Volunteers Not As Young As Sneaky Coach Jones Would Have You Think

Thanks! Yeah, I really think Georgia are a young team. February two-deep rosters are always hotly debatable, but otherwise the numbers tell the story that they're about as young as we are.

Now the nagging follow-on question is, how widespread is this youthful trend? Is Alabama that way? A&M, who we have to play in a couple of years (with Chief as their DC)? LSU? I'm not yet energized enough to test any of those, but I'm dying to know.

I was thinking the same thing, I would love to know the stats across the SEC & maybe even some top teams outside the SEC or avg experience on teams that have won the Title the last few years! However, I wouldn't ask you to do that research and I'm certainly not going to do either, haha.

I Can't wait to see how the relative youth translates to the field this year!

Here's the two-deep comparison spreadsheet. Ignore the Alabama part, it turned out to be more work than I was willing to undertake, at least for now. :)

Two-DeepComparisonVolsampGav2.png

EDIT: 'Martin' error corrected, see below. Thanks for correction.

This chart sucks.

You could have at least put the Vols in the proper color.:)

Our Palette | The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Just kidding. Good job.

Bottom line for me is that Butch deserves all the accolades for the recruiting.

He also deserves all the expectations that should come with an improved roster with more experience.

GA fans would love to debate you on this notion......:)

Being from the Atlanta area, I have several friends that are UGA grads (and several Ga Tech....that's a fun weekend). I always tell the UGA guys that the AD needs to make damn sure they have a ggod replacement before firing a coach that consistenly puts up 9 or 10 wins a season. Please reference our recent history of hiring blunders prior to CBJ.

i think, as was displayed when Dobbs took over, that his mobility can/will hide some O line deficiencies, and the sack #'s will come down. Worley, God bless him, was a statue.

i think early on, the key will be 1st down offense. can we get 4-6 yards more times than not and not put ourselves in to obvious passing situations on 3rd down.

how nice would it be if an opposing defense had to creep a guy down in the box to help stop the run, or have to blitz an extra guy when we did have to pass? heck last year, we were getting beat on 3 man rushes.

duh, right? i'm sure that's a mind blowing concept!! lol.

but, i think part of the O line also depends on whether or not Blair can come in to his own, and how much the "experience" of 2014 translates in to development for the other returning guys.

bottom line, both are still question marks, even if slightly so, headed in to 2015. it's still reasonable to think that Dobbs will get better. and that the O line will get better. heck, just get to average will be significant improvement over last year.

You're right that sacks went down when Dobbs started playing, at least the first few games. But as the yr went on defenses figured out what we were going to do on offense and weren't concerned that Dobbs could beat them deep. They had guys closer to the DLine because of the 20+ swing passes, screens and jet sweeps we ran a game. Bajakian didn't adjust and kept calling the same plays. Could have been they didn't trust Dobbs throwing anything over 10-15 yards because of his accuracy down field or being int and turnover prone. Think we will at least see more creativy on offense, better play calling and the ability to make in game and halftime adjustments, things Bajakian wasn't very good at. Not excited on the Debord hire but I trust Butch and hopefully it works out great. I just had no confidence in Bajakian at all. Jmo

Ha! Thanks for responding, I'm ALWAYS messing with the colors on my computer trying to get it right, and never seem to be able to. Now I'll try dialing in the numbers you linked, see if that'll get me there. :eek:k:

Was just joking around my man. Your charts, do what you will with them.

I figured this was another miniscule, beside the point to harp on though like many other posters in the thread LOL.

Appreciate the effort though.

Being from the Atlanta area, I have several friends that are UGA grads (and several Ga Tech....that's a fun weekend). I always tell the UGA guys that the AD needs to make damn sure they have a ggod replacement before firing a coach that consistenly puts up 9 or 10 wins a season. Please reference our recent history of hiring blunders prior to CBJ.

i've had the same conversation with some friends of mine that are GA fans....

