Watching UK and AU

Tennessee fans do jump off the bandwagon pretty quick whenever we have a losing season in football and basketball.

Josh all fan bases are three sheets to the wind these days. Check out Georgia boards where they want Kirby fired and Fromm benched. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg

Josh all fan bases are three sheets to the wind these days. Check out Georgia boards where they want Kirby fired and Fromm benched. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg

I’m a Bruce guy through and through but the beauty in what Barnes has done here the last few years is bringing back expectations to be elite every year. We’ll be fine next year and everybody hates a down year but he’s gotten us back to high level elite expectations. We can’t forget where we were the whole decade after cutting Bruce loose.

I just miss Bruce. Barnes is a good coach and we’re lucky to have him but Bruce was/is tennessee basketball. We had an identity and swag about us.
Bruce made the Tennessee Program about Him vs Barnes who makes the Tennessee program about the players.
Do miss him, but he got caught, the AD and UT took the opportunity to cut ties vs defending him. Then, we made bad hires in Football and BB to get back under the good graces of the NCAA/SEC vs taking issue with this. A total Self Inflicted Sucking Chest Wound.
Could have rehired but we were dealing with other issues. Total Failure on the AD and board.

Bruce made the Tennessee Program about Him vs Barnes who makes the Tennessee program about the players.
Do miss him, but he got caught, the AD and UT took the opportunity to cut ties vs defending him. Then, we made bad hires in Football and BB to get back under the good graces of the NCAA/SEC vs taking issue with this. A total Self Inflicted Sucking Chest Wound.
Could have rehired but we were dealing with other issues. Total Failure on the AD and board.

The program was dead and Irrelevant before Bruce. The arena was an empty ugly orange aircraft hanger before Bruce. Bruce changed the whole program from top to bottom, so yeah it was about him. He built it himself. But I do agree our ad/admin ruined everything and panicked. But Ut’s admin has been doing that for a decade in every sport. I agree.

The program was dead and Irrelevant before Bruce. The arena was an empty ugly orange aircraft hanger before Bruce. Bruce changed the whole program from top to bottom, so yeah it was about him. He built it himself. But I do agree our ad/admin ruined everything and panicked. But Ut’s admin has been doing that for a decade in every sport. I agree.

The program was in worse shape after Bruce left than when he became the coach. Plus he didn't leave anything close to Watson, Lofton, JaJuan, and Dane for the next guy AND he lurked around in the background while Cuonzo was trying to fix the mess he inherited. I wouldn't call his brief tenure as the HC program building. He was entertaining, but it was all about Bruce. I'd rather have a guy with more class and fewer character flaws be taking that much of the spotlight as the HC.
image.jpg

The program was in worse shape after Bruce left than when he became the coach. Plus he didn't leave anything close to Watson, Lofton, JaJuan, and Dane for the next guy AND he lurked around in the background while Cuonzo was trying to fix the mess he inherited. I wouldn't call his brief tenure as the HC program building. He was entertaining, but it was all about Bruce. I'd rather have a guy with more class and fewer character flaws be taking that much of the spotlight as the HC.
View attachment 258348

Bruce didn’t leave. Blaming him for how bad we were after we removed him is stupid. We just went back to the old Tennessee basketball after we removed him. I don’t really care about that whole character integrity Christian thing with my coaches. I want winners who sell out the arena and aren’t scared to curse out officials and protect their team. Some like the Barnes approach some like the Bruce approach. Bruce took a dead UT program to an elite 8 and the worst sec program in history to a final 4. He doesn’t need to prove anything. Barnes on the other hand gets patted on the butt a lot and needs to be GREAT next year or it’s gonna get loud around here. Bruce lost 4 starters off a final 4/NC caliber team and didn’t miss a beat. Barnes is getting a really long leash at a much easier situation than Bruce. Resumès don’t lie.

The “I would rather have a square, play by the rules, perfect guy-underachieving coach vs a rock star, sell out the arena, over achieving coach” argument always blows my mind.

Bruce didn’t leave. Blaming him for how bad we were after we removed him is stupid. We just went back to the old Tennessee basketball after we removed him. I don’t really care about that whole character integrity Christian thing with my coaches. I want winners who sell out the arena and aren’t scared to curse out officials and protect their team. Some like the Barnes approach some like the Bruce approach. Bruce took a dead UT program to an elite 8 and the worst sec program in history to a final 4. He doesn’t need to prove anything. Barnes on the other hand gets patted on the butt a lot and needs to be GREAT next year or it’s gonna get loud around here. Bruce lost 4 starters off a final 4/NC caliber team and didn’t miss a beat. Barnes is getting a really long leash at a much easier situation than Bruce. Resumès don’t lie.

"Christian thing"?

Bruce's résumé also includes a show cause, lying to his employer, deceiving the NCAA and encouraging recruiting targets to lie on his behalf. He covered up failed drug tests by his players and had several top recruits having run ins with the police. He had a top assistant put in jail by the FBI. Good times.

image.jpg

Reactions: lynnh
"Christian thing"?

