We played decent for 1 quarter and that makes me feel

One blown coverage by Georgia keeps us happy?

The O looked energized, and they played much better. But seriously by the second quarter on neither D or O looked very good.

True frosh in his first start threw for over 200yds in the 1st half against an elite D. Not a bad start. Hopefully it gets better. Maurer had no answer in 2nd half and we have no run game to help him out

I wasn't expecting a victory tonight. They're the #3 team in the country for a reason. I only expected fight and passion from the players, and I mostly got that. I'm not too upset. The final score doesn't reflect how hard we fought. If we play that hard for the rest of the season, we'll win a few.

True frosh in his first start threw for over 200yds in the 1st half against an elite D. Not a bad start. Hopefully it gets better. Maurer had no answer in 2nd half and we have no run game to help him out

Totally agree.....but I’m not sure if that was “improvement.” I saw fire, I saw motivation, but for me I didn’t see much if any improvement.

Hopefully it will lead to improvement. The coaches could have helped the kid out by running the ball more.

But we went dead in the 2nd half. Start fast then stop. Confusing.

You have to give GA credit for making adjustments at the half. It's tiresome making excuses about our lack of talent and whatnot but facts are facts. We played hard we were just outclassed.

We’re thin as hell on a lot of key positions on defense. I saw progress tonight. Idk what the hell people were thinking? Did they think we would actually win versus Georgia tonight?

I was looking for improvement going into this game particularly from the QB position and I saw it. I think we have a chance in every remaining game except versus Bama.

Totally agree.....but I’m not sure if that was “improvement.” I saw fire, I saw motivation, but for me I didn’t see much if any improvement.

Hopefully it will lead to improvement. The coaches could have helped the kid out by running the ball more.

Fewer turnovers. QB was improved. OL did well against a very talented defense. Team played hard and with emotion.

We need continued improvement. Need a pass rush to help the secondary out. And I agree 100%, we need to find a running game to help our young QB out. That really showed in the 2nd half.

Fewer turnovers. QB was improved. OL did well against a very talented defense. Team played hard and with emotion.

We need continued improvement. Need a pass rush to help the secondary out. And I agree 100%, we need to find a running game to help our young QB out. That really showed in the 2nd half.

Fewer turnovers is an improvement

I thought the pass protection was good through much of the game......I’ve been saying for a few weeks now they have been improving.

A new QB will help the team; however for me not sure there was much if any improvement in this one game........but was facing a great team.

As I have stated this should help the Vols in later weeks......as the team looks like they want to play for him.

But we went dead in the 2nd half. Start fast then stop. Confusing.

I felt like we got worn down in the 2nd half. Which is not that surprising given how deep Georgia is on both lines; that's why I never thought we had a chance in this game. We played better when well rested, but our front 7 on D is very thin (DL was already thin; now LB corp is thin after losing 3 LBs in a single week). And the OL started making more mistakes in the 2nd half, as well.

Pruitt's success is going to be depenedent upon continuing to recruit well. If we can continue getting good players, we should have more depth by Year 4 and Year 5. The young starters are playing well; they just need more help behind them.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Fewer turnovers is an improvement

I thought the pass protection was good through much of the game......I’ve been saying for a few weeks now they have been improving.

A new QB will help the team; however for me not sure there was much if any improvement in this one game........but was facing a great team.

As I have stated this should help the Vols in later weeks......as the team looks like they want to play for him.

He had 205yds in the first half against a stout defense. I thought he played well for his first career start against an elite defense.

Overall, the end result isn't what any of us wanted but there were some things from the game to build on. Hopefully we can and find some W's.

Reactions: JoAllan
I felt like we got worn down in the 2nd half. Which is not that surprising given how deep Georgia is on both lines; that's why I never thought we had a chance in this game. We played better when well rested, but our front 7 on D is very thin (DL was already thin; now LB corp is thin after losing 3 LBs in a single week). And the OL started making more mistakes in the 2nd half, as well.

Pruitt's success is going to be depenedent upon continuing to recruit well. If we can continue getting good players, we should have more depth by Year 4 and Year 5. The young starters are playing well; they just need more help behind them.

Agree. This was our big weekend, we needed to show-up and we kept the score close enough to keep it a game into the 4th qtr. That gives them some visual progress to sell. Find a few W's on the back half of the schedule and they can sell some results. Really need to find some W's.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
He had 205yds in the first half against a stout defense. I thought he played well for his first career start against an elite defense.

Overall, the end result isn't what any of us wanted but there were some things from the game to build on. Hopefully we can and find some W's.

He did play well given who he played against.

And just as I have said many times (since we have now seen it) the QB change should certainly help Tennessee to improve.

Reactions: Volank
He did play well given who he played against.

And just as I have said many times (since we have now seen it) the QB change should certainly help Tennessee to improve.

But it is not certain we have a qb change, Pruitt has to watch game film and practice to determine who starts. He has to watch game film to see if Maurer did enough to be named the starter.

We’re thin as hell on a lot of key positions on defense. I saw progress tonight. Idk what the hell people were thinking? Did they think we would actually win versus Georgia tonight?

I was looking for improvement going into this game particularly from the QB position and I saw it. I think we have a chance in every remaining game except versus Bama.

I agree if Maurer is named the starter, which has not been done yet. If jg starts maybe 1 win

What annoys me is alot of Vol fans talkin about how proud they are of the team tonight.

We got blown out by a big rival in our own stadium. Nothing to celebrate.

Reactions: Thorp32 and JohnD13
My opinion?

Georgia had 37 guys play 25 snaps or more against Notre Dame. We lost 3 linebackers in the past two weeks.

Defensively, we didnt have depth to keep up.

Their offensive line is seriously the best in the country. Once Solomon went down, we had no one who could get any push.

Maurer had a fantastic game. Definitely cant blame him for that fumble, that was a ridiculous hit. However for a guy who was playing in high school a year ago to come out against the #3 team in the country and play with the gonads and toughness he did? My hat is off to him. The team respects him, and I would like to see us ride with him the rest of the season.

Defensively, I think the main issue is depth. But I think secondly, is we just dont have players with the Football IQ needed to be successful in JPs defense. Some obviously are. Henry T is gonna be a first rounder. But we heard from before he even signed how incredibly smart he was. I'm just not sure that our guys "get" the scheme. And I think Pruitt is trying to recruit guys who can get it. It is disappointing to see us not lined up right though.

Overall, I dont feel embarrassed. Yes, second half was worse. But I felt like that was what I expected with a team as deep as they are. You just cant expect to keep up. You cant send your WRs running 20-40 yard sprints for 60 snaps and expect them not to be tired.

We are going to get there. I feel encouraged. Georgia has a good team. A great team. They didn't make many mistakes.

But I feel like we found some things we can build on.

On to Mississippi State now.
well put

Good-ish

I like pruitts recruits, I like Mauer, and I guess we are 3 years from being an impressive football team.
One quarter? We were leading the #3 team in the country with 1:59 left in the first half. It was still a 2 possession game when we stopped them on 4th and 1 and got the ball back with 1:27 left in the 3rd quarter.

The final score is ugly, but we played a helluva lot more than 1 “decent” quarter against one of the top 2-3 teams in the country.

I’d say we’re closer to being 1 1/2 to 2 years away if we continue to improve and play like we did tonight vs Georgia. I think we can win 4 or 5 of our remaining games if we play like we did for 3 quarters vs UGA.

VN Store

Back