You're right that sacks went down when Dobbs started playing, at least the first few games. But as the yr went on defenses figured out what we were going to do on offense and weren't concerned that Dobbs could beat them deep. They had guys closer to the DLine because of the 20+ swing passes, screens and jet sweeps we ran a game. Bajakian didn't adjust and kept calling the same plays. Could have been they didn't trust Dobbs throwing anything over 10-15 yards because of his accuracy down field or being int and turnover prone. Think we will at least see more creativy on offense, better play calling and the ability to make in game and halftime adjustments, things Bajakian wasn't very good at. Not excited on the Debord hire but I trust Butch and hopefully it works out great. I just had no confidence in Bajakian at all. Jmo

agreed. we had no down field presence, largely due to the fact Dobbs couldn't get it there accurately.

which is why i still put a question mark on him going in to 15. if he can develop as a passer, things look up quick. especially with the crop of WR's we have. i do think he, and the O Line both get better in this respect.

i think the play calling was the result of limitations we had with Dobbs not being very accurate, and porous offensive line play. everything had to be quick off the line of scrimmage.

guys were in the backfield in 2-3 seconds. not a lot of time for plays to develop.

the beauty of this offense is that you can do so many different things from the same set/look. it may not "look" creative, but it really is. up tempo, keeping the defensive personnel on the field and finding match ups.

it's a beautiful thing. and i think we'll see more of what Butch wants it to look like this year. i wont' say i was excited about deboard either, but for the sake of continuity, i do understand it, and we simply couldn't afford to adjust the offense too much with how many people are going to be back this year. no way you can throw a new offense at this group. and Deboard will do what Butch wants, with the same terminology etc...far easier to have one coach learn, (and his learning curve isn't going to be very steep) then re teach the whole offense, again.

agreed. we had no down field presence, largely due to the fact Dobbs couldn't get it there accurately.

which is why i still put a question mark on him going in to 15. if he can develop as a passer, things look up quick. especially with the crop of WR's we have. i do think he, and the O Line both get better in this respect.

it's a beautiful thing. and i think we'll see more of what Butch wants it to look like this year. i wont' say i was excited about deboard either, but for the sake of continuity, i do understand it, and we simply couldn't afford to adjust the offense too much with how many people are going to be back this year. no way you can throw a new offense at this group. and Deboard will do what Butch wants, with the same terminology etc...far easier to have one coach learn, (and his learning curve isn't going to be very steep) then re teach the whole offense, again.

This is an interesting cross between two threads running simultaneously, with CBJ and Mike Debord's press conference now being discussed on a sister thread.

We knew DeBord is a strong OLine coach, that's his DNA. What I was happily surprised to hear in the presser was him getting into the weeds some on the development of the QBs, both freshmen and (especially) Dobbs, as well. Dude clearly has plenty of experience looking at, studying, and coaching/helping QBs, both in college previously and (even more) in the pros.

I'm with you in the OLine & QB depth/development being the #1 concern this coming year, but feeling better and better about it as we go along. There was one new source of nagging doubt, though, when CBJ talked about the DLine's injuries affecting spring training, which will in turn affect development of the OLine opposite them....

If you haven't checked out the presser or the thread discussing it, I recommend them.

Last edited:
My prediction: you will join right in with the rest of us celebrating and honoring these Derek Dooley recruited (and "tarnished" in your view) seniors when their career comes to a glorious end, less than a year from now. When names like Pig Howard and Chris Weatherd and Mack Crowder and Brian Randolph and Curt Maggitt, all "Dooley guys," will have led us to a far brighter 2015 season than many on these board predicted.

We'll be proud of them, proud that they chose to become Volunteers and then grew up to lead the 2015 squad, regardless of which coaches were at the other end of the fax machine when they sent in their letters of intent.

The world wasn't born with Butch Jones. He's awesome, and is a world-class recruiter. But there was some talent on the team when he arrived. Don't dismiss good players because they happened to show up while we had a bad coach.

