We In!

I’m just so happy that the Tournament appearance streak is still intact. I was certain that would fall. Again, I expect us to do nothing in the Tournament, but hopefully we can make a leadership change and start fresh next year. It’s time.

Reactions: lvocd
I’m just so happy that the Tournament appearance streak is still intact. I was certain that would fall. Again, I expect us to do nothing in the Tournament, but hopefully we can make a leadership change and start fresh next year. It’s time.
Sadly for the program this means Holly Warlick is back for 2019-2020

That fact that they got in with this awful season IMO diminishes the value of the streak. It just shows that in any given year, they have a hard time finding 50 some teams worthy of an at large bid

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
No bracket's going to be a breeze for the LVs. They'll either take advantage of their opportunity or they won't. At least they're in. The NCAAT streak means something to former players, so I'm glad their legacy was preserved. They worked hard to keep it going.
Tennessee at this point will be a one and done in my opinion

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I haven't seen UCLA play, but in addition to Dean and Michaela, Kennedy Burke is a big scorer. She's been lighting it up from deep. They look like they have a lot of deep threats, and we know how well Tennessee defends the three.

If they do win, I agree that Maryland would plow through them. Not just Charles but their post game as well.

The committee threw Tennessee a bone by gifting them a bid, but did them no favors with the draw. That is brutal.

UCLA isn't that great from 3. Dean has been shooting it well and she has a funky shot. She just stops and shoots in transition and you don't expect it because she steps into her shot.

Burke shoots the 3, but only at 27% she was off most of the season and hit some shots in the PAC-12 tournament, but she's kinda all or nothing from outside. I think she leads UCLA in 3 pointers made all time though? Just not as big a part of her game this season for some reason. She went through a Meme Jackson esque slump earlier this season.

They had 9 3s against Oregon, but Oregon's defense looked about like ours in that game. They are a similar team to us in that they are either all or nothing from 3. They might have 10 one game and 0 the next, just going to depend on the night. I would say we have a SMALL advantage because of the time zone. Will be in eastern time zone like our players are used to. It will be a four hour difference for UCLA though, that can sometimes cause troubles for teams.

Biggest thing about UCLA is they score in transition. They don't do well in the half court, which is what Stanford made them do last time they played. If we can get back and get our defense set we have a chance. If Holly tries to press Onyenwere will shoot layups behind it all night. We never proved all season that we were capable of pressing without giving up open layups or open 3s.

Very evenly matched on paper. Just going to be who wants it more and who comes to play some D that day.

I actually thought this draw was better than it could have been.

That fact that they got in with this awful season IMO diminishes the value of the streak. It just shows that in any given year, they have a hard time finding 50 some teams worthy of an at large bid

Oddly enough I don't even think we are the most over rated team in the tournament. CAL as an 8 seed is laughable at 19-12, 9-9 in conference. They had a couple of quality wins, but I can't see how they are an 8 seed. My guess is they will be one a done in the tournament. Their coach is as bad as Holly, she's gotten some great talent, but never done a thing with it. They start ranked in the top 15 or so, run through their OOC schedule, then tank in PAC-12 play. Just like us this season.

UCLA isn't that great from 3. Dean has been shooting it well and she has a funky shot. She just stops and shoots in transition and you don't expect it because she steps into her shot.

Burke shoots the 3, but only at 27% she was off most of the season and hit some shots in the PAC-12 tournament, but she's kinda all or nothing from outside. I think she leads UCLA in 3 pointers made all time though? Just not as big a part of her game this season for some reason. She went through a Meme Jackson esque slump earlier this season.

They had 9 3s against Oregon, but Oregon's defense looked about like ours in that game. They are a similar team to us in that they are either all or nothing from 3. They might have 10 one game and 0 the next, just going to depend on the night. I would say we have a SMALL advantage because of the time zone. Will be in eastern time zone like our players are used to. It will be a four hour difference for UCLA though, that can sometimes cause troubles for teams.

Biggest thing about UCLA is they score in transition. They don't do well in the half court, which is what Stanford made them do last time they played. If we can get back and get our defense set we have a chance. If Holly tries to press Onyenwere will shoot layups behind it all night. We never proved all season that we were capable of pressing without giving up open layups or open 3s.

Very evenly matched on paper. Just going to be who wants it more and who comes to play some D that day.

I actually thought this draw was better than it could have been.
I think UCLA is a big favorite based on the way both teams finished. Tennessee just kind of sputtered to the finish line. And they can't pull the "disrespected" card because they really didn't do much to earn a bid. They were probably the last team in as a gift to Pat's legacy.

I don't think Onyenwere will have any problems guarding Cheridene. She projects as a Gabby Williams/Anriel Howard/Nina Davis type player. An undersized post with incredible hops who plays bigger than her size on offense and defense, and Cheridene isn't that big. I don't think Green will be able to keep up with her on the court, and the rest of their forwards have good enough height and athleticism not to let Tennessee pound them on the boards. I'm guessing a 12-15 point win that is decided midway through the third quarter in true Tennessee fashion this season.

Very possibly. It's a clean slate and they control their own destiny. UCLA will come to play. The LVs will either rise up to the challenge or they won't.
I think Tennessee has a 50% chance of winning as this game could possibly go either way

I think Tennessee has 50% chance of beating UCLA

I agree, I think that game is a coin toss. When you look at the two teams on paper they are very similar. If we play like we did our last time out and hand them the ball every other possession it wont be much of a game though.

UCLA started the season rough but finished strong. We started "hot" and then tanked as it went on. UCLA should have the momentum.

Holy hell, Tennessee-Connecticut in the Sweet 16. I can't even. It's going to happen. This is like when you lock eyes with those two nice Mormon folks across the parking lot and they make a beeline toward you with smiles on their faces. You look around for anything to head toward, but it's too late and now they're here and shaking your hand and asking if you have time to talk and you know you never had a chance.

It's absolutely going to happen. I can't even.

Holy hell, Tennessee-Connecticut in the Sweet 16. I can't even. It's going to happen. This is like when you lock eyes with those two nice Mormon folks across the parking lot and they make a beeline toward you with smiles on their faces. It's absolutely going to happen. I can't even.

We would have to win TWO whole games for that to happen. Unlikely given Holly's record.

We would have to win TWO whole games for that to happen. Unlikely given Holly's record.

Tennessee will win those two games. This was foretold in the stars ... um ... or something. I don't know. Or do I? No. But regardless of my lack of wisdom, this thing is happening. The worst season in modern Lady Vols history (so far) can have no other ending than the ending.

VN Store

Back