Vols & Your Other Half

My wife and I graduated from UT in 1997. We are both enormous vol fans, and she's probably a little more psycho than I am about Tennessee football. Her first football memory is watching the 85 sugar bowl with her dad. We have a 21 year old son who's at UT now, and unfortunately he has known nothing but torment as a lifelong vol fan. Hopefully we are on the upswing!

Reactions: MAD
My wife is a southern Illinois native, so she supports the area teams (SIU Salukis, Illinois, STL Cardinals and Blues). She says she likes Bama and Florida, usually with the goal of getting under my skin. Secretly, I think she wants the Vols to win, for no other reason than it keeps me in a good frame of mind.
I have a Cobden Appleknockers Tee shirt. Is your wife from that area?

painful to say
she grew up in bama
graduated from bama
claims she does not like football but worships at the statue of little nicky

Last edited:
Are you with someone who….

Participates in your love for the Big Orange together?
Does their own thing and let’s you enjoy the game?
Roots for a different team?
Tries to schedule brunch or chores etc making it difficult to watch the game or makes you feel guilty?

* Doesn’t have to be the Vols if you support another team, same questions apply.
My wife is not a football fan. See will occasionally watch a little bit of a game and that's about it. She laughs at me when i yell at the TV. See does enjoy watching the basketball Vols though. We typically go to 5 or 6 games at TBA every year.

My wife grew up a vols fan and I started taking her to games when we started dating in high school. She is actually a better fan than I am these days. The past 12 years has caused me stress that I didn't need so I usually quit watching(except for this year) when things started going downhill. She watches every game from start to finish. She's a true fan of our Vols.

My wife grew up a vols fan and I started taking her to games when we started dating in high school. She is actually a better fan than I am these days. The past 12 years has caused me stress that I didn't need so I usually quit watching(except for this year) when things started going downhill. She watches every game from start to finish. She's a true fan of our Vols.
You won the prize

Wife is a UT fan and proudly wears the orange and LOVES going to games but isn't big on following the teams besides what I tell her and isn't big on watching games on TV sadly but probably better for me and our marriage lol

Mrs. EatinFresh was an Alabama fan when we met. I took her to a UT basketball game not long after we started dating. We played Vandy, and had a comeback win. She cried when we were singing Rocky Top at the end of the game. She converted on the spot.

I care about football more than she does. Unless it's a family emergency or a church event, I plan Saturdays around our games. She'll definitely watch if it's on, but won't go out of her way to make sure she sees it. She's a bigger basketball fan than football, especially come tourney time. Used to be a big Preds fan too, but she's tapered off on that quite a bit.

She likes racing though. Never did understand that.

Mrs. EatinFresh was an Alabama fan when we met. I took her to a UT basketball game not long after we started dating. We played Vandy, and had a comeback win. She cried when we were singing Rocky Top at the end of the game. She converted on the spot.

I care about football more than she does. Unless it's a family emergency or a church event, I plan Saturdays around our games. She'll definitely watch if it's on, but won't go out of her way to make sure she sees it. She's a bigger basketball fan than football, especially come tourney time. Used to be a big Preds fan too, but she's tapered off on that quite a bit.

You did something right, good job 👍

This woman is commenting on someone else criticizing the guy watching the game on the phone while he is eating with his girl.
She gets it.

Reactions: tntar heel

Congrats sir! You brought one back from the dark side!

I have a Cobden Appleknockers Tee shirt. Is your wife from that area?
She was born in Eldorado (where we live and I teach) but graduated from Norris City-Omaha-Enfield, which is NE of Cobden. The Appleknockers is one of the truly great school nicknames that I've ever heard. For those who don't know, Cobden is well known in our region for their apple (and peach) orchards, which is the origin of the school's nickname.

Reactions: tntar heel and MAD
My wife is a VFL now. When we first started dating she only watched Pro Football. She didn't have a favorite team but hated the Cowboys for some reason. Now she is all Vol. There is no way I could have dated someone that cheered for a different team. Especially if they cheered against the Vols. I don't think they could handle watching a VOLS game with me.

It would be really difficult to date a diehard Bama fan, huge turnoff.

I could not do it. I ghosted a hottie one time after our first date. She was smoking hot but when she pulled her jacket off there was a Gator shirt under it. SMDH We had a good time and at the end of the date I asked why the Gator shirt. Her Dad went to school there and her whole family was Gator fans. No way that was going to work. Time to move on.

VN Store

Back