War in Ukraine

You'd think if they really wanted fuel they'd use the arms they undoubtedly have in their vehicle to procure it, yes?

I think what's going on is that a lot of these guys don't want to be doing this. What will be interesting to see is how the Ukrainians treat the average guy like this that essentially "turns himself in".

Putin is basically daring other countries to intervene, threatening to resort to nukes. He has to know that no one wins if nukes come into play. His country will not survive. In some ways, I wish someone would call his bluff, in others, I of course worry he just might be serious. But I do think he's bluffing, feigning strength for his people. The last thing he wants is to look weak.

Putin is basically daring other countries to intervene, threatening to resort to nukes. He has to know that no one wins if nukes come into play. His country will not survive. In some ways, I wish someone would call his bluff, in others, I of course worry he just might be serious. But I do think he's bluffing, feigning strength for his people. The last thing he wants is to look weak.

This has turned into a major wake-up call for Europe and I hope America. I don’t think Europe actually thought he would go through with this, and I don’t believe Putin expected the backlash from the world.

I just said to my dad something is weird about this. Russia by all accounts is getting their ass kicked, but you look at why and it's just total incompetence. Are they that incompetent or is there something else going on here?

From everything I have seen so far it is due to ...

They have not sent in their heavy hitter weapons yet and are willing to lose their older weaponry to depletes Ukraine’s supply.

Poor logistics planning.

They underestimated Ukraine’s resolve to defend itself.

And the biggest reason in my opinion is that the majority of the Russian troops hearts are not into the fight, it is vital to believe in one’s cause when going to war and I don’t think the average Russian combat soldier does at this point. Nothing I have seen so far leads me to believe the average Russian thinks their cause is a righteous one and worth dying for.

Just my opinion.

This has turned into a major wake-up call for Europe and I hope America. I don’t think Europe actually thought he would go through with this, and I don’t believe Putin expected the backlash from the world.
I have to imagine Putin didn't think it would be this difficult to take Ukraine. That, or he truly has gone mad.

Germany and Japan were the aggressors in WWII. That changes the story quite a bit IMO.

Germany and Japan's status as agressors certainly made the victorious Allies' demand that they be demilitarized a just one, but my point is that their continued existence as nations was benefited by -- indeed contingent upon -- their demilitarization. I was responding to the assertion that "demilitarization should NEVER be an option of a country wanting to stay a country." I'm not saying it's a good option for most countries in most circumstances.

Germany and Japan's status as agressors certainly made the victorious Allies' demand that they be demilitarized a just one, but my point is that their continued existence as nations was benefited by -- indeed contingent upon -- their demilitarization. I was responding to the assertion that "demilitarization should NEVER be an option of a country wanting to stay a country." I'm not saying it's a good option for most countries in most circumstances.
I guess my point is Germany and Japan weren't "conquered", just defeated. Putin is looking to conquer Ukraine. If they want to remain a country, demilitarization is clearly not an option.

Reactions: AM64 and tvolsfan
I guess my point is Germany and Japan weren't "conquered", just defeated. Putin is looking to conquer Ukraine. If they want to remain a country, demilitarization is clearly not an option.

If you follow this exchange back to the beginning, you'll see that it started with me making precisely that point.

Like many years ago, the Russian troops showed little signs of remorse in killing innocent civilians. There may be footage of them stopping to not run people over, but I remember years ago video of them sending rockets into small cities and there being nothing but civilians laying around at the site of the impact - dead. I just saw another video a few minutes ago, but I won't post it for the graphic content. There was a van sitting on the side of the road and ditch beside it. In the ditch a bunch of civilian's bodies thrown in with their dogs. There was just one German Shepard alive sitting there in the ditch next to it's owner. Not leaving it's owner's side. The van shot up and blood on the road. Another dog hanging out of the side door dead. Then another video of a mother and daughter thanking Putin sarcastically for liberating them while their small house behind them is on fire.

Reactions: 825VOL
Good point. Russia should disarm.

Why is Russia (Putin) invading Ukraine .... just to have more territory?

What is Russia fighting for? What's the end game for them & to the world?

VN Store

Back