the three point line. That is way above average for threes. What you really need to know however is that in her career thus far she has scored 1385 points on 1144 filed goal attempts for a 1.21 points scored for every shot attempted. That is in the elite category for a two guard. That is why she got an invite to try out for the USA team next week.

I understand your way of looking at it, but to me it says if she puts up 10 3's in a game and misses 6-7 of them she makes 12 +/- points on the shots she makes.

It's like baseball where hitting .300 is outstanding and .400 unheard of. The harder the athletic task, like hitting a 100 mph baseball or hitting a 20+ ft shot in a game, the lower the success rate.

It does feel weird to celebrate a stat where there's more failure than success tho.

It’s all relative

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just goes to show you numbers can say/prove most anything you want. BUT to me if you throw up 10 three point tries and make 4 of the ten, that is 12 points. Now is you can rebound and put back - - well, that's another story for math experts.

We are not talking about some arcane, inscrutable stat. You are working really hard to deny the obvious. Yeah, if you "throw up 10" threes and make 4 that indeed is 12 actual points. Now, if you "throw up 10 2 pointers" and make 5 that is only 10 points.

Everything you say depends on the idea that there is something wrong with "throwing up three pointers".

Reactions: 37620VOL
been watching some of her highlights. i had no clue just HOW SKILLED spear is. most importantly, she is FEARLESS. wells is also FEARLESS. Ace is known to also be super aggressive. i see what the coaches mean when they tweet about recruiting the right mindset. they are certainly focusing on a player's mental makeup when they add pieces to the team. for the record, we currently have a ton of fearless players on the roster. in years past, the LVs often looked scared to shoot the ball. i don't see that being a problem moving forward.

been watching some of her highlights. i had no clue just HOW SKILLED spear is. most importantly, she is FEARLESS. wells is also FEARLESS. Ace is known to also be super aggressive. i see what the coaches mean when they tweet about recruiting the right mindset. they are certainly focusing on a player's mental makeup when they add pieces to the team. for the record, we currently have a ton of fearless players on the roster. in years past, the LVs often looked scared to shoot the ball. i don't see that being a problem moving forward.
3 players hit as many threes than our 16 combined last year!! FEARLESS!!!

We are not talking about some arcane, inscrutable stat. You are working really hard to deny the obvious. Yeah, if you "throw up 10" threes and make 4 that indeed is 12 actual points. Now, if you "throw up 10 2 pointers" and make 5 that is only 10 points.

Everything you say depends on the idea that there is something wrong with "throwing up three pointers".

I'm about to throw up from all these flashbacks to Statistics & Probabilities.

There is nothing wrong with putting up 3 pointers. All I am saying is the "number" of shots she puts up from the three area is around 12 points per game. To me that says she is about the same as most who shoot several threes per game. Whether this is a good situation for us really depends on our being able to put back the misses.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There is nothing wrong with putting up 3 pointers. All I am saying is the "number" of shots she puts up from the three area is around 12 points per game. To me that says she is about the same as most who shoot several threes per game. Whether this is a good situation for us really depends on our being able to put back the misses.
She makes them at a higher rate than most players do, so it's worth it to let her take 3pt shots. 37% is significant because it means she averages 1.1 points for every three attempted. Meaning, she will add to the score on each attempt. 12 out of 30 possible points on 10 shots is a really good number.

I think the missing piece is here that the 37% was when she was the main person that the defense had to stop, which will not be the case here. That can only help even raise the percentage even more. I am hesitant to say this because I have always adored Horston, but I do believe that Spear and/or Wells may be a major upgrade in their ability to bring sustained mental focus and toughness to the LVs. I think Jordy was really erratic in this area though improved. Both of these incoming players seem to have that sustained mental focus that has been lacking from our team leaders recently. They don't seem to get too much inside their heads when things go poorly. That will be especially important against our best opponents!!

Another benefit to shooting the 3 is that allowing for the extra drop in percentage because of the increased point value creates more chances to get an offensive rebound. Now, provided the offense isn’t stagnant and all 5 defenders are able to stand and check their players, 3s create long rebounds. Long rebounds should be more of a tossup for who gets the board and also give the offense an increased chance at tracking down the board.

Again, players who tend to shoot a lot of 3s tend to hit them at reasonably high %. That is why Tess took more threes than say Hollingshead. The LVs offensive big lack this season was having more players who could spread the floor with their outside shooting threat.

Honestly, I don't understand your argument -- oh, no the LVs have added another good three point shooter!!! Again if she gets up to 40% which is very possible next season that is equivlent to shooting 60% from the 2 points zones: 4 X 3 = 12 pts (the equivalent of 6 2-pointers). We are talking simple math here.

Again, players who tend to shoot a lot of 3s tend to hit them at reasonably high %. That is why Tess took more threes than say Hollingshead. The LVs offensive big lack this season was having more players who could spread the floor with their outside shooting threat.

Honestly, I don't understand your argument -- oh, no the LVs have added another good three point shooter!!! Again if she gets up to 40% which is very possible next season that is equivlent to shooting 60% from the 2 points zones: 4 X 3 = 12 pts (the equivalent of 6 2-pointers). We are talking simple math here.

Yes, someone either skipped arithmetic class a lot or just doesn't want to accept that the Lady Vols got an awesome player.

I watched a couple of Wake Forrest games and the girl can play. She’s a big upgrade. Really good shooter who can generate her shots and good at seeing the action on the floor developing.

She makes them at a higher rate than most players do, so it's worth it to let her take 3pt shots. 37% is significant because it means she averages 1.1 points for every three attempted. Meaning, she will add to the score on each attempt. 12 out of 30 possible points on 10 shots is a really good number.

Not only are most on here Vol fans, but seem to be mathematicians!!

VN Store

Back