Vols Rank #3 - SOS - 2014 Season

We don't play those schools every year, so they cannot be a drain on our SOS every year.

Yes, but you guys play similar OOC teams every year that are more damaging to your SOS than Tennessee. Also, you play Arkansas every year .... they've been worse each of the last 2 years than Tennessee. And as you said yourself, Ole Miss, an annual opponent for you, has a worse overall record that Tennessee since '08.... therefore, Tennessee is not the worst drain on your SOS every year.

Last edited:
Yes, but you guys play similar OOC teams every year that are more damaging to your SOS than Tennessee. Also, you play Arkansas every year .... they've been worse each of the last 2 years than Tennessee. And as you said yourself, Ole Miss, an annual opponent for you, has a worse overall record that Tennessee since '08.... therefore, Tennessee is not the worst drain on your SOS every year.

Exactly, this blaming UT for Bama's crappy SOS is stupid. Even if UT goes 10-2 this year and everything stays equal with the other records, Bama's SOS is still ridiculous.

As a side note, that methodology is horrid anyway, and I got to agree with LG, UF's schedule is criminally underrated if we are using this system.

Reactions: 2 people

Bama plays a BCS opponent and three cannon fodder teams every year. Sounds like every other SEC team with the random exception of Florida, UGA, or USCe. And none of the other schools play their BCS opponent away from home every single time.

As for Tennessee, while I am quite confident that they will get it turned around, since '08 the greatest disparity in the overall records of the permanent cross-division rivals has been between Bama and Tennessee. And the TSIO is dead last by a very healthy margin. There is no way to argue that Tennessee isn't an annual millstone are the neck of Bama's SOS.

Bama plays a BCS opponent and three cannon fodder teams every year. Sounds like every other SEC team with the random exception of Florida, UGA, or USCe. And none of the other schools play their BCS opponent away from home every single time.

As for Tennessee, while I am quite confident that they will get it turned around, since '08 the greatest disparity in the overall records of the permanent cross-division rivals has been between Bama and Tennessee. And the TSIO is dead last by a very healthy margin. There is no way to argue that Tennessee isn't an annual millstone are the neck of Bama's SOS.

It has been argued otherwise and accurately so. We seem to be at an impasse.

UT is a damaging opponent to Bama's SOS as of late, but not the most damaging as you originally stated.....it's actually Ole Miss as you later stated.

Additionally, it certainly appears Arkansas will be the annual SEC that assumes the mantle very soon....they've carried it each of the last 2 seasons and appear to be poised to do so for a 3rd straight time this season. But never worry, we will no longer be the drag to guys that we have been in short order ....if you guys can just hang on for another year.....

Reactions: 2 people
It has been argued otherwise and accurately so. We seem to be at an impasse.

UT is a damaging opponent to Bama's SOS as of late, but not the most damaging as you originally stated.....it's actually Ole Miss as you later stated.

Additionally, it certainly appears Arkansas will be the annual SEC that assumes the mantle very soon....they've carried it each of the last 2 seasons and appear to be poised to do so for a 3rd straight time this season. But never worry, we will no longer be the drag to guys that we have been in short order ....if you guys can just hang on for another year.....

You are correct. I argued myself into a corner. While Ole Miss has has a better record than UT in 4 of the past 6 seasons, the final two Nutt years screwed their overall record. By only bringing up the overall record, my point became moot.

So, you're right. I can admit defeat.

Reactions: 1 person
But wait. Didn't Tennessee and Arkansas contribute to that SOS? Is'nt the SOS a bit of an Oxy Moron?

You are correct. I argued myself into a corner. While Ole Miss has has a better record than UT in 4 of the past 6 seasons, the final two Nutt years screwed their overall record. By only bringing up the overall record, my point became moot.

So, you're right. I can admit defeat.

Valid points on both sides. In all honesty, I was kinda splitting hairs regarding how much UT hurt Bama's SOS....it has been more than enough and will likely continue to do so for at least the 2014 season. Not much consolation for a UT fan that the only common Bama opponent the last 5 years with a worse record is Ole Miss.

Anywho, here's to hoping that Tennessee can make the annual game(s) with Alabama (and Florida) a rivalry again real soon.

VN Store

Back