Vols vs Florida Atlantic? Thoughts?

At the end of the day, if the guys aren’t hyped and ready to play a Sweet Sixteen game in Madison Square Garden, they shouldn’t bother getting on the plane. I expect them to be breathing fire Thursday night and playing in-their-shorts defense. The opportunity is just too great. No quarter.

At the end of the day, if the guys aren’t hyped and ready to play a Sweet Sixteen game in Madison Square Garden, they shouldn’t bother getting on the plane. I expect them to be breathing fire Thursday night and playing in-their-shorts defense. The opportunity is just too great. No quarter.
Why would they not be hyped? This is some of these players last game. Right now I saw the intensity vs Duke that I saw in last years SEC Tournament Championship. I don't think there is a single player not hyped up. I don't think we will have a problem with them not giving a 110%. The only factor I fear is Officiating of which is out of this team's control.

Last edited:
Laught all you want. Missouri is not as fast as FAU and we lost to them even when we had ZZ. Went longer have ZZ. Fortunately, we have more size than FAU, both we really have not played well against quick teams who put pressure on our outside shooters. Our inside game should help if we can get the ball inside. I doubt that ON will have another 27 point game, but it would be easier if he did. In addition, we will need to hit our free throws, if we get the opportunity. The refs could control how we play. I think we win the game by 10 or so, but we will have to play well to do so.
There is strict data that measures how fast each teams play and it’s not really a matter of opinion. Yes, some guys may be quicker than others but there have been EIGHT teams on our schedule that play faster than FAU. Not my opinion, that’s just data driven facts.

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, and LOUISIANA!! All of these teams play at a faster pace than FAU, measured across the entire season And the pace of play isn’t what has beat us anyways.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Like I said I literally copy and posted your quotes, use the search feature if you’re looking for them. If you want to change your tune that’s fine and a different argument, speaking of putting words in people’s mouth do you have the quote where I said they’d be the Top team in SEC? You literally said via kenpom they’d be 2nd worst team in SEC, if you aren’t sure what something means then maybe it would be smarter not to say it then or word it different? You then went on to say they’re 1 of the 8 worst teams we’ve played, I laid out the worst teams we’ve played, South Carolina and like 7 buy games, you’re the one that said they are that bad, not me, if you want to adjust that barometer go ahead.

My contention with your take on them has been your stance laid out above, you think they’re on pace with South Carolina or a Alcorn State according to your post, I disagree a million percent, but don’t move the goal posts about how you feel about them and then act surprised when I point out that that wasn’t what you were saying.
I also quoted myself in whole posts which demonstrated my position - I’m not now changing my position. After 10 years or so I should know better than to argue with you as you’re never willing to consider another position. This back and forth is boring for me and everyone else so I really am done with it. I respect your knowledge but you struggle to understand the difference in opinions and facts. Go VOLS!

Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan, Louisville, Connecticut, duke, North Carolina and FAU? Which one of those do you not associate with being basketball power houses? Not to say that they aren’t a good team however, The team will turn back to a pumpkin before the game is over

I also quoted myself in whole posts which demonstrated my position - I’m not now changing my position. After 10 years or so I should know better than to argue with you as you’re never willing to consider another position. This back and forth is boring for me and everyone else so I really am done with it. I respect your knowledge but you struggle to understand the difference in opinions and facts. Go VOLS!
Not at all, you stated your opinion was this was a a bottom 2 SEC team and also 1 of the 8 worst teams we’ve played this year, I strongly disagree with that opinion. If you are changing your opinion to something else maybe I wouldn’t disagree, who knows, but with that above opinion I strongly disagree.

And this. Don’t find anything close to what you’re saying. I don’t follow Kenpom so maybe I’m completely wet concerning when they would be ranked if they played in the SEC since I don’t know where any teams are ranked on Kenpom. My point was Kenpom stats were one of the only things to support FAU being a toss up game and that I didn’t believe those stats are an apples to apples comparison even though Kenpom attempts to make up for scheduling differences.

These are all my opinions as usual. If you think FAU is a top SEC level team, tell me which of their players would you take over our guys. From watching their last 2 games that number is zero to me
walkenvol said:
I understand your point and don’t disagree that the computer models try to account for the weak schedule but I’m not sure if it’s really possible. What’s FAU’s record if they played 18 SEC or Big 10 games? Would be the same team but highly unlikely they’d be top 150 in Kenpom IMO. To me the only impressive win for them is Memphis. We may shoot ice cold and they shoot 3’s like that guy did from Purdue against Grant /Admiral and we lose - it’s college basketball. But, we’ve played 20+ better teams this season than FAU. JMO

Here is what bleedingTNorange is referring to. Pretty much aligns with everything he said…..I know because a lot of this was a back and forth with me. I responded to this by pointing out LSU is #147 and you are equating FAU with the bottom of the SEC. You continued to drive that point home. You then accused everyone of conflating FAU with the “top teams” we have played. No one said that. Just they are comparable to many teams (Mizzou, Vandy, TA&M, Florida, Colorado) who have beaten us. You responded only better than Colorado and made the bottom third of the SEC comment.

