Was 2006 a "Successful Year" for Vol Football?

I don't. I can't call going just 5-3 in conference and losing the Outback Bowl "successful". I would say mediocre, or average at best.

ya anything compared to 2005 is a success, but in the big picture i'd say it was a mediocre year

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The fact that this question thsi question is asked about a 9-4 season shows where the program is. Welcome to the Irrelevance Ball. We'll be seated between Texas Tech and Iowa.

Nope, not even close to successful. It was average, and nothing tangible was won.

5-6 was the best thing to happen to CPF. Now, he can survive mediocre seasons like this one, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000, and 1999.

Compared to 2005 yes.That's about where I'm at.Thoughts?

2005 shouldn't be the bar we measure our success against IMO.

2006 was ho-hum, we had some great moments, sure, but we also had a couple of piss poor outings, namely Ark and PSU. Also, for a while now we've had a disturbing trend of games where, in the 90s we would have crushed the opponent - and we are now winning by one score.

Interesting, our winning percentage for 2006 (69.2%), is almost exactly the same winning percentage for our program since inception. So from that angle, we turned in the average Tennessee football season. But I think we all want better than average...

Only one way to tell if we were succesfull and it is not #s its that feeling in the pit of your stomach at the end of the season......I feel a little disapointed.

I don't consider any season a success when we lose 2 games at home....Top 10 teams or not if we want to be considered a top program we have got to win our home games....I've said this before but I don't believe teams have any problem thinking that thye can come into Neyland and win, and that's a HUGE problem.....

Each season stands on its own.

The questions is this: Is a 4 loss season with no championships, fringe top 25 ranking, and a loss in the bowl game considered a successful season?

One's answer to that question determines the measurement. It doesn't matter whether last year was great or terrible.

The questions is this: Is a 4 loss season with no championships, fringe top 25 ranking, and a loss in the bowl game considered a successful season?

One's answer to that question determines the measurement. It doesn't matter whether last year was great or terrible.

This works also...

I've said this before but I don't believe teams have any problem thinking that thye can come into Neyland and win, and that's a HUGE problem.....

Fulmer's record against top-10 teams at home since 2000 is something like 5-10, with several blowouts. If you cant turn 100k fans into homefield advantage...you need to go.

2005 shouldn't be the bar we measure our success against IMO.

2006 was ho-hum, we had some great moments, sure, but we also had a couple of piss poor outings, namely Ark and PSU. Also, for a while now we've had a disturbing trend of games where, in the 90s we would have crushed the opponent - and we are now winning by one score.

Interesting, our winning percentage for 2006 (69.2%), is almost exactly the same winning percentage for our program since inception. So from that angle, we turned in the average Tennessee football season. But I think we all want better than average...
As a 10-2 2005 season by Bama's Shula wasn't a barometer for him apparently.

Each season may stand on its own, but did anyone really believe that there weren't some very serious deficiencies after the 2005 debacle? You don't recover from all that drove you to 5-6 over night.

9-4 is mediocre by Tennessee standards. In this particular case, it also looks like a step in the right direction, although much of the luster of the progress was lost by disappointing outings in the last two ballgames.

I still think next year is the landmark year for Tennessee football. I think it will determine whether 9-4 was a building season or whether it was an indication of mediocrity for the program.

Each season may stand on its own, but did anyone really believe that there weren't some very serious deficiencies after the 2005 debacle? You don't recover from all that drove you to 5-6 over night.

Yes...the deficiencies were coaching.

The "recovery" as you call it was recovering from poor coaching.

But whether or not those deficiencies were fixed or not has little to do with whether or not this year was good or bad by the beholder.

It was better than last year, yes. But that's not on the table.

It was better than last year, yes. But that's not on the table.

Of course it is. This year was progress, albeit from rock bottom. As I stated before, I believe next year will tell the tale as to whether progress will continue.

VN Store

Back