We Lost Because

basically agreed. The score does not reflect the extent of our loss. We caught lightening in a bottle and went from a bottom dwelling team to challenging for a national title in less than 2 years. Don't criticize Hendon. He just showed he was human in the face of a withering Georgia defense. The real test will be the next 3 games. Will Tennessee pack it in and go down in the mouth like the past or will we win these final games. I'm different in that I don't care about rankings or CFB positions. I just want us to win the next game. I'm so proud of the 2022 team and give it up to the job Heupel and company have done!

Georgia’s game plan was great and perfectly executed. Come out quick strike offense, get up early and put the pressure on UT. From there, win the defense and run game.

It never really felt the game was out of reach though with our offense. 27-13 with an opportunity to make it a one score game there at the end, just couldn’t capitalize in the red zone.

Georgia (Bama) had a LOT more 4 and 5 star recruits than we did.

We got swarmed by their talent

Any and all coaches need talent.

Once we recruit better Heupel will be fine.

The reasons for the loss are multifaceted. Talent certainly is a huge part, but it doesn’t excuse how unprepared this team was to play on the road. Sure, UT could have played its best game and still lost. Still, the Bama game kind of undermines this theory.

Who played with more focus? UGA
Who had a better game plan? UGA
Who made better adjustments? UGA

Did Heupel use a timeout once in the game to get his QB out of a bad play and make an in game adjustment? Go back and watch. I don’t think UT called a timeout in the entire 2nd half.

The beating was much worse than the final score would indicate.

basically agreed. The score does not reflect the extent of our loss. We caught lightening in a bottle and went from a bottom dwelling team to challenging for a national title in less than 2 years. Don't criticize Hendon. He just showed he was human in the face of a withering Georgia defense. The real test will be the next 3 games. Will Tennessee pack it in and go down in the mouth like the past or will we win these final games. I'm different in that I don't care about rankings or CFB positions. I just want us to win the next game. I'm so proud of the 2022 team and give it up to the job Heupel and company have done!

I think constructive criticism is a good thing. We just need to remember, we are couch potatoes judging great athletes. We went up against a much better team and a crowd that caused 8pre snap penalties. That‘s how Alabama felt in Knoxville. My biggest takeaway was Georgia tackles better than any team in the country. I watch teams all day every Saturday, and tackling is a lost art. I attribute that to a lack of contact in practice due to rules for practice and dodging injuries. Just one couch potatoes opinion, lol.

Remember what Saban said about his team before taking the field at Neyland? He said they weren't doing their normal chant. They were caught up in the moment (my words). I think that's what happened to our guys. Well, aside from Georgia having superior talent operating at superior levels in all three phases of the game. They stepped inside our time. Nothing we could do.

Lest we forget (or not even know) -

Stetson Bennett was a former walk-on
McConkey, their leading receiver, was a 2 *

Wasn't just a talent thing. We weren't prepared for the crowd noise, we did not adjust efficiently, Hooker had a bad day (holding on to ball too long, etc)

Just about every team has that dud game. Yesterday was UT's turn.. Maybe the moment was too big. Certainly looked tight and flat. On the other hand , I've watched UGA a couple times this year, other than Oregon that was the best they have played.

I think constructive criticism is a good thing. We just need to remember, we are couch potatoes judging great athletes. We went up against a much better team and a crowd that caused 8pre snap penalties. That‘s how Alabama felt in Knoxville. My biggest takeaway was Georgia tackles better than any team in the country. I watch teams all day every Saturday, and tackling is a lost art. I attribute that to a lack of contact in practice due to rules for practice and dodging injuries. Just one couch potatoes opinion, lol.
You're right about tackling. Maybe a team with three deep talent can risk tough tackling drills.

Reactions: midnight orange
The beating indeed was much worse and it looked like Georgia could name their score if they wanted to. They just ran clock and sealed the deal and basically toyed with the Vols in the second half. The eye test of what was a huge buildup to a competitive matchup of 2 heavyweights never occurred and will leave the Vols dropping farther down the the playoff rankings. However, this is a superb team and coaching staff so if they regroup - a super season is at hand. I think too many other teams - Pac 12, TCU etc. are in the mix that the committee will view the Vols as a feel-good story that wilted in prime time unless they steamroll Mizzou and South Carolina and regain the spotlight. Anything can happen and Bama and Clemson losing - two perennial playoff contenders definitely shakes things up.

Georgia is simply the better team. We might fair a bit better on a neutral field but they have the talent to play tight press man to man coverage so we’re not gonna get those blown assignment plays like we did against teams playing zone. Couple that with one of the best defensive fronts and a linebacker group that is quick, athletic and extremely good at tackling and you just don’t have any easy yards. I’m sure someone tracks yards after contact and I bet it was a very low number yesterday - not because we suck or had an off day but because Georgia is just that good. They have a significant talent advantage over just about everyone and I believe are the best coached defensive team in the nation. Will Muschamp was never a great head coach but he’s definitely a great defensive coordinator.

Hopefully we’ll bounce back and be ready to play the early game this Saturday- don’t want to lose to the same team two weeks in a row.

Georgia’s D manhandled the O, especially up front.

They have superior talent and it showed when their offense was on the field too.

We will be in a much better position to compete after the next couple recruiting classes.

Reactions: TNgradmom
They played tight. It’s basically a national title game in year 2. That’s a new level of expectations on the road in November. We haven’t seen this opportunity in a long time. They acted calm and said the right things but they weren’t. Everyone could see we never played our game. They have to learn and get ready for another shot because it is coming soon.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
That was a hard game to watch. In another post earlier in the week, I said one thing that could take some pressure off Hooker was some roll outs. Never saw a single one. Hooker didn't play like he is capable of, no question. Another thing that stood out to me was that when he was under pressure, running for his life, he never threw the ball away. Taking a sack is far worse, it creates more yardage to gain on the next down, whereas throw the ball away, you start the next play at the same line of scrimmage as the previous play.

So back to my first statement; does Heupel's offense have any roll outs in it? I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: OldVolMan
We lost because we were playing a better, more experienced team from top to bottom. I know it is a worn statement but, "Rome was not built in a day" Neither was this Ga. program. Another worn statement - "We need more time" . Both are true..... Let's not falter as fans, keep enjoying a fun team to watch.

Lest we forget (or not even know) -

Stetson Bennett was a former walk-on
McConkey, their leading receiver, was a 2 *

Wasn't just a talent thing. We weren't prepared for the crowd noise, we did not adjust efficiently, Hooker had a bad day (holding on to ball too long, etc)
McConkey wanted to be here but was basically snubbed . He was undervalued and then disregard by Ut so that’s what you see yesterday just a bit more motivation to win.

Reactions: orangemadam
The beating indeed was much worse and it looked like Georgia could name their score if they wanted to. They just ran clock and sealed the deal and basically toyed with the Vols in the second half. The eye test of what was a huge buildup to a competitive matchup of 2 heavyweights never occurred and will leave the Vols dropping farther down the the playoff rankings. However, this is a superb team and coaching staff so if they regroup - a super season is at hand. I think too many other teams - Pac 12, TCU etc. are in the mix that the committee will view the Vols as a feel-good story that wilted in prime time unless they steamroll Mizzou and South Carolina and regain the spotlight. Anything can happen and Bama and Clemson losing - two perennial playoff contenders definitely shakes things up.

very true on all counts. We were beaten much worse than the score indicated.
This was not just a talent discrepancy. We just had a bad day on too many levels.

Reactions: CentalFlVOL4Life

VN Store

Back