We Lost Because

We lost because it is advantageous to let Georgia win round one.

We'll see them again at SoFi Stadium with a 50/50 crowd.

All part of the master plan!!!!!!

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

The moment was too big for this team right now. Still have some growing to do as a program. Not disappointed in the season so far . . . I certainly didn’t expect us to be much better than 7 or 8 wins TOTAL coming in to this season. However, that was a disappointing performance against UGA. Talent gap aside, our guys let it get to them. How many self-inflicted wounds did we incur at the WORST times to stall promising drives - 8 pre-snap penalties? And, of course, at least two overthrows that were possibly TDs.

It happens. Still feeling good about where we’re headed with Coach Heupel.

And my hatred of Georgia remains above all other opponents.

Georgia had a LOT more 4 and 5 star recruits than we did.

We got swarmed by their talent

Any and all coaches need talent.

Once we recruit better Heupel will be fine.

We lost because any team that can cover us man to man defeats our offense.

I was under the impression our WRs had superior speed to GA and could get open.

Apparently GA has superior athletes...maybe they are the only team that can do it.

Apparently GA has superior athletes...maybe they are the only team that can do it.

I totally agree with you. However, Hyatt has superior speed to the GA defensive backs. Georgia was giving Hyatt an eight-yard cushion.

Reactions: mpfvol and Vanhalo
We lost because we were out schemed and it was back to the Butch days of anytime it is 3rd and long all they have to do is throw it. It'll work every time. It's a big mistake for any team to ever call a run play against UT.

Reactions: mpfvol
Yall think the game would of had the same outcome if it was played at Neyland?

Yall think the game would of had the same outcome if it was played at Neyland?

Probably. I think they would beat us four out of five times.

But, with the breaks and bounces going our way, we win the special teams, make Stetson have to beat you in the fourth quarter...theeeeeeeeeeennnn, we can get them at the end in SoFi Stadium.

For now..........BEAT Missouri.

Just about every team has that dud game. Yesterday was UT's turn.. Maybe the moment was too big. Certainly looked tight and flat. On the other hand , I've watched UGA a couple times this year, other than Oregon that was the best they have played.
I agree.. they were flat and didn’t look like the team they had been up until now…don’t know what was up, but they’ll get back on track

Reactions: Jax_Vol

I agree with that statement. We have 5-6 guys rotating who will, at various levels, play in NFL.

McConkey will need to buy a ticket to attend a NFL game.

Just posted this in another thread, but I'd like to hear any thoughts:

Not sure if anyone else felt this at the time, but I was kind of surprised when Josh took the three points after the first turnover. Not saying he made the wrong call in taking the points, but it was a bit inconsistent given his approach to those situations all season, and might have sent a message to the team that this was a different kind of opponent and they have to take points where they can get them.

Not exactly a huge show of confidence in an offense that had been a machine up to that point. I might have preferred that he set the tone early that 'this is how we play' by going for it in that spot. The Vols played tight all day, and seeing Josh going balls to the wall might have loosened the team up. Or not.

Just posted this in another thread, but I'd like to hear any thoughts:

Not sure if anyone else felt this at the time, but I was kind of surprised when Josh took the three points after the first turnover. Not saying he made the wrong call in taking the points, but it was a bit inconsistent given his approach to those situations all season, and might have sent a message to the team that this was a different kind of opponent and they have to take points where they can get them.

Not exactly a huge show of confidence in an offense that had been a machine up to that point. I might have preferred that he set the tone early that 'this is how we play' by going for it in that spot. The Vols played tight all day, and seeing Josh going balls to the wall might have loosened the team up. Or not.

He just toyed around with them to set up the meaningful game

I agree with that statement. We have 5-6 guys rotating who will, at various levels, play in NFL.

McConkey will need to buy a ticket to attend a NFL game.
He will be in the nfl the raiders as of last year were reported to already been talking and scouting him. He is a local
Kid so I hope he does make it. He is likely a hunter renfro or wes welker type player. For 3 years now the Georgia coaches have said he is the most technical and best route runner they have.

I think constructive criticism is a good thing. We just need to remember, we are couch potatoes judging great athletes. We went up against a much better team and a crowd that caused 8pre snap penalties. That‘s how Alabama felt in Knoxville. My biggest takeaway was Georgia tackles better than any team in the country. I watch teams all day every Saturday, and tackling is a lost art. I attribute that to a lack of contact in practice due to rules for practice and dodging injuries. Just one couch potatoes opinion, lol.

That was a huge factor in this game. Much of UT's offense relies on YAC, especially the slants and bubble screens, and there were no big gains on those plays because Georgia tackles better than any team in the country. They didn't miss a tackle all day, and combined with all the penalties we were constantly behind the chains and facing 3rd and longs. That's a recipe for disaster, especially for a quick strike offense like ours.

Reactions: Raebo
That’s definitely a part of why we lost. But they were also just more ready to play. Uga often shifts around their dline. Not sure why we kept jumping every time we did that. That’s something I’d think our coaches would’ve had us prepared for. And we had a handful of false start penalties aside from the shifts.

Also, uga was dropping a bunch of defenders deep and hoping we’d take the underneath stuff. Kinda “keep the offense in front of you” approach and that’s exactly what we did. We were forced into a dunk and dunk approach all night and that’s just not what our offense is built to do. IMO we needed to keep try to do what we do and not let the completely dictate what we ran. We needed to throw the ball down the field more. Over and over again we’d throw short of the sticks on 3rd down.

Again…our guys just weren’t ready for this type of game. It was really the first time this year I felt like we were soundly out schemed/out coached. I hope we make it in the playoffs. And I hope we get another shot at them on a neutral field.

He will be in the nfl the raiders as of last year were reported to already been talking and scouting him. He is a local
Kid so I hope he does make it. He is likely a hunter renfro or wes welker type player. For 3 years now the Georgia coaches have said he is the most technical and best route runner they have.

The Raiders? That confirms things..

The Las Vegas Raiders displayed their worst offensive performance since 2015 - Sports Illustrated Las Vegas Raiders News, Analysis and More

Basically 4 plays, they beat us soundly at their home. Vol Nation and our beloved team has awaken!!! GO VOLS!!!!!!

Hype coaching them up and we all see it. The studs will come,if not 4* will be our greatest asset. Heck cowboy Bennet is a walk on. Bench warmer for any other team. Looked like Joe Montana, love the college qb.
Look at Bo Nix glad he is showing off at this level. Talent will come for UT and Hype for sure

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
The deeper pocket can give you more time BUT it means your tackles have to be able to out quick the other teams ends/LBs - clearly that would not have happened against Georgia (or Alabama). A deeper pocket requires the OL to protect a wider area - there is more space between the offensive linemen as they form the pocket. That means that the speed rushers getting around your tackles isn't the only issue you have - you also have larger gaps on the inside which quick, NFL caliber DTs or blitzing LBs can use to get the QB quickly.

Our shallow pocket scheme has worked well against everyone except Georgia and their defensive front is just a freak show in terms of talent. We need an OL with 5 Darnell Wrights to be able to hold off that Georgia front.
People on this site seem to continually forget that the scheme they have been criticizing after this game is the very same scheme that had us as the number 1 ranked offense in the country. It didn't suddenly become suspect because Georgia had an answer.

Hooker missed a couple of TDs. The WRs did get open. Not as often as usual but they did. We didn’t lose because of their secondary. We lost because their team as a whole is just better.

VN Store

Back