We need UT football back in the worst way

i hate to even post in this thread, total bait thread........plenty of folks casting lines....lol

but........everything's relative....some of you just have never gottent that, or just don't understand what it means.

but basically for the last 5 years we've all bemoaned the overall pitifulness of our entire athletic department at one time or another. you see those director cup standings and we're average to below average for much of that time span.

but you take a look at what's happened in 2018, and more specifically what could happen in 2019, and i think if you would just step back, you might actually be impressed with where the whole atheltics program is headed....even if there's no "real" hardware to show yet.

you got a top 10 softball program
you got a top 25 baseball program
you got a womens bball program in the NCAA tournament (i'm not saying things are fine here obviously...just stating the result...don't read more in to it than that)
you got a mens' bball program that's a top 10 program nationally that won a regular season title and played for 2 conf tourney titles (other than winning every championship available, does it get more "relevant nationally" than what our mens bball team has done the past two years?), and made a sweet 16.
you got a mens golf team that's doing really well....forget any/all accolades they received, but they were quite the buzz last fall....
you got a top 20 women's volleyball program
you got a top 10 swimming program
you got a top 15 Mens' Tennis program
you got a football program that just signed a top 12 class and could get back finally going to the post season again this year...

i mean, i'm not going to tell you that we're world beaters at everything, or that we should all exhale and think we've arrived, but if we do win 7 or 8 games, go to and win a bowl game.....it's gonna be kinda difficuult to find a year/18 months in the last 10 years that's going to put up that much "winning" for UT athletics.

carry on.

We are on the right track! Hired aformer coach with two losing seasons in his last four years with no experience as our AD. This after we paid him millions to leave. Seriously, what over-all direction do you honestly see our program going?

Reactions: TNnative
We are on the right track! Hired aformer coach with two losing seasons in his last four years with no experience as our AD. This after we paid him millions to leave. Seriously, what over-all direction do you honestly see our program going?
my memory is fuzzy...is that the only 4 years he coached here?

Reactions: Gandalf
I will believe it when I see it. A few years ago, I was hopeful for football and didn't give a diddly squat about basketball, especially after they fired Bruce. After more than ten years of football being mostly a joke with a bad punchline, and Barnes building the basketball team into a source of pride, I prefer basketball now. And until the targeting penalty goes away, I won't really watch college football much anymore. Do I miss it? Sure, but that nonsense has turned it into a clown show to me.
as a young boy I remember my mom working at this place... but a young kid now means ,,, (avatore)..spelling = FU

The big challenge is that apathy has set in for a fairly large swath of the fan base. Attendance numbers are down. Expectations are in the cellar. I have become fairly numb to our losing - hell, I generally expect a loss now - or at least a lackluster performance (hate to admit it) - almost every time our guys are on the field.

Been a VOL since I was a youngster (born in 1975), so I have seen the highs and now the really bad lows. It’s going to take more than a good win or two to break thru the negative expectations. Thinking that a win or Vandy or UK is a big deal won’t cut it.

Yes, we need REAL Tennessee football back. So far, we haven’t seen anything remotely close. Butch Hones, Derek Dooley, Mike Hamilton, Dave Hart, and John Currie did immeasurable damage. I wouldn’t pee on any of them if they were on fire - figuratively speaking, of course.

So, if you actually happen to be present with them and one or all of them suddenly experiences spontaneous combustion, you will pee on them? Thoughtful of you!

So, if you actually happen to be present with them and one or all of them suddenly experiences spontaneous combustion, you will pee on them? Thoughtful of you!

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Oh well.

VN Store

Back