Vols vs Nebraska (Game Thread)

I would not be surprised if Kasongo eventually replaces Reese in the starting lineup if he keeps giving UT minutes like he did against George Washington with the rebounds and a couple of blocked shots.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe Jabari gets some PT when the coaches see we were out rebounded 45-29. Sure we're small but a lot of rebounding is who wants it the most. From what I have seen, Jabari goes after every rebound as if he owns it. That's what we need.

There's been a regression in minutes played each game. Jabari said he didn't mouth off and no ill words have been exchanged. Imo... coach feels like the younger guys are better players. But we will see how it all plays out in upcoming games. For sure it can't get any worse.

In all fairness, I think Jabari had a couple calls against him that should have or could have gone the other way. Especially the hustle play going after the ball that went out of bounds. (talking about last night's game)

Yeah I thought so too. But I think refs know he's prone to foul so they target him.

There's been a regression in minutes played each game. Jabari said he didn't mouth off and no ill words have been exchanged. Imo... coach feels like the younger guys are better players. But we will see how it all plays out in upcoming games. For sure it can't get any worse.

But Jabari is a young guy too

Reactions: 2 people
These quotes were pretty telling IMO

@GrantRamey: Lanier also said that, the fact is, Tennessee just isn't very good defensively. Has "a lot of room for growth, obviously"

@GrantRamey: Lanier: I do know Barnes is "willing to lose to get it done the way he wants it done." (In terms of getting message across to players)

Very telling indeed....especially the last comment. I suspect there are some communication issues being dealt with. His way or the bench and eventually the highway appears to be the message. I like the fact that he's making it clear the tail won't wag the dog in this program. From Kessling to the last man on the bench, Barnes appears to be setting the tone for this program going forward. Really starting to like this guy.

But Jabari is a young guy too

I know. But not to play at all today? Several guys were in foul trouble but still were substituted in and out. Today could have been a good day for him and the team. Of course now, Imo he could have made a difference in rebounding and scoring.

Very telling indeed....especially the last comment. I suspect there are some communication issues being dealt with. His way or the bench and eventually the highway appears to be the message. I like the fact that he's making it clear the tail won't wag the dog in this program. From Kessling to the last man on the bench, Barnes appears to be setting the tone for this program going forward. Really starting to like this guy.

Well obviously you are referring to Jabari (since he was the only one on the bench). What type of communication issues do you suspect? I honestly like to know. Jabari hasn't mentioned any and he certainly doesn't hold back with his family.

Last edited:
I know. But not to play at all today? Several guys were in foul trouble but still were substituted in and out. Today could have been a good day for him and the team. Of course now, Imo he could have made a difference in rebounding and scoring.

Agree

I would not be surprised if Kasongo eventually replaces Reese in the starting lineup if he keeps giving UT minutes like he did against George Washington with the rebounds and a couple of blocked shots.

Kasongo is not ready to replace anyone on this team right now. Imo

This was a bad loss. For some reason I thought Nebraska was good, but they've beat nothing but cupcakes. Just a real bad taste after this one. I wasn't expecting a tourney bid, but this was a sorry performance against an average team.

Well obviously you are referring to Jabari (since he was the only one on the bench). What type of communication issues do you suspect? I honestly like to know. Jabari hasn't mentioned any and he certainly doesn't hold back with his family.

One would have to assume...barring injury/illness....that Jabari is being benched for not doing what Barnes expects of him. Not sure what else can be drawn from his not getting off the bench today.

At this time, it appears Punter ,Moore and Hubbs are going to get big minutes. After that even though Baulkman and Reese are now getting major minutes, I don't believe we have much idea who will be getting the minutes later in the season..

