Vols Should Join the ACC

Clemson has been down the last couple of years, but they and Florida State show you didn't have to be in the SEC to be championship caliber. At least until NIL. The cash the ESPN is going to dump into the SEC is going to make it a lot harder for anyone else to compete. It's why OU and texas jumped ship from the big 12. Vols leaving the SEC might win some conference championships, but would make a NC almost impossible because of the $.
Florida State was afraid to join SEC, HC Bobby Bowden said as much when as an Independent the up and comer joined the ACC and dominated for at least a decade. ACC was basically a group of 6 conference, I remember when Clemson was a auto OOC win until the mid 80s.

Florida State was afraid to join SEC, HC Bobby Bowden said as much when as an Independent the up and comer joined the ACC and dominated for at least a decade. ACC was basically a group of 6 conference, I remember when Clemson was a auto OOC win until the mid 80s.
Florida State is still competing for championships in the ACC and can hold their own against an SEC team like LSU.

All that SEC has not made the Vols any better.

The Vols Should Join the ACC

1. With the SEC getting Oklahoma and Texas it will be even harder to win the recruiting battle and championships. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn all have enough resources to compete yearly. If we were to join the ACC we would only have to compete with Clemson, Miami and Florida State for recruits. Also, our recruiting has not been good compared to Georgia and Bama. The Vols will not compete for championships until we get top 5 classes here which will be near impossible with the way the SEC is currently constructed.
Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Georgia

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Vols

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Unless we start pulling top 5 recruiting classes I expect no championships in the foreseeable future.

Reasons why we should join the ACC in the future
  1. Our tradition transcends our conference. From the vol walk to the vol navy our traditions would fit well in any conference and bring recruits in. We have no true rivals in the SEC. I think the Vols are capable of being in any conference and succeeding.
  2. If we were to not win 10 games again over the next decade what do we do? Do we continue to stay in a conference that won’t be getting any easier?
  3. Playoffs are the only thing that matters going forward. It doesn’t matter what conference you are in. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win it all.
Thoughts?
Do you quit when it gets hard?

And to your recruiting hypothesis it would actually make it harder. OK and TX already have their recruiting bases so the impact to TN will be minimal. They are already recruiting at a high level.

Playoffs are expanding so a loss, maybe two (to top 5 teams) isn’t going to automatically take you out of contention. If you lose 3+ you shouldn’t be in the conversation anyway.

ca

Unable to debate, so you resort to an insult. Let's try again! All that SEC money and the Vols are ranked no better than middle of the pack in the conference.
Look we aren’t going to the SEC, the vast majority don’t want to go to the SEC. If you don’t like Tennessee in the SEC go find you a team in the ACC. There is no debate because it is not a issue except for a very Mini minority that can’t handle the top competition. Tennessee is the only school besides Texas to have men’s and women’s basketball and the football team in the top 25. You can add baseball and softball to that too. Either accept reality and get behind the Vols or take up with another team in the ACC because Tennessee will not be joining the ACC. Just quit the crying! GBO!!!!!!

1. With the SEC getting Oklahoma and Texas it will be even harder to win the recruiting battle and championships. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn all have enough resources to compete yearly. If we were to join the ACC we would only have to compete with Clemson, Miami and Florida State for recruits. Also, our recruiting has not been good compared to Georgia and Bama. The Vols will not compete for championships until we get top 5 classes here which will be near impossible with the way the SEC is currently constructed.

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Unless we start pulling top 5 recruiting classes I expect no championships in the foreseeable future.

1. Our tradition transcends our conference. From the vol walk to the vol navy our traditions would fit well in any conference and bring recruits in. We have no true rivals in the SEC. I think the Vols are capable of being in any conference and succeeding.
  2. If we were to not win 10 games again over the next decade what do we do? Do we continue to stay in a conference that won’t be getting any easier?
  3. Playoffs are the only thing that matters going forward. It doesn’t matter what conference you are in. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win it all.
Thoughts?
STUPID

You're obviously getting ripped to shreds over this take, but your take is half right or half wrong depending on how you want to look at it. I think I understand what you are saying as far as moving there, because it would be the easier path to the playoffs (which is really all that matters since the invention of the BCS) so lets take the path of least resistance. That makes perfect sense, but it brings up two divergent points people need to think about.

The first is why does conference matter to you people? I understand the tradition of playing in the SEC, but if your ultimate goal is to get to the playoff, why would you want to make your path harder and not easier? Also, if people here don't support the conference when anyone else is playing for a title why does it even matter what conference we represent?

The second point is: moving conferences won't even matter in about 10 years. We are headed towards the regional mega conferences anyway as schools realize it's not good business to fly across the country just to play another team in their conference. The money and playoff will dictate a move back to regional conferences and our mega conference will combine the ACC and the SEC so you're just back where you are now.

TLDR: A middle of the road SEC team can have success by moving in the short term, but is still going to be a middle of the road team in the long run when conferences regionalize again

Reactions: DarkVolder
They are not leaving the SEC, it’s the best conference in football. It doesn’t matter what conference you’re in. If you can’t recruit top five you’re probably not gonna win championships.

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Thoughts?
This makes zero sense on any level

Reactions: arkyvol
This makes zero sense on any level
I don't agree either but it does make sense since the main goal is to win a natty, right? Do you cheer for other SEC schools in the title game? If no, then you should absolutely be ok with a move because the conference is just a vessel to get you to the playoff right? Where it doesn't make sense is that in 10 years the ACC and SEC will be one conference anyway

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Thoughts?
Just say your a troll without actually saying your a troll...Ridiculous!

I don't agree either but it does make sense since the main goal is to win a natty, right? Do you cheer for other SEC schools in the title game? If no, then you should absolutely be ok with a move because the conference is just a vessel to get you to the playoff right? Where it doesn't make sense is that in 10 years the ACC and SEC will be one conference anyway
If you don't understand the value of being a SEC team from a recruiting and $$$ standpoint and you don't understand where this consolidation of teams is going then I can see where one would want to make the mistake of leaving the SEC.

VN Store

Back