Vols Spring Practice Updates 3.26

So highlights I got from this.

JG looking better.
Chaney spending most of his time with the OL
OT’s seem set until Wright gets here.
JJP is a bust
Secondary is going to be a strong point this year.
DL still worrying
Morris and Crouch suck
Bitumi and Ignont finally getting coached up.

I never said they wouldn't be good .... I'm responsible to the idiots that say they are gonna start as frosh and be all this and that ... you can't put that on these kids .. strength and foot work ...are key. ... and these 2 are just gonna take longer to be solid contributors... probably as sophs ...

Well guys, all hope is gone on these two as freshman. Thanks for the professional expedited evaluation of two kids that should be finishing High School right now. Some guys just have a talent of reading about players 6 practices into their collegiate career and deeming them worthy or not. At least now we know they won't contribute this year. Hey, there is always next year.

Well guys, all hope is gone on these two as freshman. Thanks for the professional expedited evaluation of two kids that should be finishing High School right now. Some guys just have a talent of reading about players 6 practices into their collegiate career and deeming them worthy or not. At least now we know they won't contribute this year. Hey, there is always next year.
Correct !!

Reactions: LittleVol
@k-town_king good news on JG. Hopefully, the addition of Chaney has completely changed how he will function on the field. He has always had the arm strength. Hopefully this year given the freedom he said he will have as the QB makes him look like a completely different playmaker. Also, hopefully our line blocks better.

Seems like our receivers are doing a better job of route running as well. So hopefully that fixes all of the timing issues. It’s also good to hear that our young QBs are developing the way they should be.

Winchester native? So am I. The Dari Delite was out on the Cowan Highway, correct? Soft serve ice cream. As a high school student, I went to the grill/drive-in for a "late night snack"(munchies) many times, but it wasn't called Hawk's Rebel. You are talking about the one that was next to S&T Auto?
Yep. Dari De!ite was on the way to the bowling alley. Hawks later renamed his place "Hawk'Steakhouse" a while after I left. Wayne Hawkersmith is a great guy. There was a !iquor store ajoining that I think he bought and expanded into. Not sure about the auto store. The "Grill" was right across the boulevard from the high school, right? It was the turn around spot for the endless traffic back up around the square to the bowling alley. Unless the was a dance at the roller rink in Cowan. 😊
FCHS - '72

Id be glad too ... haha Im responding to those who have already declared these 2 starters and frosh AA .. so YES they need to wait a bit .. there are some fans who want to anoint some of these kids as the greatest ever ... just let the coaches coach and the kids improve at a steady pace .. quit declaring of he will start or he will start ..lets hope we dont have a true frosh start at OT and at ILB ...

We'll, be ready to be disappointed.
There's a 4 star that arrives in the fall that will start. At OLB

Last edited:
One thing to notice too ... Couch still struggling and Morris on his back by a guy who ain't dine dlddly since he been here . . I tried to tell all these so called experts that Morris and Crouch won t be big contibuters in 2019 ... but no I was told they freshman all Americans. ..... not
No offense, but this is next level idiocy.

No one knows how these two very highly rated recruits, players who all the top programs in the country actually did want....but to make some sort of definitive statement about them at this point, after the 6th spring practice of their young careers?? ..... it’s just nonsensical.

There’s plenty of reason to believe these kids will indeed contribute early and a lot over their 3-4 year careers here. There’s virtually no reason, at this point, at all, to spew the negative take you just spewed.

Any thoughts on why we split spring practice with spring break? If I was a coach I wouldn’t want to do this. Why not start now and have 4 uninterrupted weeks?
jmo, it does 3 things.

1. gives guys time to heal after banging on each other for a short bit, and just general soreness from football activity again. think of it as the open date in season.
2. retention, gives the younger guys time to let info settle, before getting after it again
3. probably lets the staff evaluate and see where they are at.

No offense, but this is next level idiocy.

No one knows how these two very highly rated recruits, players who all the top programs in the country actually did want....but to make some sort of definitive statement about them at this point, after the 6th spring practice of their young careers?? ..... it’s just nonsensical.

There’s plenty of reason to believe these kids will indeed contribute early and a lot over their 3-4 year careers here. There’s virtually no reason, at this point, at all, to spew the negative take you just spewed.
I'm just commenting on what was reported .. coaches are spending alot of time getting on Couch .. for footwork and technique cuz I assume they expecting to play early but with him learning a new position you can't expect the kid to contribute early and it shows with Morris that's strength is going to be a big issue for a true freshman a year in the weight room and he's ready to go all I was stating is from the get-go a lot of posters have already got them starting that's just not the case let the kids grow with their pace I think it's just so comical get people get on here and anoint these these guys is a great players and all Americans let them earn it

Before we put the word 5 STAR BUST JJ didn't get here till the fall and had to wait a couple of weeks before he was clear to play why don't we see how this year works out before we label him one way or the other.
Won’t be putting the word “5 Star Bust” on JJ.....seeing as how he was only a 4star rated player.

People think a 5 star is a automatic start but it isn't. Most of the best players have at least a small curve to get past. RB and WR are probably the quickest positions to make a immediate impact, but make no mistake Morris is a great prospect and will more than likely be a very good player in the near future. But folks can't expect him to come in and start day 1 or he is a failure. What we need to hope for is as the season moves on he gets more comfortable and is able to help and improves as the season goes on. Another year in the weight room will do wonders for Morris. With Crouch it's just learning a new position more than anything, he physically is ready for sure. I am sure even if Wright comes in at great shape there will probably be a curve for him as well. But still it doesn't mean that they can't contribute at least some and at some point, we should not be counting on them to start day 1 but hoping that they can contribute and help as the season goes. GBO!

So highlights I got from this.

JG looking better.
Chaney spending most of his time with the OL
OT’s seem set until Wright gets here.
JJP is a bust
Secondary is going to be a strong point this year.
DL still worrying
Morris and Crouch suck
Bitumi and Ignont finally getting coached up.

Just stop with the JJP being a bust. The dude hasnt really even played that much. Morris and Crouch suck? Jesus. If this is what you took from this update then you are beyond dumb. Its a freaking practice.

Just stop with the JJP being a bust. The dude hasnt really even played that much. Morris and Crouch suck? Jesus. If this is what you took from this update then you are beyond dumb. Its a freaking practice.

You don't think he was being just a bit facetious?

People think a 5 star is a automatic start but it isn't. Most of the best players have at least a small curve to get past. RB and WR are probably the quickest positions to make a immediate impact, but make no mistake Morris is a great prospect and will more than likely be a very good player in the near future. But folks can't expect him to come in and start day 1 or he is a failure. What we need to hope for is as the season moves on he gets more comfortable and is able to help and improves as the season goes on. Another year in the weight room will do wonders for Morris. With Crouch it's just learning a new position more than anything, he physically is ready for sure. I am sure even if Wright comes in at great shape there will probably be a curve for him as well. But still it doesn't mean that they can't contribute at least some and at some point, we should not be counting on them to start day 1 but hoping that they can contribute and help as the season goes. GBO!
The majority of 5 stars start their Fr seasons, most day 1. Way more of those guys start than don't, always have and most likely always will. Being ready to start is how they get the 5th star rating. We'll have 2 starting Fr OL before the season is over. You can't hide talent!!

All the consistent praise how good JG is performing going to hurt some feelings around here

Crazy how people seem like they are basically rooting for him to fail... I'm more interested in if our offensive line can open a damn hole. That is by far a better indicator of how good our team might be I'm home.

VN Store

Back