Vols will win 8/9 games next year IF......

Recent mathematical models have proven a strong correlation (100% effective) between points scored and wins. For the Vols to win 8 games, they must outscore their opponent by game's end in 75% of their regular season contests. The percentage is slightly altered with a bowl invite and a victory. Hope this helps.
Let me see if I've got this right. We have to outscore our opponent in 9 games to win 8?

Reactions: 2 people
Let me see if I've got this right. We have to outscore our opponent in 9 games to win 8?

I padded the numbers considering our recent history at LSU, against NCST in MCB, and against UF this year.

Or, simple division escapes me. You decide which.

If your offensive line improves and Dobbs can be reasonably productive, you can compete for the SECe, it seems to me.

I hope so, I just have this yucky feeling that FL will be the silent killer next year.

I will feel better about this if they lose 3-5 studs early to the NFL and have a sucky recruiting year.

I padded the numbers considering our recent history at LSU, against NCST in MCB, and against UF this year.

Or, simple division escapes me. You decide which.
As a one time Math major, I'm thinking it might could a converting percentages to fractions deal, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since we have lost games that we won when the game ended the first time.

Reactions: 1 person
After looking at Tennessee's schedule for next year and looking at the wins and the losses, it seems 8 wins is definitely possible. Just winning their games at home with the exception of Oklahoma and gaining the win back at Kentucky.

The biggest IF is the OL and the ability to return more depth and skill to a depleted OL that has vastly underperformed with the exception of a few games.

Or would it be IF the Vols duplicated AJ's leadership role and playmaking ability to JRM or Maggitt and be able to make those plays and TFL he did so well.

Or would it be IF Dobbs can develop this spring and fall practices working with the 1st team only and be the man we saw in the 10 quarters against Bama/USCe/Kentucky or is he going to be the player we saw in 8 quarters against Vandy/Mizzou??

Got to go with OL. Nothing on offense happens unless QB/RB's get more time for the plays to develope. No downfield passing which takes away one of the better talented skill positions UT has . I don't think we saw even 20% of what the offense is supposed to be. I would like to be proven wrong, but I don't think that playing out of position was the biggest issue. I think lack of skill is the biggest issue with 3 of the lineman. I think Robertson will be greatly improved and Blair will be very good (I think he could have played better than what we had, but he was redshirted just like they wanted for Dobbs).

I think they can "fix" or get better in some of these IF questions during their 15 bowl practices which they can have as many of them as they want because they do not count once you are on site at the bowl. So they can have a full week of practice in Jacksonville. AJ ( who has an agent already) will be gone so they can get used to him and th OL can gel and bond for a month so if they did not have bowl prep I would say chances are slimmer.

Got to go with OL. Nothing on offense happens unless QB/RB's get more time for the plays to develope. No downfield passing which takes away one of the better talented skill positions UT has . I don't think we saw even 20% of what the offense is supposed to be. I would like to be proven wrong, but I don't think that playing out of position was the biggest issue. I think lack of skill is the biggest issue with 3 of the lineman. I think Robertson will be greatly improved and Blair will be very good (I think he could have played better than what we had, but he was redshirted just like they wanted for Dobbs).
They said he was out of shape for an SEC team. So you are right he will have had over a year to be in the strength and conditioning program at UT.

After looking at Tennessee's schedule for next year and looking at the wins and the losses, it seems 8 wins is definitely possible. Just winning their games at home with the exception of Oklahoma and gaining the win back at Kentucky.

The biggest IF is the OL and the ability to return more depth and skill to a depleted OL that has vastly underperformed with the exception of a few games.

Or would it be IF the Vols duplicated AJ's leadership role and playmaking ability to JRM or Maggitt and be able to make those plays and TFL he did so well.

Or would it be IF Dobbs can develop this spring and fall practices working with the 1st team only and be the man we saw in the 10 quarters against Bama/USCe/Kentucky or is he going to be the player we saw in 8 quarters against Vandy/Mizzou??

We will win 8-9 games if we win 8-9 games.

I believe if our OL can improve by something like 25-30%, we stand an excellent chance at 9 wins counting a bowl. Outside of Alabama, I just dont see anyone on our schedule that appears to be that much better on paper than us.

If we score more points in 8/9 games than the other team we win. I guarantee it.

I feel like I am in programming class all over again...... IF....THEN.... :rtfm:

They said he was out of shape for an SEC team. So you are right he will have had over a year to be in the strength and conditioning program at UT.

He was an EE...arrived in Jan of 2014 so he's already been there a whole year. That conditioning excuse is all internet creation as he had 8 months from Jan to August to get into shape. There's no D1 college athlete alive that needs more than 8 months to get into shape.

Its possible he was terribly weak for his size although his juco film didn't reflect that.

Peterman really should transfer. I just don't think he has a future as a QB in the SEC. Might light the field up in the MWC/AAC/MAC etc.

Hard for anyone to say that. Dobbs had the opportunity to wrap up the starter job for next two years but digressed horribly the last two games. While Peterman still remains the runt of the litter, he still has an opportunity to play. Unless Dobbs goes all USC and UK vs Iowa, the qb race will be wide open in the spring. You may not like that and neither do I. However, he still has a say in it because Dobbs has not taken total control over the position.

Hard for anyone to say that. Dobbs had the opportunity to wrap up the starter job for next two years but digressed horribly the last two games. While Peterman still remains the runt of the litter, he still has an opportunity to play. Unless Dobbs goes all USC and UK vs Iowa, the qb race will be wide open in the spring. You may not like that and neither do I. However, he still has a say in it because Dobbs has not taken total control over the position.

Dobbs didn't play poorly against Mizzou, he just didn't play well enough to be a gamechanger. His passing numbers were good and he hit the throws downfield when we finally opened up in the 4th quarter. Je threw 1 Int(which was a fluke drop by Malone). He didn't play well against Vandy though, as you mentioned.

If your offensive line improves and Dobbs can be reasonably productive, you can compete for the SECe, it seems to me.

I have to agree we would of won a few more games this year if Worley won't of been picking himself off the of the ground every other play..

VN Store

Back