Vols vs Florida Atlantic? Thoughts?

They may run and gun, but we won't. Geeesh, a team could refuse to run back down court and we'd still set up our ½ court offense so we could get to 3 side before shooting. 😳
They may run and gun, but they cannot hide. Our team is meant to grind opponents. We just need to play our game not theirs. Viva la bully ball!

What are your thoughts on this matchup?

They are coming in hot like Loyola so they are certainly capable of winning if we go cold when the game is on the line. They have very good guard play so that will be a challenge but don’t have a ton of size, at least that plays much outside of the center so I think Tennessee’s length on defense could disrupt their guard play.

Reviewing FAU stats. They have a 7 foot player as well as a 6'9" and two 6' 8" players. So they are not small.

Their coach was an assistant at Florida for several years before taking the FAU job. So he knows the SEC.

They are in Conference USA and played a limited number of Power 5 conference teams. They lost to Ole Miss by 13. They beat Flordia at Flordia by 2. They played UAB twice in the regular season winning one and losing the other by 7 points. UAB is important because Andy Kennedy (former Ole Miss coach and SEC Network Analyst) is the coach at UAB. Kennedy has said FAU has all the components of a very good team. He should know.

I watched FAU beat Memphis by one in an improbable win. I say improbable because Memphis had the game won and played undisciplined and out of control down the stretch.

From watching FAU play, it seems they are most comfortable playing very fast. They have very quick guards so that seems like a good stragety for them. I'm sure Coach Barnes will have a game plan to establish and control the pace.

We are favorited by 5.5. Sounds about right to me.

With the exception of the center and one of the forwards, the bulk of teams points and minutes come from guards

I’m very proud of the Big Orange and looking for them to continue the fight against FAU. From what I saw, FAU seemed very arrogant in the two games I watched of them. Tennessee should be the fan favorite for overcoming a season ending injury to our “best” player, and rooting to give CRB his best run in decades. Tennessee defense should suffocate FAU, just have to match the D intensity with some good offense.

We beat Duke because we played excellent defense AND had one of our better offensive games of the season. Can we keep
shooting well? If so, you'd have to like our chances. These games typically come down to which team plays better (shoots better)
offensively--especially in the last 7 minutes. Shoot well and win.

I think the game is a lot tougher than people are thinking, maybe we blow them out, but there’s a reason Vegas & KenPom and just about every other analytical site has this around 5pts. I see posters talking double digits, saying this is one of the worst teams we’ll have played, folks saying this is a last place SEC team, there’s some major overlooking going on.
That may have been a concern as a first round opponent, but I don't see our team being cocky with anyone in a Sweet 16 game. There is just too much on the line. That rugby comment was ignorant too. He was referring to Australian Rules Football. That's not rugby.

Reactions: walkenvol
No Kobe Brown though. No one on our roster was able to defend him. I didn’t see a guy like that on FAU’s team.
With all this talk from ESPN and FAUs coach about VOLS playing rugby or bully ball I’m just worried more about their little fast as a hiccup guards getting Santi and Mashack into foul trouble. Worried enough that I hope we put in a 4-1 Zone just in case. We have plenty of bugs for this game. Let them drive in there

I’m very proud of the Big Orange and looking for them to continue the fight against FAU. From what I saw, FAU seemed very arrogant in the two games I watched of them. Tennessee should be the fan favorite for overcoming a season ending injury to our “best” player, and rooting to give CRB his best run in decades. Tennessee defense should suffocate FAU, just have to match the D intensity with some good offense.
Didn’t know Vescovi had been injured - we don’t stand a chance now!

Didn’t know Vescovi had been injured - we don’t stand a chance now!

I put the best in quotes because I’m ribbing the Vols fans who acted like the season should be shut down due to ZZ’s injury. I agree with the reality that Vescovi is the best player though

Reactions: walkenvol
Does anyone have an up to date streaming site or two for this game(s)??

My usual sportsurge.club wont connect. I live in Asia and really need to watch this one. Help please? Thanks

FAU is ranked high in Ken pom because they play nobody.

Look at their micky mouse schedule, are you kidding me
Still, they were strong enough to take down Memphis and Memphis is no cupcake. Memphis beat a bunch of SEC teams and played Houston tough 3 times and one was a victory. That's a good lookin' notch in the FAU belt. On top of that, they're a 3 ball team and we all know our history against teams like that. History shows they usually shoot lights out when they get to us for some weird reason. They're a threat and there's no denying that. Granted, I'd rather see them than one of the top seeds, but UT fans have seen this movie before. Just hope the ending is a happy one for us this time.

Reactions: Jander5212011
Still, they were strong enough to take down Memphis and Memphis is no cupcake. Memphis beat a bunch of SEC teams and played Houston tough 3 times and one was a victory. That's a good lookin' notch in the FAU belt. On top of that, they're a 3 ball team and we all know our history against teams like that. History shows they usually shoot lights out when they get to us for some weird reason. They're a threat and there's no denying that. Granted, I'd rather see them than one of the top seeds, but UT fans have seen this movie before. Just hope the ending is a happy one for us this time.
You know our season history is that we lead the nation in 3 point shot defense right?

Big Game Syndrome. Tennessee has experience with this. Does FAU?
This is a huge stage for FAU. A lot of nerves to be tested. A whole week to contemplate. If we had played the next day or the next day after yes.
A 4 day prep time is enough but experience vs a first timer may be the difference.
Everything goes out the window at this point, but what you can't toss out the window - Experience.
Some of our players have played at MSG that is an advantage in itself.
It is a Big stage.

Last edited:
Reviewing FAU stats. They have a 7 foot player as well as a 6'9" and two 6' 8" players. So they are not small.
The 2 6’8” guys don’t play, so that leaves 2 guys over 6’4”, and neither play at the same time, they rotate 1 at a time and sometimes don’t even play either and have a 6’4” guy as their 5 man…they are very small.

VN Store

Back