Bruce's résumé also includes a show cause, lying to his employer, deceiving the NCAA and encouraging recruiting targets to lie on his behalf. He covered up failed drug tests by his players and had several top recruits having run ins with the police. He had a top assistant put in jail by the FBI. Good times.

View attachment 258357

If you’re one of the people who think every big name coach in college basketball isn’t doing everything Bruce was accused of doing I can’t help that. What Bruce did wrong was lying about a slap on the wrist offense. And it was the stupidest thing ever. Our fans acting like he did some crazy off the wall stuff is embarrassing. Welcome to Elite college basketball.

If you’re one of the people who think every big name coach in college basketball isn’t doing everything Bruce was accused of doing I can’t help that. What Bruce did wrong was lying about a slap on the wrist offense. And it was the stupidest thing ever. Our fans acting like he did some crazy off the wall stuff is embarrassing. Welcome to Elite college basketball.

I'd say that lying to his employer and totally discounting off the court stuff with his players rank far ahead of lying about his hot dog party.

I'd say that lying to his employer and totally discounting off the court stuff with his players rank far ahead of lying about his hot dog party.

Cheating is part of winning. Duke, Kentucky, NC, mich state, Kansas don’t mind their coaches cheating to win. Paying players and getting players with criminal records is part of elite college basketball. Bruce just lied over a tiny thing and it blew up. I get tennessee fans didn’t know what elite basketball was before Bruce but acting like we should be the moral police on college basketball is stupid. If you want winners, accept what comes with it, if you want choir boys, accept under achieving and getting no respect/bad whistles from refs like Barnes gets.

I like Bruce too. I even met him once in a tailgate tent in Circle Park before the Cal game in 2006. Great guy, with a ton of charisma and charm. However, you are making things pre-Bruce and post-Bruce sound a little worse than they really were though. Tennessee made the NCAA Tournament all 4 years under Jerry Green including the Sweet 16 in 2000. Despite underachieving for the duration of his time here, Cuonzo Martin, with a favorable draw, also made the Sweet 16 in 2014. The only truly terrible coach we have had since 1998 was Buzz Peterson, but Buzz was not a bad recruiter. Bruce inherited a back court of CJ Watson and Chris Lofton. That is much better than what Barnes had to work with in his first season following Tyndall.

Cheating is part of winning. Duke, Kentucky, NC, mich state, Kansas don’t mind their coaches cheating to win. Paying players and getting players with criminal records is part of elite college basketball. Bruce just lied over a tiny thing and it blew up. I get tennessee fans didn’t know what elite basketball was before Bruce but acting like we should be the moral police on college basketball is stupid. If you want winners, accept what comes with it, if you want choir boys, accept under achieving and getting no respect/bad whistles from refs like Barnes gets.

Blue bloods can get away with things that TN doesn't.

image.jpg

I like Bruce too. I even met him once in a tailgate tent in Circle Park before the Cal game in 2006. Great guy, with a ton of charisma and charm. However, you are making things pre-Bruce and post-Bruce sound a little worse than they really were though. Tennessee made the NCAA Tournament all 4 years under Jerry Green including the Sweet 16 in 2000. Despite underachieving for the duration of his time here, Cuonzo Martin, with a favorable draw, also made the Sweet 16 in 2014. The only truly terrible coach we have had since 1998 was Buzz Peterson, but Buzz was not a bad recruiter. Bruce inherited a back court of CJ Watson and Chris Lofton. That is much better than what Barnes had to work with in his first season following Tyndall.

Jerry green was never a sec/natty title contender. Cuonzo was never an sec/natty contender. Buzz was never a sec/natty contender. Bruce Pearl and rick Barnes are on different planets than them mediocre nobody’s.

Neither Auburn or Kentucky are elite but I think we get swept. I think there is a risk of losing by 10+ each game.

Gotta either get rid of some deadweight and replace with better prospects or see several of the current players minutes reduced next year or face the reality improvement will be marginal. Too many garbage pail players with empty pails.

Reactions: KnoxvilleVol13
One that tends to come crashing down.

What’s more impressive to you.. taking auburn or Texas to a final 4? Or taking Tennessee to an elite 8 vs taking Tennessee to the sweet 16? Bruce lost 4 starters from a final 4 team. Didn’t drop off one bit. Barnes lost 4 starters from a sweet 16 team and will struggle to make the NIT and stay above .500.

Reactions: Big time vol
Jerry green was never a sec/natty title contender. Cuonzo was never an sec/natty contender. Buzz was never a sec/natty contender. Bruce Pearl and rick Barnes are on different planets than them mediocre nobody’s.
Tennessee did finish first in the SEC East Division (there were East and West divisions at the time), in both 1999 and 2000. They finished in a four way tie for the best overall record in the SEC regular season in 2000. Those were good teams. Tennessee beat Florida twice in 2000. Florida made the Final Four that year.

VN Store

Back