Vols Rank #3 - SOS - 2014 Season

Agree, but I'm comfortable saying Bama would've spanked the hell out of OSU pretty much like they did ND.

Either way, whether it was Bama or OSU, both would've played a poor schedule before getting to the NC game, putting the lie to the idea that "to be the best, you gotta beat the best"....at least not with any frequency in college football.

Alabama's SOS was in the top 20 in almost all of the computers and #33 based solely on opp. win %. Bama did not play a weak schedule in 2012.

Alabama's SOS was in the top 20 in almost all of the computers and #33 based solely on opp. win %. Bama did not play a weak schedule in 2012.

Look, I'm in no place to criticize Alabama of recent as a UT fan, but when you look at that 2012 schedule, Bama had exactly 2 difficult games, LSU and Texas A&M. Won one and lost one. Rest of schedule broke down like this...

Beat Sunbelt conf Western Ky, 7-6 record
Beat a bad Arkansas team, 4-8 record
Beat Sunbelt conf Fla Atlantic, 3-9 record
Beat an average Ole Miss team, 7-6 record
Beat a bad Missouri team, 5-7 record
Beat a bad Tennessee team, 5-7 record
Beat a good Miss St team, 8-5 record
Beat Southern conf Western Carolina, 1-10 record
Beat a bad Auburn team, 3-9 record.
Composite record of those teams was 43-67.

Again, I'm not being critical of Alabama's NC team in 2012. They were the best team in the country IMO. But I don't care where their strength of schedule ranked that year, that's a damn weak schedule. They played an awful OOC schedule, got UT and Mizzou from the East and Auburn and Arkansas were horrible from the west.

Look, I'm in no place to criticize Alabama of recent as a UT fan, but when you look at that 2012 schedule, Bama had exactly 2 difficult games, LSU and Texas A&M. Won one and lost one. Rest of schedule broke down like this...

Beat Sunbelt conf Western Ky, 7-6 record
Beat a bad Arkansas team, 4-8 record
Beat Sunbelt conf Fla Atlantic, 3-9 record
Beat an average Ole Miss team, 7-6 record
Beat a bad Missouri team, 5-7 record
Beat a bad Tennessee team, 5-7 record
Beat a good Miss St team, 8-5 record
Beat Southern conf Western Carolina, 1-10 record
Beat a bad Auburn team, 3-9 record.
Composite record of those teams was 43-67.

Again, I'm not being critical of Alabama's NC team in 2012. They were the best team in the country IMO. But I don't care where their strength of schedule ranked that year, that's a damn weak schedule. They played an awful OOC schedule, got UT and Mizzou from the East and Auburn and Arkansas were horrible from the west.

Any particular reason you left off Michigan and UGA?

I understand that UGA was not regular season, but that game was a part of the final SOS rankings used to determine the BCSNCG, which is what brought the subject on.

Reactions: 1 person
Any particular reason you left off Michigan and UGA?

I understand that UGA was not regular season, but that game was a part of the final SOS rankings used to determine the BCSNCG, which is what brought the subject on.

Including Michigan doesn't exactly help your case. That wasn't a very good 8-4 Michigan team to say the least. Not sure how I missed them, meant to include them to further my point.

Didn't think about the post season or I would've included Georgia which was obviously a very good win. I was only looking at the regular season OOC games that Bama chose to schedule and the SEC East team they drew that season.

Including Michigan doesn't exactly help your case. That wasn't a very good 8-4 Michigan team to say the least. Not sure how I missed them, meant to include them to further my point.

Didn't think about the post season or I would've included Georgia which was obviously a very good win. I was only looking at the regular season OOC games that Bama chose to schedule and the SEC East team they drew that season.

Gonna disagree with you on Michigan. They weren't world-beaters, but to say that team "wasn't very good" is kind of inaccurate. Their four losses were all to teams that finished ranked, including three that finished in the top 5 (Bama, Notre Dame, and Ohio St). And of those, only Bama blew them out.

Gonna disagree with you on Michigan. They weren't world-beaters, but to say that team "wasn't very good" is kind of inaccurate. Their four losses were all to teams that finished ranked, including three that finished in the top 5 (Bama, Notre Dame, and Ohio St). And of those, only Bama blew them out.

Best win was what, vs #17 Northwestern? Either way, having an 8-5 Michigan on the schedule doesn't offset the other bad teams on the schedule.

Again, there's no doubt that Alabama was the best team in the country in 2012. But they didn't exactly run a gauntlet to prove it based on their weak schedule.