Other metrics than KenPom (NET, Sagarin, AP polls) tend to support the position FAU is better than the bottom two SEC team or even bottom third. We get it, you disagree. KenPom is only the most respected analytics engine in the game. It accounts for SOS.…But you said what you said. Own it! I quit responding because it’s futile. Many others feel that way too.

Last edited:
I just saw the most ridiculous analysis/ranking of the Sweet Sixteen that one could possibly do. Sports Illustrated ranked us 15 out of 16 and only ahead of Princeton. Outkick placed us third out if 16. I could understand being 3 to 5 positions apart but to be that different? I guess what they say is true. Opinions are like rear ends. Everybody got one. Now whether they make sense is another question entirely.

Reactions: orangejuice
Why would they not be hyped? This is some of these players last game. Right now I saw the intensity vs Duke that I saw in last years SEC Tournament Championship. I don't think there is a single player not hyped up. I don't think we will have a problem with them not giving a 110%. The only factor I fear is Officiating of which is out of this team's control.
I agree. Just hoping they don’t just think they are going to roll the ball out and beat FAU. I think they’ll be ready.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
We struggle when we go ice cold on offense. We beat bama a couple weeks back without ZZZ. FAU doesn’t have guards with the speed and overall talent of Quinnerly, Sears, Brooks, and Miller. Can we lose this game - sure, but it won’t be because FAU is too talented for us. JMO
Why didn’t we have Zieglar against Bama? He got hurt after that game.

Reactions: Tenacjim
I don't know anything about FAU, but this will be their 4th game in 8 days. Might start to show signs of fatigue later in the game. What do you think?
It’ll be our 4th in 9 days right? And in reality they play their guys less minutes/more balanced than us, so I would say us showing signs is more likely than them.

Reactions: berryvol
I don't know anything about FAU, but this will be their 4th game in 8 days. Might start to show signs of fatigue later in the game. What do you think?
They didn't play in a play-in game and they rotate 9 players. We should have a similar amount of game wear.

Reactions: camp_steveo
walkenvol said:
I understand your point and don’t disagree that the computer models try to account for the weak schedule but I’m not sure if it’s really possible. What’s FAU’s record if they played 18 SEC or Big 10 games? Would be the same team but highly unlikely they’d be top 150 in Kenpom IMO. To me the only impressive win for them is Memphis. We may shoot ice cold and they shoot 3’s like that guy did from Purdue against Grant /Admiral and we lose - it’s college basketball. But, we’ve played 20+ better teams this season than FAU. JMO

here is what bleedingTNorange is referring to. Pretty much aligns with everything he said…..I know because a lot of this was a back and forth with me. I responded to this by pointing out LSU is #147 and you are equating FAU with the bottom of the SEC. You continued to drive that point home. You then accused everyone of conflating FAU with the “top teams” we have played. No one said that. Just they are comparable to many teams (Mizzou, Vandy, TA&M, Florida, Colorado) who have beaten us. You responded only Colorado and made the bottom third of the SEC comment.

other metrics than KenPom (NET, Sagarin, AP polls) tend to support the position FAU is better than the bottom two SEC team or even bottom third. We get it, you disagree. KenPom is only the most respected analytics engine in the game. It accounts for SOS.…But you said what you said. Own it! I quit responding because it’s futile. Many others feel that way too.

Girls, girls! You’re both pretty!

I just saw the most ridiculous analysis/ranking of the Sweet Sixteen that one could possibly do. Sports Illustrated ranked us 15 out of 16 and only ahead of Princeton. Outkick placed us third out if 16. I could understand being 3 to 5 positions apart but to be that different? I guess what they say is true. Opinions are like rear ends. Everybody got one. Now whether they make sense is another question entirely.
You have to consider the source. The SI article was written by Pat Forde who is a notorious TN hater. Check out his Twitter feed. He is forever hurt by the whole Greg Schiano fiasco.

Outkick was founded by Clay Travis who is a huge TN fan.

The objective sites (ESPN/USA Today/Yahoo) have TN at #6 Or #8. Seems fair. They also mostly have us above FAU, KSU and MSU. Not that that means anything other than the path is there if we play to our capabilities to make our first Final Four.

Last edited:
They didn't play in a play-in game and they rotate 9 players. We should have a similar amount of game wear.
I must have misread their schedule. I just looked at it again and you're right. They beat UAB on 3/11, then the NCAAT started on 3/17 for them, so the teams should both be equally rested.

I was just looking for a weakness....

VN Store

Back