We need to not do with Pruitt what we did with Butch—get rid of him now—set up Petersen or Hugh Freeze and pull the trigger with the cupboards full

I think this program is in dire straights but do not support a coaching change at this time until we change the person making the hire. Why would we want to repeat the same mistake? Fulmer has a history of bad hires and Pruitt does not appear to be an exception.

Reactions: 08Vol
I agree with a lot of this op. I was surprised Jg started Pruitts first year, angry he started his second year, and flat out depressed he started this year. This is really because it shows how out of touch (and incapable) pruitt is as a coach. No legit coach would just keep frosting jg out there. He didn’t even say we’re having an open competition and kept the media/fan base updated with regard to the competition. He just said he’s our guy. Just a ridiculous lack of understanding.
The problem with your thread is the premise that fulmer would ever concede that Pruitt isn’t going to work out. We’d literally have to go 2-10 for the next 3 straight seasons and have our recruiting classes fall out of the top 25 for us to make a move on him. Fulmer recognizes that this will likely be the only hire he gets to make and he’ll hitch his wagon to Pruitt like noting you e ever seen. We might as well hope pruitt gets it figured out enough for us to be mediocre

Reactions: 08Vol
I'd rather get another top 10-15 recruiting class before nixing Pruitt. He's a great recruiter (outside of the QB position, apparently). Let's get 3-4 Pruitt classes first, and then replace him if need be. We don't exactly have a great roster for a new coach at the moment. But with this year's recruiting class, and perhaps one more under Pruitt, we should have a team full of studs - regardless of who ends up coaching them.

A top 10 recruiting class with this staff equates to not being ranked. The number one class four years in a row MIGHT mean a top 10 finish.

Pruitt needs 5 years to replace Butch Jones' damage with his own. Its only fair.

Someone just convince Pruitt he needs to throw a BBQ.......that ought to do it.

Pruitt just got an extension. You can't pay for another coach to not work for UT when you are still paying Butch Jones. Wait, is UT still paying Butch or has that buyout ended yet?

OP is straight up correct. Pruitt is about to take this thing straight back into the toilet. He now has too much of a track record to recruit on the rebuild and nobody worth a crap is going to join this staff.

Reactions: Daddy Gee
Guys, you can talk about new coaches all you want but we are broke. Paying off all of our old coaching mistakes and decreased attendance due to our decade of discontent has emptied the coffers. We were very close to massive layoffs if we did not get our ESPN TV money this season. Unless the Haslam’s come through with some big money, which we have seen how that goes in the past. We are screwed.

Guys, you can talk about new coaches all you want but we are broke. Paying off all of our old coaching mistakes and decreased attendance due to our decade of discontent has emptied the coffers. We were very close to massive layoffs if we did not get our ESPN TV money this season. Unless the Haslam’s come through with some big money, which we have seen how that goes in the past. We are screwed.
We don’t need to fire the coaching staff.... we need to be patient.

Pruitt just got an extension. You can't pay for another coach to not work for UT when you are still paying Butch Jones. Wait, is UT still paying Butch or has that buyout ended yet?
Ends in February.

This is absurd. Have we so quickly forgotten how we looked under CBJ’s last year?? I’m talking about size, talent, skill, etc - we had none. Pruitt inherited a dumpster fire. Let’s take a look at FSU as the poster child of what rotating coaches in and out looks like. How about Texas? Top 5 most talented team in the country and cannot win consistently with a guy that was coveted by quiet a few people. Pruitt is also learning how to be a head coach.
If he keeps rolling with JG, however, he will lose even me. Being that stubborn is a sign of pride, not good coaching, and that is the downfall of every leader.

It’s shocking to see fans think this way. Do you think TN is just some mid major program? Money isn’t and never will be an issue.

Fahr errbody......
the program has had 4 different coaches in the last 11 years...
it’s hard to beat anybody giving up 4 turnovers in the first half with two pick sixes...
Make some staff changes before starting from scratch again

Reactions: TC 83
I said when the extension was announced that it was for a reason. They did this with Majors. He got extensions before the season and usually the season was a bust. 5-5 is the new ceiling. 4-8 or 3-7 more likely. You can’t score and if you can’t score, you can’t beat Fla, Bama or AM. May not beat Auburn or Ark either.

Nobody is going anywhere due to COVID.

Everybody is broke.

Name your "hot seat" coaches out there and I will place money that they are in their job next season.

And if COVID gets worse coaches may not get paid like they are now. Its a new world.

OP, Butch needed time to clean up Dooley's mess.....Pruitt needs time to clean up Butch's mess......the next guy will need time to clean up Pruitt's mess.

At some point, you just have to accept UT is UT. Sadly, I don't see it changing. I will watch and cheer them on but any expectation over 8-4 in the regular season will be considered a "great year" which is sad. But that's where we are. We've witnessed nearly 2 decades of this mess.

VN Store

Back