Reese and Baukman are perfectly capable of losing playing time and all the other guys have already had games they didn't play or have played very little. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Maybe they just wanted to see what Kasongo/Alexander/Schofield could do with some minutes, you can't keep playing them all. IMO Kasongo looked like McGhee, foul prone and a guy who's biggest strength is rebounding, Kasongo does provide rim protection that McGhee does not. Alexander sounded to have played pretty good in his extended minutes, but again against bigger teams he will struggle. I really thought Schofield was a nice surprise, he provides an offensive punch none of those other guys do, however he's also the shortest and has to play overly physical to make up for it which will lead to fouls.

I'm not sure anyone has taken themselves out of the rotation or locked down a spot, this likely will continue to be a competition all year long. I think you may see Barnes go to Kasongo some just to try and move that development along, he's a sophomore, so his time is ticking a bit. If he appears to be a non contributor and is behind say Alexander and McGhee, then maybe he needs to look around. On the flip side if he progresses and builds off that GW spurt, maybe one of their other guys will be asked to look around.

Reactions: 3 people
One would have to assume...barring injury/illness....that Jabari is being benched for not doing what Barnes expects of him. Not sure what else can be drawn from his not getting off the bench today.

Yup

Barnes needs to get his controller out and go into the player personal info and upgrade some height and skills. Works every time on the xbox

Maybe they just wanted to see what Kasongo/Alexander/Schofield could do with some minutes, you can't keep playing them all. IMO Kasongo looked like McGhee, foul prone and a guy who's biggest strength is rebounding, Kasongo does provide rim protection that McGhee does not. Alexander sounded to have played pretty good in his extended minutes, but again against bigger teams he will struggle. I really thought Schofield was a nice surprise, he provides an offensive punch none of those other guys do, however he's also the shortest and has to play overly physical to make up for it which will lead to fouls.

I'm not sure anyone has taken themselves out of the rotation or locked down a spot, this likely will continue to be a competition all year long. I think you may see Barnes go to Kasongo some just to try and move that development along, he's a sophomore, so his time is ticking a bit. If he appears to be a non contributor and is behind say Alexander and McGhee, then maybe he needs to look around. On the flip side if he progresses and builds off that GW spurt, maybe one of their other guys will be asked to look around.

Hmmm...food for thought. 👍🏽

Last edited:

I agree but just wanted you to expound on your suspicion.

I agree but just wanted you to expound on your suspicion.

Coaches, as you and I both know, have various methods of communication available, but one is almost invariably heard....clearly....the bench. Some kids will pout, sulk and withdraw. Usually they depart at the end of the season and never really make an impact at any program. Others wake up and the benching feeds a fire that helps them grow and mature. Usually those kids go on to become a foundational type player. Should be interesting to see how it goes with this young man. The choice is his.

Reactions: 2 people
Coaches, as you and I both know, have various methods of communication available, but one is almost invariably heard....clearly....the bench. Some kids will pout, sulk and withdraw. Usually they depart at the end of the season and never really make an impact at any program. Others wake up and the benching feeds a fire that helps them grow and mature. Usually those kids go on to become a foundational type player. Should be interesting to see how it goes with this young man. The choice is his.

I must AGREE! We shall see the end result!

It's a good thing to have choices.

SMH, why WOULDNT we play Jabari?!?!

Coach seems to punishing him for that dumb foul last game which is a bit too extreme. Best players should play.

This was a bad loss. For some reason I thought Nebraska was good, but they've beat nothing but cupcakes. Just a real bad taste after this one. I wasn't expecting a tourney bid, but this was a sorry performance against an average team.

If stars mean anything, they have at least 3 4s on their roster. Haven't checked them all.
Us playing 4 guys almost 40 minutes a game didn't help our effort issues some are questioning.
Really wasn't shocked at all by the loss.

2 weeks of rest and regrouping can't hurt.

Last edited:
If stars mean anything, they have at least 3 4s on their roster. Haven't checked them all.
Us playing 4 guys almost 40 minutes a game didn't help our effort issues some are questioning.
Really wasn't shocked at all by the loss.

2 weeks of rest and regrouping can't hurt.

I hope so. The break couldn't happen at a better time

VN Store

Back