Best win was what, vs #17 Northwestern? Either way, having an 8-5 Michigan on the schedule doesn't offset the other bad teams on the schedule.

Again, there's no doubt that Alabama was the best team in the country in 2012. But they didn't exactly run a gauntlet to prove it based on their weak schedule.

Eh, you can only play the teams in front of you. Bama plays a BCS opponent away from Bryant-Denny every single year.

Over the past several years, the biggest drag on Bama's SOS has been having UT as a yearly opponent. When the TSIO is being used as the singular example by teams looking to do away with the 8-1-1 model, something has gone terribly awry.

That AND your OOC which is putrid. Your OOC opponents were a combined 13-35 last year. WVU went 4-8, Florida Atlantic went 6-6, Southern Miss went 1-11, and mighty FCS foe Western Carolina went 2-10; talk about a murderer's row. Bama is the poster child for cupcake scheduling.

The king of panzy OOC games is Vandy: Ole Dominion, Umass, Temple & Charleston Southern.

Eh, you can only play the teams in front of you. Bama plays a BCS opponent away from Bryant-Denny every single year.

Over the past several years, the biggest drag on Bama's SOS has been having UT as a yearly opponent. When the TSIO is being used as the singular example by teams looking to do away with the 8-1-1 model, something has gone terribly awry.

That's completely beside the point. Of course you can only play who ever is in front of you, but it still matters who they actually are when you're talking about strength of schedule.

I've bent over backwards to say that Bama was the best team in the country in 2012. Hell, they've been the overall best team in the country the last 6 years. I'm also fully aware that UT has been a drag on Bama's schedule here for awhile.....again, beside the point. Most people criticizing Bama's schedule do so because of their OOC games.

I also recall not too long ago when Bama was an automatic win for UT.....7 years in a row and 9 out of 10 years overall. It'll cycle back around in the next 2-3 years IMO. Either way, if both teams stick to their recent scheduling trends, Tennessee will continue to play one of the SEC's (OOC games included) most difficult schedules while Bama plays one of it's easiest.

Last edited:

So, Alabama hasn't played a team that hurts their strength of schedule more than Tennessee each of the past several years?

So, Alabama hasn't played a team that hurts their strength of schedule more than Tennessee each of the past several years?

Think that was just him getting a little annoyed and taking a shot at UT. Of course there are a handful of other schools who have hurt their SOS more than UT. For example, virtually all of their OOC games, a 3-9 Auburn team 2 years ago, Arkansas the last few years, etc.

Last edited:
Florida plays Alabama, Lsu, the SECe, and defending champs FSU, and we are #22?

Article invalid. Thread invalid.

That's completely beside the point. Of course you can only play who ever is in front of you, but it still matters who they actually are when you're talking about strength of schedule.

I've bent over backwards to say that Bama was the best team in the country in 2012. Hell, they've been the overall best team in the country the last 6 years. I'm also fully aware that UT has been a drag on Bama's schedule here for awhile.....again, beside the point. Most people criticizing Bama's schedule do so because of their OOC games.

I also recall not too long ago when Bama was an automatic win for UT.....7 years in a row and 9 out of 10 years overall. It'll cycle back around in the next 2-3 years IMO. Either way, if both teams stick to their recent scheduling trends, Tennessee will continue to play one of the SEC's (OOC games included) most difficult schedules while Bama plays one of it's easiest.

If UT improves, their SOS will drop. It's not possible for UT's annual opponents to maintain solid records if UT is going 10-2 or better. In the end, sports records are a zero sum game.

Since '08, when Bama got back in the hunt, Ole Miss is the only annual opponent for Bama with a worse overall record.

Since '08, when Bama got back in the hunt, Ole Miss is the only annual opponent for Bama with a worse overall record.

That's not answering the question. Bama's worst non-FCS opponent has not been Tennessee each on the past several years. Just looking back to 2008, I see Georgia State in 2013, Florida Atlantic in 2012, North Texas in 2011, San Jose State in 2010, Florida International in 2009, and Western Kentucky in 2008. There are plenty of true things you could say to take a shot at us right now, but saying we've been the biggest drag on your SOS the past several years is not one of them.

That's not answering the question. Bama's worst non-FCS opponent has not been Tennessee each on the past several years. Just looking back to 2008, I see Georgia State in 2013, Florida Atlantic in 2012, North Texas in 2011, San Jose State in 2010, Florida International in 2009, and Western Kentucky in 2008. There are plenty of true things you could say to take a shot at us right now, but saying we've been the biggest drag on your SOS the past several years is not one of them.

We don't play those schools every year, so they cannot be a drain on our SOS every year.

VN Store

Back