Well said. Way too many people on this board don't look at the talent of the recruits during Dooleys tenure. Yes, Dooley sucked, but to take that out on the talented recruits we have while he was HC is ridiculous. Its not like our recruiting classes were ranked in the 30's, 40's and 50's even with Doofus at the helm. Its almost like Jones can do no wrong with some and I'm willing to bet that he's not playing the most talented some of the time. He's been throwing in a ton of freshman for a recruiting pitch imho. Its year 3, time to win.

i think the play calling was the result of limitations we had with Dobbs not being very accurate, and porous offensive line play. everything had to be quick off the line of scrimmage.

guys were in the backfield in 2-3 seconds. not a lot of time for plays to develop.

the beauty of this offense is that you can do so many different things from the same set/look. it may not "look" creative, but it really is. up tempo, keeping the defensive personnel on the field and finding match ups.

I agree. If Dobbs becomes a better passer and we are able to stetch the field along with better online play then our offense will be very good. If the OLine improves but Dobbs still struggles with intermediate and deeper passes and still struggles with it's then we will struggle, especially against the better defense's. Those swing passes, jet sweeps and screens will continue to struggle moving the chains if he can't stretch defenses. They won't respect it and can play up which will also affect the run game. Jmo but think Dobbs progressing on his passing would rank just ahead of online development. They would be 1a and 1b. And why I say this is because the Online benefited early on when Dobbs started playing. He was hitting those passes albeit against scar and UK but still sacks went down and the offense clicked. But then comes Mizzou and Vandy and coach's had a better feel on what we were going to do. Then Dobbs struggled on intermediate and beyond passes and with it's. I know of at least 6 other it's that were dropped those last 3 games. Then defense's played up and it affected our short passing game and the sacks returned again. If It was just the Mizzou game I wouldn't have been as concerned but he looked awful against a horrid Vandy D and play calling was as basic as you could get because they obviously didn't trust Dobbs after int's and other dropped int's early in the game. Not saying Online improvement is important because it absolutely is. But online improvement but Dobbs still struggles passing still hurts the pass game. But Dobbs has shown he could make the line look better than they really were. But best case they both make improvements and with Hurd, Kamara and healthy receivers it becomes one of the better offenses in the SEC. Plus Debord hopefully shows us why Butch brought him in.

Great post op. Love the info. Also love the way you handled the nit pickers. Some will try to undermine any study but do not put in the work required to dispute your findings. Would love to see this expanded to more teams but think it would have similar results. While we may still play numerous freshman we are not as young and inexperienced as I thought. We should surprise a few teams this yr. with that in mind I predict 9 wins 8 min 10 would be great. The main thing is we can play with anybody. GBO

I agree. If Dobbs becomes a better passer and we are able to stetch the field along with better online play then our offense will be very good. ... Jmo but think Dobbs progressing on his passing would rank just ahead of online development. ... I say this is because the Online benefited early on when Dobbs started playing. ... Not saying Online improvement is important because it absolutely is....

Haha! I swear I usually don't say a word about misspellings and weird grammar, but I just found it funny when you said "online play" (you clearly meant offensive line play, I get it). I just imagined all us VolNationers, sitting in our living rooms, computers on our laps, furiously typing all kinds of crap while our Vols play on our big screen TVs in front of us. *shrug* it's just the mental image your "online" typo called up. And for "online improvement and development," I saw us all trying to stretch and do jumping jacks holding an ipad and typing into it one-handed. Thanks for the chuckle!

BTW, I absolutely agree with your point: developing Joshua's downfield passing accuracy under pressure (and keeping him healthy) are easily as important as getting the line squared away to protect him.

Great post op. Love the info. Also love the way you handled the nit pickers. Some will try to undermine any study but do not put in the work required to dispute your findings. Would love to see this expanded to more teams but think it would have similar results. While we may still play numerous freshman we are not as young and inexperienced as I thought. We should surprise a few teams this yr. with that in mind I predict 9 wins 8 min 10 would be great. The main thing is we can play with anybody. GBO

Thanks, Voltan! I really am still trying to get myself energized to run the numbers for Alabama, maybe Arkansas. You and I are perfectly aligned on expectations, I waver between 8-4 and 10-2 as well. :good!:

Ha! Thanks for responding, I'm ALWAYS messing with the colors on my computer trying to get it right, and never seem to be able to. Now I'll try dialing in the numbers you linked, see if that'll get me there. :eek:k:

Adidas computer imo

VN Store

Back