We got hosed by Ref Joe Lindsay

That's BS. I recorded the game and have watched the inbounds pass and counted to 6 every single time. Plus the referee didn't even move his arm to count to 5, he stood there like a statue. He wasn't even counting. We got hosed!
Also... I hadn't paid much attention to the ref's count. Just found a replay and he's clearly moving his arm to count.

Reactions: T-TownVol
Also... I hadn't paid much attention to the ref's count. Just found a replay and he's clearly moving his arm to count.
I stand corrected, he was moving his arm VERY Slowly, about 1 1/2 seconds per movement. Watch it again and no way his arm moves each second. He is deliberately slow

I stand corrected, he was moving his arm VERY Slowly, about 1 1/2 seconds per movement. Watch it again and no way his arm moves each second. He is deliberately slow

That’s a sign that he doesn’t want to call 5 seconds in a critical moment. Very ironic.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I actually don’t think the controversy would be nearly as loud if it was a no call. Edwards really didn’t even try to sell it with his arms. It wouldn’t have been discussed nearly as much.
This is what is most telling to me. Im not sure it would have been discussed at all

I actually don’t think the controversy would be nearly as loud if it was a no call. Edwards really didn’t even try to sell it with his arms. It wouldn’t have been discussed nearly as much.

I’ll take it a step further. If that goes uncalled, the controversy not only wouldn’t be as loud, it wouldn’t exist. That play goes uncalled 10 times a game. What little that play was talked about would be regarding how well Lamonte played D.

That's BS. I recorded the game and have watched the inbounds pass and counted to 6 every single time. Plus the referee didn't even move his arm to count to 5, he stood there like a statue. He wasn't even counting. We got hosed!
That’s interesting. Remember when their 7’3” guy got stuck with the ball late in the game? The ref didn’t even start counting 5 seconds until he had already been holding the ball 3 or 4 seconds and our defender was up against the Purdue guy so the count should’ve started immediately. The ref ANTICIPATED he was going to get rid of the ball. And that, to me, is the biggest issue with refs today. They make calls and decisions off anticipation rather than what they see. That and they get caught up in the emotion of the game at times and make calls simply because of crowd pressure, coach pressure, etc.

Reactions: 1985Vols
That used to be the rule, but they changed that years ago.

I don't remember that ever being the rule. The only timing rule on inbounds passes that I remember being changed was when time outs weren't allowed after the 4 count. There would be a lot of violations on full court inbounds passes if the ball had to be touched by 5 and I don't recall ever seeing that happen one time.

I don't remember that ever being the rule. The only timing rule on inbounds passes that I remember being changed was when time outs weren't allowed after the 4 count. There would be a lot of violations on full court inbounds passes if the ball had to be touched by 5 and I don't recall ever seeing that happen one time.
Might have been high school only.

VN Store

Back