We are now Chris Singleton's leader..

I saw Jurick play last night and he didnt impress me. Pearl was at the game. But I just saw a vidoe of Singleton and :eek:hmy: This kid is good.

i've never seen Jurick play, what didn't impress you about him? Does he play smaller than his size or just not aggressive?? He's rated in the Rivals 150 so he's obviously a pretty good player...

Singleton would definitely be a nice get for '08, but we also need to keep some of the in-state prospects at home. Guys like Elliot Williams and the Juric kid from Chattanooga, who's about 6'11".. the ultimate space-eater. Pearl was at one of Juric's games and got kicked out this past season.. we need to start landing some big guys consistently. Juric has us and Indiana at the top of his list. Williams, Juric and Singleton would fit in nicely with Chism, Crews, Ramar, Tabb, J.P. Prince and Cameron Tatum in '08.
Our unofficial wish list for '08:

Elliot Williams (6'4" SG)
Darius Miller (6'6" SF)
Chris Singleton (6'8" PF)
Phillip Jurick (6'10" C)

We have 4 schollys to give for this class even if we add McClain this year. All 4 have UT in the top 3 of their destinations so far as I've read/heard. This would be a top 10 (possibly top 5) class. Future looks pretty good from where I'm standing.

Our unofficial wish list for '08:

Elliot Williams (6'4" SG)
Darius Miller (6'6" SF)
Phillip Jurick (6'10" C)

We have 4 schollys to give for this class even if we add McClain this year. All 4 have UT in the top 3 of their destinations so far as I've read/heard. This would be a top 10 (possibly top 5) class. Future looks pretty good from where I'm standing.

I'd add Catalin Baciu and Angelo Johnson to that list.. And we'd definitely have an elite class with four of those guys. Singleton, Miller, Baciu, Johnson, and maybe Williams, will probably rise even more during the spring and summer evaluations. Bruce and company got involved real early with these guys.. Leslie Mcdonald is a name you should keep in mind as well. He's an elite player of the 2009 class who really likes Bruce and the Vols..

i've never seen Jurick play, what didn't impress you about him? Does he play smaller than his size or just not aggressive?? He's rated in the Rivals 150 so he's obviously a pretty good player...

Here are the knocks on Jurick...

1. He is atrocious at the free throw line. If he has a chance for a relatively easy basket, he will just get hacked most of the time; because he will be lucky to make 1 of the 2 FTs.

2. He doesn't play as aggressive as he should. I think this is primarily because of the Chattanooga area refs, though. I've watched several games the past couple of years, and he seems to have gotten more timid on the court because of the ticky tack fouls that are usually called against him. I was sitting next to a few scouts at the district championship, and they were just as baffled at the calls made against him. The officiating in his last game was good, but he still seems to go into the game trying to just finish the game without fouling out.

3. He misses some easy tip-ins, and it seems to happen more and more. I'm not sure if this is because he just isn't great at making the shots, or if it is because of the 3 or more people on him when he goes up and gets the board.

I don't know what the other guy thought that saw the game against White House, but those are my season long observations. I think he could have done more against White House, but for 95% of the game, the rest of his team couldn't make a shot. East Ridge's best pure shooter choked, only scoring 4 points, and forced every shot he took. Their second leading scorer for the game was their point guard who hardly shoots the ball. There were a couple of times in the game when Jurick got the ball, and all 5 defenders closed in on him, just because they had figured out that the rest of the team probably wouldnt make the open jumper. It doesn't matter how big you are if you are trying to shoot on 4 or 5 people.

Here are the knocks on Jurick...

1. He is atrocious at the free throw line. If he has a chance for a relatively easy basket, he will just get hacked most of the time; because he will be lucky to make 1 of the 2 FTs.

2. He doesn't play as aggressive as he should. I think this is primarily because of the Chattanooga area refs, though. I've watched several games the past couple of years, and he seems to have gotten more timid on the court because of the ticky tack fouls that are usually called against him. I was sitting next to a few scouts at the district championship, and they were just as baffled at the calls made against him. The officiating in his last game was good, but he still seems to go into the game trying to just finish the game without fouling out.

3. He misses some easy tip-ins, and it seems to happen more and more. I'm not sure if this is because he just isn't great at making the shots, or if it is because of the 3 or more people on him when he goes up and gets the board.

I don't know what the other guy thought that saw the game against White House, but those are my season long observations. I think he could have done more against White House, but for 95% of the game, the rest of his team couldn't make a shot. East Ridge's best pure shooter choked, only scoring 4 points, and forced every shot he took. Their second leading scorer for the game was their point guard who hardly shoots the ball. There were a couple of times in the game when Jurick got the ball, and all 5 defenders closed in on him, just because they had figured out that the rest of the team probably wouldnt make the open jumper. It doesn't matter how big you are if you are trying to shoot on 4 or 5 people.

