Was 2006 a "Successful Year" for Vol Football?

I had thought it was a succesful season, considering how the Vols rose above that god-awful 2005 season. And then came the Outback Bowl. That ruined it for me personally. I went to the Kentucky game and had counted the days until New Years day. What a disappointment! No, to me it was not a successful season. But I'm not ready to see coaches fired, etc. just yet.

That's the thing right there, Tennessee should never have to rise above a 5-6 season. If Tennessee had gone 9-3 last season, I actually feel like more people would be upset, but 5-6 allowed mediocrity to become acceptable.

Some caller on The Sports Animal just said "Tennessee is Purdue plus 40,000 seats" that is funny, but becomming so true.

Crazy stat from guy on Sports Animal:

Games we've been beaten at home by 17+ points.

1985-2001: 4
2002-present: 5

Finishing outside the top 25 is never a successful season, and thats where UT will probably end up.

Some caller on The Sports Animal just said "Tennessee is Purdue plus 40,000 seats" that is funny, but becomming so true.

I'm not sure we need any more debate. An outsider and pretty well summed up where we are under the current regime.

Not a successful year. The first half was successful but the last half didn't look too different from last year.

It was a winning season... end this thread.:unsure:

is this our goal now? a winning season? that's sad. i'm usually very positive but this year wasn't close to being successful. when there are no goals achieved, how exactly can it be a successful season. why tennessee didn't show up for tha outback bowl, that's hard to explain, especially after missing tha bowl last year. enthusiasm seemed to die towards tha end of tha season. if that happens again next year...probably won't be good for tha staff.

Glad someone started a thread about this. I was wondering what everybody thought...
:lolabove: after reading the whole thread, this was the best post. nice owh.
That's the thing right there, Tennessee should never have to rise above a 5-6 season. If Tennessee had gone 9-3 last season, I actually feel like more people would be upset, but 5-6 allowed mediocrity to become acceptable.
i agree with this.....to a point. the fact that we went 5-6 obviously shows some deficiencies in the program, which are highly debatable based on this week's threads....anyway, when you go 5-6, regardless of whether we should have ever had a season like that, it does beg the question, where are we really as a program today? based on the record, and as the Tuna (and hatvol) like to say...you are what your record says you are.

so if you really believe that, then 06 is "improvement". some deficiencies were "fixed". some weren't, and some others developed as the season went along.

season to season, expectations should be adjusted based on given performance. but as a program, the expectation should remain the same. And if as season to season continues to go on and the same deficiencies are still there, then something has to change.

the oldest form of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting better results each time. your definition of "better" as it relates to a)expectations and b)reality of the situation, will ultimately dictate which side of this arguement you stand on.

For me, i've now come to realize that we are seeing the same thing over and over again, with either the SAME results or WORSE results. We are much closer to a need for change than we have been in quite some time. is that change a change in HC or that the HC change the way things are done? imo, it doesn't matter, if either bring us where we want to go, then i'm fine either way.

Just getting tired of the same old same old.:thumbsup:

is this our goal now? a winning season? that's sad. i'm usually very positive but this year wasn't close to being successful. when there are no goals achieved, how exactly can it be a successful season. why tennessee didn't show up for tha outback bowl, that's hard to explain, especially after missing tha bowl last year. enthusiasm seemed to die towards tha end of tha season. if that happens again next year...probably won't be good for tha staff.

I'm just trying to show the Fulmer backers some support.

They need it right now...

VN Store

Back