Vols Spring Practice Updates 3.26

Fingers

DB Kenneth George wasn't present during the open portion of today's Tennessee practice, the first since classes resumed. He was arrested over spring break.
DB Baylen Buchanan was a full participant during the drills featured in today's open period ... but participated without a helmet.
DL Kurrott Garland was dressed out for practice, but was limited in his participation today.
Early enrollee freshman CB Tyus Fields (foot) participated in drills for the first time this spring, but headed back to rehab at the end of today's open period.
Just drills with limited contact.
Junior OL Trey Smith did some mild contact today but we don't see team drills. It's more than he's done since the reappearance of blood clots, but we'll see if it means anything big picture. Pruitt expected to meet with media after practice.
-Ubben

Tennessee returned to practice field for first time in 10 days.

Couple notable takeaways: OL Trey Smith (blood clots) partook in 3-4 semi-contact reps. That’s more than we’ve seen from him all spring.

Also DB Tyus Fields (foot) was participating for the first time all spring.
-Simonton

That wasn't the case on Tuesday, when Smith jumped into drills for a few reps with the offensive line. There was very light contact involved each time Smith went, it should be noted, but him participating more even in such a fashion will do little to dim the optimism that his football career may not be over after all. It was just a few reps and it wasn't close to full contact, but it's noteworthy nonetheless.

Offensive lineman Chris Akporoghene has yet to practice after undergoing a minor knee procedure, but he was out there for the first time this spring. However, he only watched drills and did not appear to go through any of them. Pruitt said Akporoghene was expected to miss the start of the spring.

Defensive back Tyus Fields, who underwent ankle surgery in December, also was on the field having worked on the side during the first five spring practices. He likewise wasn't going through any drills and was with a trainer for the open period of practice. It's worth noting that Fields was closely watching the safeties and Star/Money group instead of the cornerbacks.

The combinations on the defensive line during three-man drills remain unchanged on Tuesday with Kingston Harris working in the middle flanked by Emmit Gooden and Aubrey Solomon in one group and LaTrell Bumphus and John Mincey working either side of Greg Emerson in the middle of the next group.

Tennessee's routes-on-air period was a little rusty on Tuesday afternoon with too many footballs on the ground.

Freshmen JT Shrout and Brian Maurer continue to be inconsistent with their accuracy. Jarrett Guarantano continues to be much sharper, as you would expect. The young quarterbacks do seem be developing a trend of getting better as those periods go along.
-Patrick Brown

A couple other notes on the OL: The tackle group stayed the same, with Jahmir Johnson and Nathan Niehaus working at left and right tackle respectively. Wanya Morris and Marcus Tatum repped behind them.

Chaney was really harping on “finishing,” dolling out compliments to Jerome Carvin and Ryan Johnson at one point. Jahmir Johnson was scolded about a pair of reps but responded with a vicious block on a scout-teamer that drew Chaney’s praise. At one point during the drill, Chaney kept hollering at “66” (Eric Crosby) to give more effort. Crosby, like Johnson, responded accordingly, and acting as the 3-technique tackle, put Morris straight on his back. Like bad. Chaney was instantly fired up and started hollering, “That’s what I’m talking about!”

At linebacker, Daniel Bituli and Will Ignont continue to lead the unit. Shanon Reid continues to look good, too. Redshirt freshman JJ Peterson, already rocking two wrist braces and a shoulder brace, complained of a foot injury during one rep. Retention, post-spring break or summer, is always a question at this time of year, and while Bituli and Ignont waltzed through Kevin Sherrer’s drills, freshman Quavaris Crouch was having issues, leading to some sharp coaching from Sherrer.
-J. Simonton

In the first practice back following spring break, Jarrett Guarantano looked the best he’s looked all spring. At least in the open portion we got to watch. Guarantano had complete command of the drill, encouraging his fellow quarterbacks – JT Shrout and Brian Maurer – and communicating with the wide receivers. Just about all of his throws were right on the money. I can only recall one throw that was a little off target.

As for Shrout, the redshirt freshman had a nice day as well. He made multiple throws in which he hit the target right in stride. Maurer also made some nice throws, but you could also tell he is an early enrollee. Right now, the freshman’s biggest focus is just being consistent.

Jaylen McCollough looks like a college safety already. He’s stout and built like a tank, hence his nickname of “Tank” McCollough. I’ll be interested to see if him and Theo Jackson jockey for a spot on the depth chart behind likely starters Nigel Warrior and Trevon Flowers.
rti

Last edited:
I feel better the guys are back practicing. I can't explain why. I just do. I also feel good that my son got his first real job at Bojangles and he is doing well. My first "inside" jobs were at the Dari Delite and Hawk's Rebel Drive-in in Winchester. Before that, usually just hauling hay and bringing in and hanging tobacco. Short order will help you develop multi-tasking skills, for sure.

And now, back to your regular programming.

Jahmir Johnson was scolded about a pair of reps but responded with a vicious block on a scout-teamer that drew Chaney’s praise. At one point during the drill, Chaney kept hollering at “66” (Eric Crosby) to give more effort. Crosby, like Johnson, responded accordingly, and acting as the 3-technique tackle, put Morris straight on his back. Like bad. Chaney was instantly fired up and started hollering, “That’s what I’m talking about!”

I know its first day back from a 10 day break, and this is spring practice, but I wish this kinda thing was happening often enough that I didn't get as excited about it as I just did.

I know its first day back from a 10 day break, and this is spring practice, but I wish this kinda thing was happening often enough that I didn't get as excited about it as I just did.
Crazy that Crosby hasnt done nothing and put Morris on his back. I guess Morris is still adjusting.

Reactions: Juan Meijers
starting to worry a little bit about Peterson's ability to stay healthy....
Is there any reason why? Just that he looks banged up right now. Body is probably still adjusting to limited contact over the last year.

Good to hear about Trey Smith. Also good to finally hear Crosby's name and putting Morris on his back bad from the 3 technique makes me wonder if they will try him again at the DL.

starting to worry a little bit about Peterson's ability to stay healthy....
Yeah, really hope he's not one of those guys who we look up and he's a senior, wondering what happened. Injuries happen, so he's got to stick with it...it's early for him. In reality, he's like a more experienced EE this year, since he redshirted. He still hasn't played his first snap, though, and if he'd got it in him, Pruitt will get it out of him, for sure.

JJP has a microscope on him because of the hype. I believe if he was hurt, the staff would rest him. Just being out there and banged up says a lot about him to me. He wants to compete. He will be fine.
We will know where he stands come the first game. We still have the majority of spring and all fall camp.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
JJP has a microscope on him because of the hype. I believe if he was hurt, the staff would rest him. Just being out there and banged up says a lot about him to me. He wants to compete. He will be fine.

Man I hope you are right.

VN Store

Back