Very nice observations. I would say he rated so highly because the ranking people have taken this into consideration and ranked accordingly. It would probably be a more accurate picture to see how he does in the Summer. :thumbsup:

If we add McClain this year and he is the real deal - do we really go after Jurick - or does Jurick look somewhere else?

if we add McClain then I would be surprised to see Jurick at UT... Indiana and Kentucky are high on him and both of those schools are going to need him in '08 so, I wouldn't expect to see him here if McClain chooses us.

if we add McClain then I would be surprised to see Jurick at UT... Indiana and Kentucky are high on him and both of those schools are going to need him in '08 so, I wouldn't expect to see him here if McClain chooses us.

I think it is solely between UT and IU. I would be really surprised if Jurick goes to UK. I was talking to one of my friends that still goes to ER, and he mentioned that when Tubby was at a game, he was incredibly rude. He wouldn't say anything to students, and shooed away people that approached him. In contrast, when Pearl was there the other night, he was mingling with everyone. He would chat with anybody and would sign autographs during any stoppage of play. At one point before the game, the student section started a "We love Bruce!" chant, which Pearl acknowledged by laughing and giving the students a double fist pump. To me, it seems like you would want to make a good impression on your recruit's peers, because that would make an impact on how much he considers your school.

I don't know anything about the McClain kid, I'll have to check him out. I think UT would probably want both kids, especially if McClain is a guy that can play immediately. I still think Jurick will need a year or two in college before he has the chance to breakout.

Very nice observations. I would say he rated so highly because the ranking people have taken this into consideration and ranked accordingly. It would probably be a more accurate picture to see how he does in the Summer. :thumbsup:

I thought about that too. I've never followed AAU ball at all, but I'm sure it makes a ton of difference to have other scorers on your team...

I thought about that too. I've never followed AAU ball at all, but I'm sure it makes a ton of difference to have other scorers on your team...

Plus you get to play against guys your size more often and the officials are more accustomed to having big guys bang against each other.

Why would Pearl want to leave UT?

He now has a rabid fan base, great facilities, plenty of money to raise that salary every time he excells. Our past few coaches were sitting on a gold mine and just couldn't find the shovel.

Pearl will become a legend, and he'll do it wearing an orange coat.

Plus if you remember the whole Iowa recruiting incident... a lot of schools wouldn't hire Pearl because of it. He loves UT because we gave him a shot.

Top Targets

Anthony McClain (6'11" C)

Elliot Williams (6'4" CG)
Phillip Jurick (6'10" C)
Angelo Johnson (5'10" CG)

Top Targets

Anthony McClain (6'11" C)

Elliot Williams (6'4" CG)
Phillip Jurick (6'10" C)
Angelo Johnson (5'10" CG)

I'd add Catalin Baciu to that list as well. The staff seems pretty high on him from what I hear..

We have quite a few targets for that class. Too early to tell who we really go after(other than Singleton, Williams, and probably Jurick).

We have quite a few targets for that class. Too early to tell who we really go after(other than Singleton, Williams, and probably Jurick).

Miller is a huge target, Bruce was in Maysville a few nights ago to see him play in the state tournament.. (The band played rocky top numerous times according to some sources)

does anyone know any kentucky message boards where they just talk about high school sports?
Ex) coacht.com

Many thought Darius Miller may verbal to us. I'm pretty sure we aren't pursuing McClain as heavily as before. This may be good news to us (maybe Bruce thinks Brian Williams will contribute next season). I hope we are a lock for Singleton because that kid can play and Elliot Williams is a shooter (which will be needed greated when Chris and Jujuan graduate). I'm not sold on Jurick yet b/c his game needs a lot of work and Carter McMasters is a HUGE project (6'10 and wants to shoot the 3 instead of play down low). But I wouldn't mind a class of Miller, Singleton, Williams and Jurick.

Many thought Darius Miller may verbal to us. I'm pretty sure we aren't pursuing McClain as heavily as before. This may be good news to us (maybe Bruce thinks Brian Williams will contribute next season). I hope we are a lock for Singleton because that kid can play and Elliot Williams is a shooter (which will be needed greated when Chris and Jujuan graduate). I'm not sold on Jurick yet b/c his game needs a lot of work and Carter McMasters is a HUGE project (6'10 and wants to shoot the 3 instead of play down low). But I wouldn't mind a class of Miller, Singleton, Williams and Jurick.

Wouldnt mind that class? Hahaha

Not really, Tennessee is still his leader but he will not make a final decision until sometime between June and December.

6-ft-4 point guard (Williams)
6-ft-6 shooting guard (Tatum)
6-ft-9 small forward (Singleton)
and 6-ft-10 center (Jurick)

With those guys added to a roster that already includes Smith, Tabb, Chism and Crews...we may be the longest, most athletic and bouncy team in the country in 2 years. It's speculation, I know, but it's really fun to think about.

VN Store

Back